IGNORED

Is post-Covid 19 isoproplyhol safe for cartridges?

tripletopper

7 hours ago, tripletopper said:

It's not the strength so much.  I just spray and wipe. 

It's not so much an issue of strength as it is purity.

It's the ingredients other than the alcohol and water that have me concerned.

"70% rubbing alcohol" was, pre-Covid, the name for the kind  which has extra herbs.

The dragon punch website conspiracy is that "the herbs are unlabeled, because they are not required to be labeled."

I think they think I'm gullable.  I asked my pharmacist "If herbs are added to a rubbing alcohol, must they be listed on the ingredients list?  My discs are allergic to herbs in certain rubbing alcohols that are not in isopropylhol.". And he said everything should be listed.  So the 70% isopropylhol is a new sevondary Covid phenomenon.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit.  Is this "herb" theory found anywhere except a website called "dragon punch"?

Sorry.  I misread your comment at first.

The fact that "rubbing alcohol" contains something other than alcohol and water, and to not use that,  is fairly well documented on cartridge cleaning and optical disc cleaning instructions .  The other "facts" is only on that one website.

I'm "encoding" the name of a website where I heard it.

Before there were 2 types: "rubbing alcohol" which was 70% alcohol some water and some herbs, and 91% isopropylhol, whose only other ingredient is water.

I'm just trying to figure out if it has herbs or not.

I assume with the name "70% isopropylhol" and the only inert ingredient being water, I assume it's diluted stuff, not the mix.

The same dragon punch (code name) website is trying to convince me that a right handed  fight stick would not improve execution in Street Fighter 2.  Read my story about that.  sinistersticks.com

Edited by tripletopper
Had to address question more directly

I don't know man:

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Isopropyl-Electronics-8241-475ML/dp/B085VHNTDK

70% isopropyl and 30% water ... so yeah you can find simply water-diluted but if you really need the good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Chemical-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Bottles/dp/B00CXWANX2/

(a gallon of 99% isopropyl, you should be good no?)

15 hours ago, tripletopper said:

I think they think I'm gullable.  I asked my pharmacist "If herbs are added to a rubbing alcohol, must they be listed on the ingredients list?  My discs are allergic to herbs in certain rubbing alcohols that are not in isopropylhol.". And he said everything should be listed.  So the 70% isopropylhol is a new sevondary Covid phenomenon.

70% iso is NOT a 'new phenomenon'. It's been around for years.

I did some googling, just becuase I was curious:

The term 'rubbing alcohol' dates back to the prohibition era & was used to emphasize the product was for external use, not for drinking. ALSO, it was a very different product than today, being a liniment for massage ("rubbing"!) A liniment is a tincture of infused herbs, so I imagine this is the source of the confusion.

These days, in the US there's two kinds of 'rubbing alcohol'- isopropyl rubbing alcohol is 50-99% pure iso, with the remainder being water. Ethyl rubbing alcohol has additives, but not herbal- acetone, for example. The idea is to make sure people don't drink the stuff! 

A rubbing alcohol may contain non-medical additives for color or fragrance-so no herbs. Plus, the only one I can find noted, methyl salicylate, usually results in the product being labeled 'wintergreen oil', not rubbing alcohol.

Finally- and most importantly- this is for products with rubbing alcohol ON THE LABEL. If the label says 'isopropyl alcohol', then it's NOT rubbing alcohol. Iso is a common ingredient in homemade remedies, so it is sold as a separate product.

So if you're still worried, don't buy rubbing alcohol- buy isopropyl alcohol.

8 hours ago, tripletopper said:

Sorry.  I misread your comment at first.

The fact that "rubbing alcohol" contains something other than alcohol and water, and to not use that,  is fairly well documented on cartridge cleaning and optical disc cleaning instructions .  The other "facts" is only on that one website.

I'm "encoding" the name of a website where I heard it.

Before there were 2 types: "rubbing alcohol" which was 70% alcohol some water and some herbs, and 91% isopropylhol, whose only other ingredient is water.

I'm just trying to figure out if it has herbs or not.

I assume with the name "70% isopropylhol" and the only inert ingredient being water, I assume it's diluted stuff, not the mix.

The same dragon punch (code name) website is trying to convince me that a right handed  fight stick would not improve execution in Street Fighter 2.  Read my story about that.  sinistersticks.com

"Guidelines for the labeling of inactive ingredients from the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), which sets standards for medicine that are enforceable by the FDA, require manufacturers to disclose every single ingredient in all medications. So it's possible to learn whether something you need to avoid is lurking in your drugs."

So if there are no "herbs" listed on it, there are no "herbs" in it.  Unless you're thinking the FDA is in a conspiracy to wreck your video games.

33 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

1. there are versions of "rubbing alcohol" which have herbs.

2.  Since my 70% Isopropylhol has as it's only other ingredient water, that's what I assume too.

3.  Easy statement to accept don't need double guessing.  This lie at the dragon punch website says herbs are hidden.  I tried to see if it was confirmed.  Now if you guys also said herbs can be legally hidden, I'd try to ask my pharmacist, which said "just read the label.  If the label lies, especially on a mass basis,  you have a legitimate grievance."

4.  My default position was to "read and believe the label".  The dragon punch website said "herbs can be legally hidden in isopropylhol." I knew since I challenged their "left hand sticks are superior for everyone" lie, I'd be an unintentional villain at the dragon punch website.

At least I have the "the more sympathetic position" and the role of the underdog.  The stuff good feel-good movies are made of.

Edited by tripletopper
Clearing up something.

3 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

70% iso is NOT a 'new phenomenon'. It's been around for years.

I did some googling, just becuase I was curious:

The term 'rubbing alcohol' dates back to the prohibition era & was used to emphasize the product was for external use, not for drinking. ALSO, it was a very different product than today, being a liniment for massage ("rubbing"!) A liniment is a tincture of infused herbs, so I imagine this is the source of the confusion.

These days, in the US there's two kinds of 'rubbing alcohol'- isopropyl rubbing alcohol is 50-99% pure iso, with the remainder being water. Ethyl rubbing alcohol has additives, but not herbal- acetone, for example. The idea is to make sure people don't drink the stuff! 

A rubbing alcohol may contain non-medical additives for color or fragrance-so no herbs. Plus, the only one I can find noted, methyl salicylate, usually results in the product being labeled 'wintergreen oil', not rubbing alcohol.

Finally- and most importantly- this is for products with rubbing alcohol ON THE LABEL. If the label says 'isopropyl alcohol', then it's NOT rubbing alcohol. Iso is a common ingredient in homemade remedies, so it is sold as a separate product.

So if you're still worried, don't buy rubbing alcohol- buy isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks for confirming what I know: Don't use "rubbing alcohol".  If you use alcohol, use only xx% isopropylhol with the only other ingredient being water.

15 minutes ago, tripletopper said:

1. there are versions of "rubbing alcohol" which have herbs.

2.  Since my 70% Isopropylhol has as it's only other ingredient water, that's what I assume too.

3.  Easy statement to accept don't need double guessing.  This lie at the dragon punch website says herbs are hidden.  I tried to see if it was confirmed.  Now if you guys also said herbs can be legally hidden, I'd try to ask my pharmacist, which said "just read the label.  If the label lies, especially on a mass basis,  you have a legitimate grievance."

4.  My default position was to "read and believe the label".  The dragon punch website said "herbs can be legally hidden in isopropylhol." I knew since I challenged their "left hand sticks are superior for everyone" lie, I'd be an unintentional villain at the dragon punch website.

At least I have the "the more sympathetic position" and the role of the underdog.  The stuff good feel-good movies are made of.

The herb cannot be legally hidden.  If it's not on the label, it's not in the bottle.  We've told you that, your pharmacist told you that, the Food and Drug Administration told you that.

If, after all that, you still think Dragon Punch is the authority on the matter, there's no helping you.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

The herb cannot be legally hidden.  If it's not on the label, it's not in the bottle.  We've told you that, your pharmacist told you that, the Food and Drug Administration told you that.

If, after all that, you still think Dragon Punch is the authority on the matter, there's no helping you.

I never said the "Dragon Punch" website was an authority on cd cleaning.

I went to them because that's where people go to learn how to build custom fight sticks.  I wanted to buy one.

I need to have a right handed fight stick.  They've had it out for me when I challenged the notion that left stick is pro-player, when I say left stick is pro-arxade owner.

The fact that I didn't trust them is the precise reason why I wrote you guys.  I suspected they were lies, which you guys confirmed.

Thank you. :)

Well maybe they got hit in the head one too many times, sounds almost like it. ;)

Personally I just walk into a walgreens and get their larger of two sizes of bottles of 91% and it has from them or whoever before there never caused me a problem in like probably 30 years now.  I've never trusted the asinine sticker from Nintendo and others how it will somehow ruin your cartridges.  Honestly and intentionally as a middle finger, until I got a security bit, I used THEIR own cleaning kit and dipped their so called 'water only' side in the 91% and damn did it shine the hell out of stuff.  I'll still do it if feel the need, but as they're long off the market, I pick and choose my battles on that with paper towels.