IGNORED

Antarctic Tales - tips for prospective players

cmadruga

Folks, with the awesome Intellivision Virtual Expo behind us, as the programmer for Antarctic Tales I have been receiving questions and comments based on the game demonstration.

In particular, the main question I'm getting is the following:

"Carlos, Antarctic Tales looks good but it also looks difficult! Is it really a game for me?"

Let me say this: Antarctic Tales is a game for everyone. My 7 year-old plays it and enjoys it.
It is really not a difficult game, you just have to be attentive to a few simple principles to be able to play it well.

Many of those are articulated in the manual, but let me elaborate here:

image.png.541f90c7b3fbd014e0118e22802fc05a.png

Principle 1: manage the penguin's speed very carefully. 

There are 4 speed settings.
The game is not designed to let you cross each stage at top speed (number 4). That is humanly impossible. Top speed should only be used in 2 conditions:
- you are really close to the next outpost, and there are no obstacles left. That happens when the distance is lower than 70 Km.
- you are desperate because time is running out.
So what speed should you use? 
Speed 1? Forget it. Too slow.
I recommend starting with speed 2, and keep pushing yourself to transition to speed 3.
Speed 3 is the sweet spot, the ideal risk/benefit compromise. Eventually, you will become comfortable at that level.

image.png.485575f44b383534e3cc9898d0ea67e4.png

Principle 2: be precise when operating the disc.

It may not look like it, but Antarctic Tales is not too dissimilar to Auto Racing in terms of the attention you have to pay when handling the disc.

The risk here is affecting speed unintentionally. 
I could have designed Antarctic Tales with a cruise control mechanic: just press the desired speed on the keypad, and the penguin would stick to it.

But what would be the fun in that? Instead, Antarctic Tales rewards risk taking and precision.
Here's a pro tip for managing speed well when going through a curve: keep the disc pressed and just slide (rotate) it up or down to fine tune your speed. Nice and smooth.

image.png.01797e024bdb2019346efb6ced117317.png

Principle 3: don't get too distracted by flags.

Green flags will give you points, and purple flags will make your penguin take off.  But neither matters much for clearing each stage. You know what does matter? Fish. 
And that takes us to the next principle...

Principle 4: you should aim to pick up fish regularly. 

In Antarctic Tales, fish will not only give you points, but also TIME. 
Because of that, fish are a true life line when playing at advanced stages.

image.png.e586147c7ab19e314c2e91be757324d4.png

Principle 5: don't get discouraged by bumping frequently into obstacles.

Here is another pro tip: if the distance left is less than 10x the time left, you are doing all right.
Examples: 
30 seconds with 200 Km left? You are doing well. 
50 seconds with 800Km left? Start picking up fish regularly and maintain speed #3 as much as possible. Do not despair, keep it steady.

Another way to know if you are playing well?
- If you run one full lap around Antarctica, congratulations! That's a GREAT performance.
- Two laps? You are AWESOME.
- Three laps? Well... please record it next time so I can learn from you ;-)

Hope this helps clarify some of the questions.

If not, shoot!

Thanks, 
Carlos

image.png.189f1e4a40ad59db448a725a69fb3a7f.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Thought about bumping this, as more folks are experiencing the game at this point.

Thank you Carlos for bumping the thread.

I forgot you posted these great tips,and I have been playing the game wondering what I am doing wrong and how to get better.

I just read them and the  controlling speed and fish tip will be super helpful to me!

I have been trying to catch the purple flags which speed you up tremendously and make the Penguin actually fly until you collide with an object.

I did notice this fact is not mentioned in the booklet.

Regardless,now I will focus on catching fish to add time.

Thanks a million  sir,great game!??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I have been trying to catch the purple flags which speed you up tremendously and make the Penguin actually fly until you collide with an object.

I did notice this fact is not mentioned in the booklet.

Oops! I guess it slipped through the cracks.

To be honest the purple flag is more helpful early in the game. At more advanced stages you will end up bumping against seals pretty fast.

At the end of the day, the game is really about managing speed carefully and eating fish ;-)

Another tip: secret codes

As mentioned in the manual, if you enter '1610' at the title screen, the game will enter "Tuxedo Night" mode.

That will make more fish popup. Good for practicing!

And now for a code not mentioned in the manual... '1002' will enable "Trainer Mode".

A stress-free experience: you will be invincible.

Also a good way to let young children experience the game ?

Edited by cmadruga
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Oops! I guess it slipped through the cracks.

To be honest the purple flag is more helpful early in the game. At more advanced stages you will end up bumping against seals pretty fast.

At the end of the day, the game is really about managing speed carefully and eating fish ;-)

Another tip: secret codes

As mentioned in the manual, if you enter '1610' at the title screen, the game will enter "Tuxedo Night" mode.

That will make more fish popup. Good for practicing!

And now for a code not mentioned in the manual... '1002' will enable "Trainer Mode".

Very glad that you mentioned the trainer mode!

I used that on HELI just to play through and see all the levels which I personally had no chance of doing on my own.I did play it a lot first,great game. 

I really enjoyed the ability to do that!.?

As much as a big collector as I am,I do try to play through each game as much as I can as well.

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.

11 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Young children, Rev, myself...

• Haha 5