IGNORED

OoeyGUI v4.0 Released!

Shift838

I believe I have worked out as many bugs that were reported.  

Below are the links to my sourceforge site hosting the packages for Windows, Linux, MacOS and Raspberry Pi OS.

Main site.  

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ooey-gui-mess-launcher/

Manual: HERE

Version 4.0.3 Released 03/08/2021

Windows Version : HERE

Linux Version : HERE

MacOS Version : HERE

Raspberry Pi OS Version : HERE

I have added quite a few new features to this version such as the touchless MAME installation and configuration which covers downloading and installing of MAME, Cartridges (.zip format), a few disks and rom files as well as the TIIMAGETOOL.  Internet connection required.

Please report any issues on my sourceforge site.

@arcadeshopperhas suggested to have a demonstration via a the Zoom meeting.  I think that is a great idea.  Lets get it set up.

Enjoy!

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the release!

Ran it on my Mac today, Catalina 10.15.5. To get it to launch successfully, I had to turn Gatekeeper off completely for the first run because the binaries aren't signed. Just permitting the first binary wasn't enough, because then it launches Python and fails. So I did this:

sudo spctl --master-disable
./ooeygui
sudo spctl --master-enable

I only had to do this for the first run. I believe it marks the binaries as safe once you run them for the first time. I'll keep an eye out for a simpler way to deal with Gatekeeper.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InfiniteTape said:

Congrats on the release!

Ran it on my Mac today, Catalina 10.15.5. To get it to launch successfully, I had to turn Gatekeeper off completely for the first run because the binaries aren't signed. Just permitting the first binary wasn't enough, because then it launches Python and fails. So I did this:

./ooeygui

I only had to do this for the first run. I believe it marks the binaries as safe once you run them for the first time. I'll keep an eye out for a simpler way to deal with Gatekeeper.

Thanks for posting that.  I’ll get it added to the doc next day or so.

• Like 1

Ooeygui is not working for me.  If I pick devicenames, the first disk does not have a path and the xml shows the same thing.  I was configuring for a GenMod Geneve with Myarc HFDC.

I installed ooeygui hen installed the latest version of Python and the Java JRE.

Also, when I asked ooeygui to install the latest version of Mame to a newly created directory, it got stuck at 3% and went no further.

Beery

5 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Ooeygui is not working for me.  If I pick devicenames, the first disk does not have a path and the xml shows the same thing.  I was configuring for a GenMod Geneve with Myarc HFDC.

I installed ooeygui hen installed the latest version of Python and the Java JRE.

Also, when I asked ooeygui to install the latest version of Mame to a newly created directory, it got stuck at 3% and went no further.

Beery

What os Beery?

I installed without issue in windows 10 with mame install and ran 4/a emu with pre-loaded carts easy 

Well, before I installed the Python updates and the Java files, I tried running the MAME Install and it stuck at 3% and it never proceeded further.

I also have a Java 8 Update installed which I think is required for a specific program, so I did not uninstall it.

Beery

On 11/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, InfiniteTape said:

Congrats on the release!

./ooeygui

OoeyGUI was working fine for me on Catalina.  After upgrading to Big Sur, it doesn't launch - it hangs.  I tried updating to 4.0.1 and it still hangs.  I tried the spctl command above and that didn't help.  I even tried removing the quarantine flags with:

xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ooeygui

And that made no difference.

When I launch, it shows up in the dock, but no window opens.  The only logged output is:

pygame 2.0.0 (SDL 2.0.12, python 3.7.2)
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
qt.qpa.fonts: Populating font family aliases took 1032 ms. Replace uses of missing font family "OCR A Extended" with one that exists to avoid this cost. 

At that point it is hung and I have to force quit it from the dock - I can't even control-C to quit.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, webdeck said:

When I launch, it shows up in the dock, but no window opens.  The only logged output is:

qt.qpa.fonts: Populating font family aliases took 1032 ms. Replace uses of missing font family "OCR A Extended" with one that exists to avoid this cost. 

At that point it is hung and I have to force quit it from the dock - I can't even control-C to quit.

@webdeck

Attached is 'ooeygui.ui'.  Rename your version of the file on your MAC and save this one in that location and try it.  I have changed the Font to standard Verdana to remove the error you were seeing about the font family above.  Let me know if that works on Big Sur.

ooeygui.ui

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shift838 said:

@webdeck

Attached is 'ooeygui.ui'.  Rename your version of the file on your MAC and save this one in that location and try it.  I have changed the Font to standard Verdana to remove the error you were seeing about the font family above.  Let me know if that works on Big Sur.

ooeygui.ui 167.98 kB · 3 downloads

That removed the warning message, but it still hangs on launch until I force-quit it.  Now the only output is:

4 hours ago, webdeck said:

That removed the warning message, but it still hangs on launch until I force-quit it.  Now the only output is:

This was not tested on Big Sur.  I'll load up a VM with it and see if I can figure it out.  but although I may get it working on a VM with Big Sur on it, the behavior on an actual real iron hardware may vary!

1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

This was not tested on Big Sur.  I'll load up a VM with it and see if I can figure it out.  but although I may get it working on a VM with Big Sur on it, the behavior on an actual real iron hardware may vary!

Thanks.  Is there a way to turn on more logging so that I can give you more data to help debug it?

12 hours ago, webdeck said:

Thanks.  Is there a way to turn on more logging so that I can give you more data to help debug it?

So I am using 'pyinstaller' to compile the source to binary.  The source itself works on Big Sur, but after compiling the binary just freezes after launch on Big Sur OS version.

After some research there are quite a few people filing issues with the 'Pyinstaller' developers about the issue, I added mine too.  Looks like a compatibility issue with pyinstaller and Big Sur around the Libraries.  I even thought to run a separate compile for Big Sur, but pyinstaller will not even compile as it cannot find any of the libraries that are required although they are installed.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

tried to install this on ubuntu 18.04 but the compiled version has newer libraries not provided.. 

[14493] Error loading Python lib '/home/gregory/Downloads/Linux-x64-OoeyGUI-v4.0.1/libpython3.8.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /home/gregory/Downloads/Linux-x64-OoeyGUI-v4.0.1/libpython3.8.so.1.0)

G

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

tried to install this on ubuntu 18.04 but the compiled version has newer libraries not provided.. 

[14493] Error loading Python lib '/home/gregory/Downloads/Linux-x64-OoeyGUI-v4.0.1/libpython3.8.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /home/gregory/Downloads/Linux-x64-OoeyGUI-v4.0.1/libpython3.8.so.1.0)

G

OoeyGUI v4 was compiled on Ubuntu 20.04.  This was because mame 0226 requires the GLIBC v2.29 and that is included in 20.04 of Ubuntu.  My vanilla version of 18.04 will not run MAME 0226 since it does have the correct version of GLIBC anyway and it's not available.

One option may be to compile the original GLIBC 2.29 source on Ubuntu 18.04 possible then recompile OoeyGUI on 18.04 to include the binaries.

• Like 1

I have been able to get OoeyGUI v4.0.1 working on MacOS Big Sur.  The new version is posted on my sourceforge site.

I ended up having to downgrade Python3 to v3.7.6 from 3.7.8 in order to get it working.  It's not python itself, but seems to be an combined issue with 'pyinstaller' and Big Sur.  But its working..

All links to the latest version are updated in the first post of this thread.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Shift838 said:

I have been able to get OoeyGUI v4.0.1 working on MacOS Big Sur.  The new version is posted on my sourceforge site.

I ended up having to downgrade Python3 to v3.7.6 from 3.7.8 in order to get it working.  It's not python itself, but seems to be an combined issue with 'pyinstaller' and Big Sur.  But its working..

Thanks for the quick fix!

9 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Sounds like I may need to downgrade Python as well.  I'm out of town on business and will tackle this weekend.

I am having a helluva time getting this to work on my brand new Raspberry Pi 400. Every thing goes smoothly, everything loads up to 98% on the MAME install window and then it just crashes.  I do not get the "MAME was installed successfully" window.    It just crashes.   I will say I am brand new to Rpi and brand new to MAME so I really would like to know if anyone has made this work with the 400.   I need help, if there is any info you need please ask so I can learn what to do to help. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidC said:

I am having a helluva time getting this to work on my brand new Raspberry Pi 400. Every thing goes smoothly, everything loads up to 98% on the MAME install window and then it just crashes.  I do not get the "MAME was installed successfully" window.    It just crashes.   I will say I am brand new to Rpi and brand new to MAME so I really would like to know if anyone has made this work with the 400.   I need help, if there is any info you need please ask so I can learn what to do to help. 

From my understanding the Raspberry Pi 400 is a standard Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB ram.

May I ask what OS you have on it if?  I have tested on a RPi4 and a couple of others have and it has installed with no issues.

May I ask where it stops for the 98%  can you take a screenshot or copy the contents of the status window and post please.

When it reads 98% it should be around after TIIMAGETOOL has been downloaded.  After download it should expand TIIMAGETOOL.

You should have a 'tiimagetool' within the directory where you flagged MAME to be installed.  If not, then please also check your 'temp' folder within the folder where you ran OoeyGUI to see if the TIIMAGETOOL.zip file is there.

Edited by Shift838