IGNORED

Best Classic Computer for Word Processing TODAY

doug0909

I recently saw a thread on an Apple II Facebook page asking who is currently using a IIGS to do actual work. Predictably, not much for answers, mostly just a few people who want "distraction free word processing."  I guess that makes sense, with reliability and of course computing power issues. 

On that note, if someone were to set up a computer for distraction free writing which doesn't require much internet research (memoire, fiction), for a virus safe, and of course charming, writing experience... which classic computer would be best? 

I grew up with Apple IIc, but despite my love of Appleworks, I know that's not the answer... Lame keyboard and a weird 80 column mode in terms of pixel use that caused some eye strain even with my sharp (tiny) monochrome monitor.  I don't think the IIe was the answer either due to that display, even with a better keyboard. Is the IIgs the answer? How's that keyboard for extensive typing? How does the IIgs version of Appleworks hold up today? 

Or maybe it's the C64 or C128 running GEOS off off of a hard drive so you don't have disk access issues with the 1541 drive...

Are the other 16 bits better, Amiga and ST, or did they add things you don't need for distraction free writing, which slow things down?  Classic Mac? 

Is Word Prefect for DOS 5 or 6 on an old PC, attached to a sharp monochrome monitor or a modern monitor with VGA input, the best option? Seems a bit less charming to me. 

Issues to consider in addition to keyboard quality and viewing experience would be startup/bootup time, ease of making backups, and word processor features and enhancements (spell check, thesaurus...).

As my personal experience doesn't extend beyond the IIc and Word Perfect for DOS (on to Word Perfect for Windows and Word after that) I'm curious what people with wider experiences, and who are Word Processing on older computers today, think.  I do have a IIgs, C128, Amigas, and Atari ST in my current collection waiting in the wings if I can figure out something to do with them other than play games... 

Edited by doug0909
  • Like 1

I guess it depends if you want a WIMP environment or you are okay with 'Terminal' type display. Also you probably want WYSIWYG formatting on screen too?

For basic Word Processing, an old PC running Word Perfect is probably a good choice. You also have the the Amstrad PCW256, which came with a printer. However, the 3 inch disks are hard to find so you would want a Gotek fitted.

For the mouse and icon fans then the Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIGS, Archimedes(Loved it) or classic baby Mac. A 386/486 with Windows 3.1 would also work. But obviously with these you can be lured to other apps that may distract you.

I thought my C64 was great in the day but I couldn't see myself putting up with it's word processor today.

If I had to choose from my current collection which device I was going to use to write my bestselling novel on then I would probably choose either Office on my Mac SE/30, EasiWriter on my Archimedes or my Amstrad PCW for that classic green screen goodness and all in one solution with printer. The first two can work with MSWord format so you can get your files onto a modern machines.

• Like 3

A classic Mac like the ones fimbulvetr mentioned would be good choices.  Others options could include a TRS-80 Model III or IV or a PC-DOS machine running Word Perfect (5.1 being one of the best verisons).  Those are just my opinions, but lots of options out there for sure.

• Like 2

#1 consideration for me would be keyboard quality.  It has to have a good feel.  If I was using an Atari 8-bit, the 800 would be the best bet here,  for the ST like, a Mega ST rather than the mushy keyboards of the 520/1040ST line.   But my favorite in this department would have to be the old IBM 5150.   The keyboard on that thing felt amazing!

#2 WYSIWYG vs no -  When I write, I like to just focus on writing.  Formatting is a distraction.   I'll write my paragraphs and then go back and add formatting at the end.   So because of this, a simple text editor does the job nicely,  it doesn't even need to be a full-fledged word processor.  I'll can paste my text into a word processor when it's time to format.    So it has to be a word processor or text editor that doesn't get in the way.

Also having more than 40 columns is nice, so I would shy away from the old 8-bits.

• Like 2

I think it depends on what you want out of your word processing. ;-)  

When I was setting up my A1200, it had networking so I decided to set up printing.

Didn't want to deal with Amiga driver issues, so I went with Postscript output on the Amiga that I can print to any device on my home network that supports postscript.  Which of course was none of my printers. ;-)

But Ghostscript on a Raspberry Pi allowed me to print from him.

So with that, I can fairly easily use a nice GUI WP (Wordworth 7) to print over the network.

I used to be a huge WordPerfect fan, and there is WP on the Amiga, but it only saves to an older format that modern programs won't convert.

So if you want something that you can save the file and possibly open on a PC, Wordperfect is only good if you are fine with plain text.

Wordworth supports RTF and WP 5.x formats for saving as by the way... Another reason I use it, although I haven't needed that feature yet.

Now, with all that said, I think my choice in general would be a classic Mac with ethernet networking.

It has the newer(ish) versions of WordPerfect and MS Word available, and I think the Word 4/5 ish versions might be some of the best Word Processors ever.

Unfortunately, my Mac Classic doesn't have networking so I haven't dug into that much yet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

Another option, if you want to go really focused and text only, is a Tandy WP-2 

The biggest challenge that I can see is getting the text from it onto a modern system. Are there any options other than serial port transfer?

Personally, having used a WYSIWYG word processor since WordPerfect 6 (1993 or thereabouts), I am now unwilling to go back to anything less. I routinely use block indented quotations, footnotes, and other features in my writing, so a simple text editor would be inadequate for my needs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

Another option, if you want to go really focused and text only, is a Tandy WP-2 or a TRS-80 Model 100. They have excellent keyboards, are portable, and run for a long time off of AA batteries. I prefer the Tandy WP-2 for writing, even though the keyboard on the TRS-80 is a bit better. 

The 200 would be best for these stuff if you were to go for word processing on a T laptop. 16 columns is significantly better than 8 and the keyboard is much better than the 100's. Although all suffer from only having 40 columns.

If I were to use a vintage computer for word processing I'd go for a CP/M machine like a Kaypro II or a straight up word processor. No games, distractions, anything. Just a monochrome monitor with sharp text, 80 columns, no color, and a nice keyboard. You could use a gotek to transfer files between it and your modern machine. Also there are TONS of business software for CP/M machines you can use.

Or maybe if you're rich a MDA PC 5150. It has the best feeling keyboard in the history of keyboards, easy file transfers, and the same file format as modern machines. Also has lots of business software.

1 hour ago, jhd said:

The biggest challenge that I can see is getting the text from it onto a modern system. Are there any options other than serial port transfer?

Personally, having used a WYSIWYG word processor since WordPerfect 6 (1993 or thereabouts), I am now unwilling to go back to anything less. I routinely use block indented quotations, footnotes, and other features in my writing, so a simple text editor would be inadequate for my needs. 

Serial transfer is easy with Tandy laptops. You can use mComm which emulates a TPDD and extracts the files into a folder. You can rename your *.ba file to *.txt and you'll have a nice usable text file.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting question for me, as I often find myself speculating what it would have been like to rely on any of the computers in my vintage collection.

When I was a kid (back in the 80's and 90's) my computer access was much more limited than it is now, restricted to either my grandfather's //e or whatever was available at school (usually more //es, later some Macs).  Eventually, I did get a Mac SE which lasted through junior-high.  Then, some years later, I was given an Apple //c.  I actually did a fair amount of writing on these (mostly school assignments and such).  Since then, my collection has expended considerably.  When it comes to word processing, the three key factors are the keyboard, display (both the available monitor and the interface the computer is capable of displaying), and last, the Available software.  

Looking back, the Apple IIs were probably my favorites.  Interestingly, I actually preferred my //c (amber alps) over the //e.  Of all the computers I own, this is possibly my favorite keyboard (really want to get a Model M though).  The size is actually the same as the standard //e with good travel and a very satisfying click (perhaps a little louder than some prefer, but I like it).  As for software, I mostly used BankStreet Writer but my grandfather used AppleWorks.  Both are fine, but the mouse support in BankStreet made it a little more intuitive coming off my experience with a Mac.  

As for my IIgs...  It really depends on the keyboard attached.  At present, all I have are various Mac ADB boards that are nowhere near as satisfying as my //c.  Also, I don't have the RGB monitor and composite on a IIgs is kinda subpar compared to a //c or //e (especially on a color monitor).

Of the other machines I have, the VIC-20 has my favorite keyboard of my Commodore machines (PET style), but the 22 column display and lack of word processing software (yet to find one with a spellcheck) makes it less than ideal.  The C64 is better, but I don't like its version of BankStreet, and he full color display is somewhat less readable than the Apple IIs.  Also the keyboards tend to be somewhat mushy.  As for GeoWrite...  I may as well be back on my Macs.  (I'll reevaluate if someone can point me to better software.)

My Model III (TRS-80) is better in that regard.  The keyboard is bigger and almost as clicks as my VIC-20.  And the white phosphor display is both clear and easy to read.  Don't have any software to review, but just typing in BASIC is fun and between the keyboard and display, my Model III has become one of my favorites to work with.  

My Cocos (both Coco 2s) on the other hand, are less than ideal.  I'm limited to RF for the display (awful), and I haven't found any decent word processors to work with so far.  Also the keyboards are some of my least favorite (especially the melted).

AtariWriter is all I have for my Atari 800XL.  I honestly never liked the keyboard on this machine.  The keys wiggle, and the misplaced RETURN key has tripped me up more than a few times.  That and the display and interface isn't much better.  I'm sure that there are better word processors out there, but I can't load them at the moment.  I have similar complaints about the Ti-99, and do I even have to bring up my Sinclairs?  I mean does the ZX81 even have a word processor?  I know the Spectrum does, but that rubber keyboard...  ?   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Usotsuki said:

I'd either say AppleWorks on a //e or //c, or WordPerfect on an XT.

ETA: You could use the 8-bit AppleWorks on a GS, and if you don't like the keyboard almost any Mac board should work.

//e. Out of every keyboard I've ever actually used the //e comes in second only losing to an IBM Wheelwriter typewriter which I think uses a Model M style keyboard. I haven't used a //c but I can't imagine it being any better than the //e's. Besides, the //e is sturdier, more reliable, and more expandable.

But I still think you should use a PC 5150. Excels in every category except for its ludicrous price tag.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 2

For DOS based PC I would go with Professional Write it was simple and easy to use. 

PW.thumb.PNG.cb1acc1f3c0b0f73db6c048bb8ecb9b1.PNG

If you want to go with a later word processor, like for Windows 3.11, AmiPRO 3.0 << AVAILABLE HERE >> was my favorite for years until WORD came out and later improved.  Of course you may have issues with printer drivers if you are using a recent printer.

AmiPRO.PNG

• Like 3

I don't think later PCs(386 or newer) are really relevant since they have lots of distractions and things to play around with... maybe that's just me.

I think the older Macs would also be a neat option, especially an SE with a SCSI2SD. It's less distraction free than the really old Macs but those aren't exactly throw-your-keyboard-in-rage-trying-to-transfer-files free.

• Like 2

I began a personal journal decades ago with my Apple II+ and AppleWriter. Eventually I grew into MagicWindow and AppleWorks. I even used the text editor built into ProTerm. And.. they.. just.. worked.. I especially liked the ProTerm editor because it was simple and I was into BBSing and stuff. It had just enough commands to satisfy what I was doing. There was no need to try anything on the C64 or Atari 8-bit lineup.

I liked the crisp response of the text going straight to the screen and main memory. No bit-mapped nonsense. No ostentatious GUI. No overtly complex disk operations. And data import/export worked great with either a serial cable or null-modem, or even the modem-to-modem trick without a phone line. It was easy to push files and chunks of text around the hard disk and floppies of interest. There were even the PC Transporter and CP/M options - but I never ventured into those areas much.

Today it is practical and easy and fast to get data to and from an Apple II series rig. There's the ubiquitous serial port and ADTpro. CFFA3000, BMOW floppy emu, and other choices too. Then of course there's AppleWin Emulator, Copy II+, and CiderPress utilities for working with the disk images you move back and forth. And more. Only thing left is to decide on the word processor of your choice.

I was completely happy with the feature set till the late 80's, by which time I was naturally wanting something more. More storage, more versatility with color text, direct compatibility with real computers. I tried the Amiga and found it to be wholly unsuited to my style. Too much disk swapping. Slushy bit-mapped text. Rubberyish keyboard. Tedious file transfer to other computers, and tedious acceptance of files from my Apple II. Disk operations that took too much time and even more disk swapping. Unreliable 3.5" media. Unconventional commands. Weird proprietary file formats. Incompatibility with the growing PC standards. Inhomogeneous features across word processing packages. The whole experience was one of wasting time trying to learn something that obviously wouldn't be used anywhere.

The next stop would be a 486 PC. Ordered one and felt like a million bucks having a full MS-DOS and Windows workstation all my own! Right.. in.. my.. bedroom.. Imagine that!

Loved the instant response of contemporary DOS applications. The lightning quick text screen. The immense storage capacity of a 200MB HDD. The compatibility of real serial and parallel ports. Ability to use 3.5" & 5.25" disks and those 100MB ZipDrives. Many file standards (and not so standard standards) to pick from. Choices of real terminal programs like ProComm+ and so much much more that a real business computer bought to the table.

I immediately took a liking to Word 2.0a for Windows 3.1 and have used it and later variations ever since. Of course bouncing back and forth between Notepad and WordPad as desired.

The 486 and early Pentium era would likely be the last of the true DOS machines. Though many a-hobbyist (including myself) have real MS-DOS running on a fast Pentium III with real ISA hardware support and interrupts. Real serial and parallel ports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

I believe we had a Pro Write version back on my Windows 3.1 machine back in the day.  Good word processing program and was dead simple to use.

Yeah, I really loved this program.  It also worked with other programs and 'automagically' imported the text from other applications.  Back when I still did packet radio I used it for years as my editor of choice when writing or replying to messages.  I especially liked the dictionary and how easy it was to add words.   Up until I got my new computer with Windows 10 I still had a functioning copy.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Omega-TI said:

Yeah, I really loved this program.  It also worked with other programs and 'automagically' imported the text from other applications.  Back when I still did packet radio I used it for years as my editor of choice when writing or replying to messages.  I especially liked the dictionary and how easy it was to add words.   Up until I got my new computer with Windows 10 I still had a functioning copy.   

Yep, it was great.  I didn't even use MS Word until I got to college, and even then Pro Write was my daily driver until I got a Windows 2K laptop back in the Summer of 2000 to replace the Windows 3.1 machine I had.  Great memories for sure and hard to believe that PCs had very good alternative word processing programs apart from what MS was throwing out there.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Have you tried virtualization/emulation to continue using it?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, doug0909 said:

On that note, if someone were to set up a computer for distraction free writing which doesn't require much internet research (memoire, fiction), for a virus safe, and of course charming, writing experience... which classic computer would be best?

Why not?  George R.R. Marlin uses an original IBM PC to wirte his Game Of Thrones novels mainly because he still prefers using Wordstar and also it's off the Internet away from hackers.

Are the other 16 bits better, Amiga and ST, or did they add things you don't need for distraction free writing, which slow things down?  Classic Mac? 

The old 16-bit machines (save for the Amiga) didn't have any multitasking so you can just focus on doing one thing.  If you do need anything additional to run along side, like spell checkers, than desk accessories are ideal.

I know vintage Macs have charm as word processors but IMHO the typeset fonts are a distraction, unless you use the Undo command than changing fonts will add formating bloat to our file which makes it a pain for conversion.

Is Word Prefect for DOS 5 or 6 on an old PC, attached to a sharp monochrome monitor or a modern monitor with VGA input, the best option? Seems a bit less charming to me. 

Yes!  I used it in college computer labs and it works great.  It either lets you use a GUI or classic keyboard commands.  You can import WP files into modern programs like Office and you can get real good mechanical keyboards for older PC clones like the IBM Model M.

Not to mention that it's easier to use floppy disks to transfer from old PC's to new ones while other vintage computers need a Gotek drive and some way to convert specialized files into ASCII text at least.

As my personal experience doesn't extend beyond the IIc and Word Perfect for DOS (on to Word Perfect for Windows and Word after that) I'm curious what people with wider experiences, and who are Word Processing on older computers today, think.  I do have a IIgs, C128, Amigas, and Atari ST in my current collection waiting in the wings if I can figure out something to do with them other than play games... 

From my personal experiences using the Atari ST, my favorite WP is 1st Word Plus which has both a GEM interface and a spell checker.  I also like Marcel which reads and saves RTF files.  Stay away from anything thast requires GDOS, it's a real PITA to setup and bitmap fonts look real ugly in printouts...

BTW, you can also get distraction free modes with current WP's including Office.  It goes full screen with colors that are easy on the eyes but you just have to resist the temptation of opening a web browser.

• Like 1

Thanks for the interesting discussion, I'll take a look at some of the suggestions. I had never even heard of pro write. I'm saddened that nobody is telling me how doable Apple or Commodore GEOS would be with the right rig, accelerators and extra ram and hard drive, or that there were other 8 bit systems which did 80 column display better than the Apple II... Was also thinking that some 16 bits might have used the extra power for Word Processors more focused on speed and crisp display, WYSIWYG or not.  Interesting about how great that IBM keyboard was though... 

• Haha 1