IGNORED

Upgrading a 600XL

Larry

I'm getting ready to upgrade a new NTSC 600XL.  I'm wondering about what to do with the video.  How does UAV compare to upconverted to HDMI?  I've used the PC All-in Wonder card with S-Video for many years, but I'd certainly consider a newer alternative.  As far as the UAV goes, are there any issues in installing one in a 600XL that is only fitted for RF output? I know I'll have to remove the RF modulator to put in the Video Jack. That's not a problem.

I'm also wondering about putting in Antonia 4MB upgrade vs U1MB?  I know that the 65816 processor causes a few incompatibilities as opposed to having the 6502 in the U1MB.  Any (friendly) opinions on these?  ASAIK, both these require that a 16K machine must be upgraded to 64 MB -- is that correct?

Edit:  I also wonder about RetroTINK -- is the picture size scalable?  That is always an advantage with the earlier ATI AIW cards.  I know the RetroTINK gets a lot of positive feedback.

-Larry

Remember, if you install a video DIN jack on an NTSC 600XL, you will also have got cut a hole for the monitor jack. Can’t speak to the Antonia, as I have no experience with it.

As for the RetroTink, although the picture quality is quite good, it is only as good as the input signal and (crucially) it is a simple scan-doubler only. That is to day, for an NTSC source, it expects a 240 line input. It will double that to 480p, period. If you run a game or program with a non-standard number of lines in the ANTIC display list program, there is an excellent chance your TV will choke on the signal with a non-standard resolution. HDMI is *not* very forgiving in that regard. This is not a common problem when used with A8 machines, but it can happen. It can also happen with 5200 games and especially with 2600 games, which run literally scanline by scanline ... A lot of 2600 games will cause the RetroTink to choke, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

are there any issues in installing one in a 600XL that is only fitted for RF output? I know I'll have to remove the RF modulator to put in the Video Jack.

You don't have to remove the RF modulator if you add a hole and install a DIN-5 socket for a monitor jack that functions like most other 800/XL/XE machines. Unless you really want it pcb mounted in the original motherboard footprint.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Larry said:

ASAIK, both these require that a 16K machine must be upgraded to 64 MB -- is that correct?

The U1MB requires the 600XL to be upgraded to 64K before installing it but the ANTONIA does not.  I think that the ANTONIA is just about the perfect upgrade for a 600XL because of this.  Plus it gives eight open OS slots vs the four that U1MB has.  The ANTONIA fits nicely into the 600XL too whereas the U1MB takes some finagling get it into that tiny shell.  I have a 600XL with both an ANTONIA and a SOPHIA DVI board in it and it is a fantastic, powerful little machine.  I would highly recommend going this route. 

• Thanks 1