IGNORED

Connect a modern computer to a Radio Shack/TRS-80 printer?

MHaensel

I don't have a retro TRS-80 printer yet, but one is in my future, either a daisy wheel or a dot matrix (Line Printer or DMP). I'd like to connect it to my 2020-era laptop. It would be fun to output from a modern computer to one of these heavy-duty beasts.

A USB->Centronics adapter gets me most of the way there. Do I need a card edge adapter or something for early printers, or were they standard Centronics ports?

Edited by MHaensel
Added "it would be fun"

I believe that they all used Centronic based connectors. Card edge would usually be for the computer. Like the TRS-80 Model I/III/4 for example. Some Dot Matrix Printers and Daisy Wheel printers used both Parallel/Serial connections. Okidata still sells DMP printers today. Although, you will have to look at their website and see how they connect to modern PCs. I have a DMP-130A printer for my CoCo. However, I have never attempted to connect it to my Windows based laptop. If you have a printer in mind, you probably can find the manual to it at https://archive.org

Would the absence of driver software be an issue? If memory serves, there is a "generic" printer driver under Windows, but that may just support basic text printing -- no fonts, bold, underlining, or other features of the printer. 

3 hours ago, jhd said:

Would the absence of driver software be an issue? If memory serves, there is a "generic" printer driver under Windows, but that may just support basic text printing -- no fonts, bold, underlining, or other features of the printer. 

Yes, this could be a major issue.  The OEM's of many of the TRS-80 line of printers were not all the same if memory serves.  You may have to try many different printer drivers to even find some basic compatibility.  Good luck!