IGNORED

A couple of interesting new ebay auctions, one ending soon

bfollowell

I just saw these today and wanted to post in case someone was interested.

The first is an auction for an 800XL with what looks to be a U1M upgrade, a Sophia DVI upgrade and a Side 2 cartridge. It comes with a 1050 drive and another, untested, 800XL. One 800XL and the 1050 are boxed. It has a Buy It Now price of $500 with about $55 shipping, which sounds about right for the amount of stuff included. I'm not sure about you guys, but it sounds like a real deal at $500. I'd be willing to bet it goes for more if the auction plays out.

800XL Lot

The second is for an ATR-8000. It says it's untested and the metal is bent a little on one side, but I know these don't come up very often. As of right now, there's a little less than three hours remaining on this one.

ATR8000

Anyway, I'm not interested in either, but they seemed a little better than the average Atari auctions that we typically see on ebay and I didn't want anyone here to miss out if there might be interest.

Edited by bfollowell

42 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

The first is an auction for an 800XL with what looks to be a U1M upgrade, a Sophia DVI upgrade and a Side 2 cartridge.

This is kind of curious. I wonder who would have access to a well modified XL like this but yet not know what is in it or what it does?  

4 minutes ago, SS said:

This is kind of curious. I wonder who would have access to a well modified XL like this but yet not know what is in it or what it does?  

Someone who stole it; the surviving spouse or child of a dead hobbyist; someone who took it in trade without knowing what it was ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I was thought of my wife and adult kids and thought the same exact thing.

My wife and kids would have no idea what I have, what the current eBay auctions are going for, etc. nor would they even care. It would be just stuff with painful memories to clean up and get rid of I'm sure. Hell, a lot of the recent stuff isn't even stock - my 1088XEL and 1088XLD, which I built myself, plus the newly-built prototype 576NUC+. Hardly anyone would have a clue, even most retro-hobbyists. *shrug*

Yeah, barring anything unforeseen, hopefully I have another 25-30 years, but we never know do we? I really need to start going through some of my more eclectic stuff like this a write up some notes on what things are and what they may be worth and where prices could be checked and where they might find interested buyers. Luckily, I'm just a small-time, nostalgic hobbyist, not a collector or hoarder.

Does anyone know if Bradley at Best has any kids? Can you imagine the job ahead of whoever oversees his estate when his time comes?! It's a shame, the thought of all of that stuff going to the e-recyclers and the landfill, but that's probably where most of it will wind up.

So if I were to break it down...

U1MB        $65
SIDE2       $65
SOPHIA DVI  $100
Poland Ship $ 20+
-----------------
            $250

2 800XLs, 1050, cover, box $250

Since the U1MB and Sophia are already installed in the one known to work 800XL that might be worth $150. The 1050 maybe $50-70, the other 800XL for parts $50. Then there is a cover and a slightly warn box of questionable value.

Overall not a steal, but simply a reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, SS said:

There is what looks to be an Alps keyboard on the 2nd XL and probably a working POKEY chip in it as well.  Those two things alone are worth more than $50.  

Probably, although Pokeys can still be bought from BEST for $20, so I put the complete chip set at $40 if all chips are working. Not sure what the value of the keyboard is, and let's not use current eBay prices which have gotten totally ridiculous because of Covid for some weird reason. Yes the value of the entire unit could be up to $70, but not much more without knowing why its not working.

Nice lots, also thought it must be from an estate. I‘ve started sticking P-Touch labels with a summary of mods to the outside and inside of my (so far 2) recently modded machines. One of my sons would be able to hook up an Atari but they wouldn’t know the value, so I should probably add another sticker with the value of the components, so they can curse me if the highest bid stays below that.... I‘m not sure I want to know the tally, though ?

29 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

At those prices, I really have to start Atari modinng business. 

Well, at the current going rates for 8-bit Ataris, and the cost of the mods, plus your time, you wouldn't be making much money, unless you have a bunch of 8-bits stored away that you got for cheap years ago. This one really only went for maybe about $100 over what you could buy a decent 8-bit for, then purchase all the mods and accessories that it came with, and you really wouldn't be able to expect them all to sell for as much as this one went for.

Something interesting happened. Note that I did not win the auction.

As soon as the auction ended, the seller contact me. I had not win the Auction. He said that the buyer did not want to pay shipping (I do think the shipping is a bit high to be honest). This sounded suspicious to me. I wonder if this is possible but maybe he had another account to bid and increase the price? I'm not sure if eBay monitors this.

I purchased something after I lost, so I told the seller that he can feel free to relisted. He said he will relisted for buy now 500 + shipping. But the winner won for 591 + shipping. So, if he is willing to bring it down to 500, I wonder why he would not find a way to fix this with the buyer. Of course, I do think that is bad that a buyer does not stand by his/her word. However, this seems to me a bit strange. 

I sold some stuff in eBay years ago (maybe like 15 years ago). So, I'm not sure if this is common or not.

28 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Something interesting happened. Note that I did not win the auction.

As soon as the auction ended, the seller contact me. I had not win the Auction. He said that the buyer did not want to pay shipping (I do think the shipping is a bit high to be honest). This sounded suspicious to me. I wonder if this is possible but maybe he had another account to bid and increase the price? I'm not sure if eBay monitors this.

I purchased something after I lost, so I told the seller that he can feel free to relisted. He said he will relisted for buy now 500 + shipping. But the winner won for 591 + shipping. So, if he is willing to bring it down to 500, I wonder why he would not find a way to fix this with the buyer. Of course, I do think that is bad that a buyer does not stand by his/her word. However, this seems to me a bit strange. 

I sold some stuff in eBay years ago (maybe like 15 years ago). So, I'm not sure if this is common or not.

All that stuff isn't worth more than $350 (if that) anyway.

The DVI is just hanging off the back, not even decently installed; and that thing has an ingot, which makes "as is" sound like a potential buyer's risk.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrFish said:

All that stuff isn't worth more than $350 (if that) anyway.

The DVI is just hanging off the back, not even decently installed; and that thing has an ingot, which makes "as is" sound like a potential buyer's risk.

I agree — maybe 500 tops but even at that is a lot. I’m waiting for my 1088XEL, and I hope to get the xld and then 576+ 

I still look at hardware and is tempting but I agree