IGNORED

A couple of interesting new ebay auctions, one ending soon

bfollowell

$26 is not extravagant shipping for two XLs and a 1050 drive.  The winning bidder has a zero feedback score though.  He either had immediate buyer's remorse at a $600+ payout, or the seller was wary of completing a transaction with a zero feedback buyer, or else it was a shill account designed to push the ending price up and it accidentally ended up winning.  Either way, I felt that the BIN for the auction was overpriced so the $591 ending was simply ridiculous.  Maybe I should pick up another U1MB to put into one of my spare XLs for a couple hundred dollar cash-grab if these things are going to go for so much.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

I agree — maybe 500 tops but even at that is a lot. I’m waiting for my 1088XEL, and I hope to get the xld and then 576+ 

I still look at hardware and is tempting but I agree 

I guess it's all just special pandemic pricing on places like Ebay.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I guess it's all just special pandemic pricing on places like Ebay.

I don’t know much about electronics but how long can the atari 8-bit equipment last ? 

This is why I think is great what @mytekis doing. I can’t wait to receive my ready to go 1088xel 

3 hours ago, Blues76 said:

Something interesting happened. Note that I did not win the auction.

As soon as the auction ended, the seller contact me. I had not win the Auction. He said that the buyer did not want to pay shipping (I do think the shipping is a bit high to be honest). This sounded suspicious to me. I wonder if this is possible but maybe he had another account to bid and increase the price? I'm not sure if eBay monitors this.

I purchased something after I lost, so I told the seller that he can feel free to relisted. He said he will relisted for buy now 500 + shipping. But the winner won for 591 + shipping. So, if he is willing to bring it down to 500, I wonder why he would not find a way to fix this with the buyer. Of course, I do think that is bad that a buyer does not stand by his/her word. However, this seems to me a bit strange. 

I sold some stuff in eBay years ago (maybe like 15 years ago). So, I'm not sure if this is common or not.

It definitely sounds fishy.

3 hours ago, Blues76 said:

I don’t know much about electronics but how long can the atari 8-bit equipment last ? 

This is why I think is great what @mytekis doing. I can’t wait to receive my ready to go 1088xel 

Well, keep in mind, the 1088XEL and XLD use original Atari chips.  The fiberglass in the original PCB will not go bad, so that really leaves resistors and tantalum caps which also don't fail, and a few electrolytics (which regardless of internet lore, also do not need regular replacing. I have NEVER replaced a cap in a single electronic device I own, computer or amplifier, some of which are from 1969 and still going strong).  I'm pretty sure the Atari computers I have will outlive me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well, keep in mind, the 1088XEL and XLD use original Atari chips.  The fiberglass in the original PCB will not go bad, so that really leaves resistors and tantalum caps which also don't fail, and a few electrolytics (which regardless of internet lore, also do not need regular replacing. I have NEVER replaced a cap in a single electronic device I own, computer or amplifier, some of which are from 1969 and still going strong).  I'm pretty sure the Atari computers I have will outlive me.

That's good to hear. And yes, 1088XEL do uses original Atari Chips. I'm not sure about 576+ (but maybe it does too, I think).

Of course, then we have FPGA, which I'm planning to get sometime next year. And the emulators.

9 hours ago, Blues76 said:

Something interesting happened. Note that I did not win the auction.

As soon as the auction ended, the seller contact me. I had not win the Auction. He said that the buyer did not want to pay shipping (I do think the shipping is a bit high to be honest). This sounded suspicious to me. I wonder if this is possible but maybe he had another account to bid and increase the price? I'm not sure if eBay monitors this.

I purchased something after I lost, so I told the seller that he can feel free to relisted. He said he will relisted for buy now 500 + shipping. But the winner won for 591 + shipping. So, if he is willing to bring it down to 500, I wonder why he would not find a way to fix this with the buyer. Of course, I do think that is bad that a buyer does not stand by his/her word. However, this seems to me a bit strange. 

I sold some stuff in eBay years ago (maybe like 15 years ago). So, I'm not sure if this is common or not.

I'm not saying this is a scam but it does resemble classic scammer strategy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allan said:

I'm not saying this is a scam but it does resemble classic scammer strategy.

agreed, sounds like they may have tried to push the price up with a schill bid or two, got greedy and ended up being the winning bidder