IGNORED

What is "THE" reason to have a Jaguar CD?

sdamike

I'll definitely give some of these games a shot. I've had it for probably 5+ years, just never really seen much reason to play it. I actually have World Tour Racing, Iron Soldier 2, Blue Lightning, but have never played them. (I have shit for time lol)
But I appreciate all the input! I wanted to genuinely ask because when I look at my stuff and think what could go, my first thought is the Jag CD. 

• Like 1

The only real reason to have a Jag CD is because you want one!  The games for it are good at best and terrible at worst.  I can't stand Highlander or Blue Lightning but there are some very good games in Battlemorph, IS2, Primal Rage and Hover Strike Unconquered Lands.  The FMV games are not enough to warrant a Jag CD. 

• Like 1

As a Jaguar fan, the Jag CD had a bunch of sequels to Jaguar games that I enjoyed, such as Battlemorph, Iron Soldier 2 and Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands.  In the case of Battlemorph and HS:UL, they were definite upgrades over the cart releases.  If I remember correctly, I think the Jag CD version of Iron Soldier 2 came out several years before the cart version.  Battlemorph is also one of my favorite games on the Jag.  I was one of those who enjoyed Blue Lighting and Highlander.  I was looking forward to the complete Highlander trilogy, but knowing the dire straits Atari and the Jaguar at the time, I knew it probably wasn't going to happen.

Back in 1995, the Jag CD with Blue Lightning, Vid Grid, Myst demo and the VLM was a pretty good deal at $150.  I think I only paid full price for Battlemorph and Highlander and then shortly after that, everything for the Jaguar started to be discounted.  It was easy to get a complete Jag CD collection for dirt cheap back in 1996.  I paid $10 for a new copy of Primal Rage at Electronics Boutique.

Is the Jaguar CD worth it for what they are charging today? No, but we could say that for almost all of retro gaming.  Most retro games aren't worth what they are charging today.  The best deals are the brand new games coming out for retro systems or picking off a few hidden gems here and there. 

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

6 hours ago, JagChris said:

Nearly identical. The mapping function wasn't completed so the map is always fully revealed unlike the 3D0 version.

That's crazy that it was that far done just never officially released. That fully revealed map could come in handy too.

Also just found a review where it seems like the Jaguar version might be just a little better than the 3do:
"the Jag CD version looks far more impressive than its 32-bit cousin. While the 3DO uses fog to hide the draw distance, this version doesn’t, and it all looks a lot cleaner."

I never knew this version existed let alone it might be a tad better. I guess there is another reason to keep the CD around ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 2:16 AM, RREDDWARFF said:

Baldies. You need a Jag CD to play Baldies.

I’d 100% agree with you if that game didn’t lock up every 10 minutes, it makes it pretty much unplayable if you ask me. The PS1 port was pretty decent imo. 

Blue Lightning isn't that bad on JagCD.  It isn't a system seller, and it's not nearly as impressive on the hardware as the Lynx version.  But I spent a lot of time with it in 1995 and still toss it in once in awhile these days.  It's fun, and it does a decent enough job as a super-scaler Top Gun simulator from 1995.

Iron Soldier II and Battlemorph are the best reasons to have a Jaguar CD, but even those are far from system sellers. 

Baldies is probably my favorite game on the platform.  I must have a magic CD unit, because mine only locked up once or twice in the dozens of hours I put into Baldies.  I played all the way up to the Hell levels (80% through the game), and really found it to be a fun title.  I mean, you can invent a minefield and plant it outside your enemies' stronghold, then craft a skunk into a stinkbomb and drop it on the building.  Half the bad guys run out the door, right into your minefield. How is that not awesome?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:52 PM, jerseystyle said:

Battlemorph and Hoverstrike CD are sweet. 

Yeh they are.   I think VLM and Battlemorph are my top reasons, but also another I'll mention shortly.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:25 AM, WilcoL said:

I know I’m in the minority but I really like blue lightning to the point that I thinks it’s worth owning the console for, I truly don’t understand why people say it’s a bad game.

Fun game.   Loved flying along and blowing up stuff to a rock soundtrack.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, leech said:

Was I the only one eho beat Highlander and was disappointed we never got a sequel?

On 11/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, WilcoL said:

The only one to beat it: no

The only one who wanted the sequel: yes

Played all through Highlander on cheat mode with a rubber chicken.   Fun game.

----

The other reason to get a Jag CD is it makes a good way to load homebrew games and some ST ports. 

4 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Yeah, but you say the same about Bubsy ?

Actually Bubsy is, just gotta get good.  :)

Highlander I liked for the overall story and atmosphere.   But as I said that included the cheat codes with the hidden area about the programmers and the rubber chicken.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, sdamike said:

That's crazy that it was that far done just never officially released. That fully revealed map could come in handy too.

Also just found a review where it seems like the Jaguar version might be just a little better than the 3do:
"the Jag CD version looks far more impressive than its 32-bit cousin. While the 3DO uses fog to hide the draw distance, this version doesn’t, and it all looks a lot cleaner."

I never knew this version existed let alone it might be a tad better. I guess there is another reason to keep the CD around ;) 

I found the review you mentioned if anyone else is interested

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2016/10/13/robinsons-requiem/

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

I found the review you mentioned if anyone else is interested

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2016/10/13/robinsons-requiem/

I should do a comparison capture between the versions some time, as I have it for the Falcon as well, then the Amiga AGA version, the ST and Amiga versions as well.  If I recall the PC version looked much like the AGA one, the Falcon and Jag looking the best out of any of them.  But that may be through some bias...

It is a shame the sequel only came out for DOS / Windows.  When people today talk about survival games... they have never played this series, where it is far easier to get a cut on your leg, walk into a swamp, get infected and lose your leg than any other games I have ever seen... I haven't played far in Robinson's Requiem, but Deus is BRUTAL.