IGNORED

What is "THE" reason to have a Jaguar CD?

sdamike

32 minutes ago, evisu said:

I bought a CD just as dust cover for the Jag cart slot. But the CD unit have its own cart slot, so that I need another CD unit to protect the cart slot from CD unit 1 ....

I wonder if you could just stack around 20 jag cds on top of each other like those giant towers people have made with sonic & knuckles carts 

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2020 at 7:43 AM, WilcoL said:

I wonder if you could just stack around 20 jag cds on top of each other like those giant towers people have made with sonic & knuckles carts 

Physically, maybe. Just a matter of whether the cart connector thing is long enough to clear the chassis of the unit below it.  Practically speaking, due to the memory mapping setup, you wouldn't be able to use the CD part of anything past the bottom one, which would be wedged under the stack and physically inaccessible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Physically, maybe. Just a matter of whether the cart connector thing is long enough to clear the chassis of the unit below it.  Practically speaking, due to the memory mapping setup, you wouldn't be able to use the CD part of anything past the bottom one, which would be wedged under the stack and physically inaccessible.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but would the cartridge slot still work then? I mean as far as I know the jag cd doesn’t really add anything to cart games and just lets them pass thru right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WilcoL said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but would the cartridge slot still work then? I mean as far as I know the jag cd doesn’t really add anything to cart games and just lets them pass thru right? 

It does with multiple sonic and knuckles carts on a genesis. The bottle neck there is that too many carts requires more power than the Genesis cart slot can provide, which doesn't seem to be an issue for the self powered jag cd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilcoL said:

AFAIK, it should work. Still not compelling enough to me to go get another CD unit from the other room and try it though.

I would give it a shot, but I am concerned that if I plug them all in it would create some sort of feedback to one of the boards and fry something.  With prices being what they are today I just don't want to take the chance.  I could surely do a static shot and not plug them in.  Maybe tonight.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I would give it a shot, but I am concerned that if I plug them all in it would create some sort of feedback to one of the boards and fry something.  With prices being what they are today I just don't want to take the chance.  I could surely do a static shot and not plug them in.  Maybe tonight.

I would like to see that even if nothing is plugged in. 

JagCD units WILL fit into one another, I've had 3 or more plugged in like that on a shelf.  Never tried it on a system as I didn't want to put excessive strain on the connector, and I didn't power up because I CBA finding enough PSUs to try :D

I'd imagine it will work to a point, and then the bus will be extended sufficiently far enough with enough connectors that it will probably just become a huge noise generator / antenna and the Jag will just crash.

• Like 2

As others have said, unless you're after a complete collection, it's hard to justify the CD at current prices. That said, I do like Battlemorph, Hoverstrike, WTR, IS2 and Primal Rage quite a lot and would place those games in the top quarter of Jaguar titles. I also get a kick out of Blue Lightning and it's rockin' soundtrack. 

Back in September I made a Jag CD montage to try out my video capture and commemorate the 25th anniversary of it's release. It was fun to dust off those games. 

• Like 1

Well, here you go, 128 bits of jungle cat!

20201201_211420.thumb.jpg.6cd4364096e1ed96324b6574d95cee4c.jpg

They fit without any problem.  Sorry, I don't have a Sonic and Knuckles cart or I would show my tower of power for comparison.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a double decker toilet!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Well, here you go, 128 bits of jungle cat!

20201201_211420.thumb.jpg.6cd4364096e1ed96324b6574d95cee4c.jpg

They fit without any problem.  Sorry, I don't have a Sonic and Knuckles cart or I would show my tower of power for comparison.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a double decker toilet!

Reminds me of

SmartSelect_20201201-195058_Fennec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On the note of the Tower of Power.  For my first Sega CD, the research pointed out that the newer models that connected to the sdie were better as they were easier to replace lasers and didn't fail as much.  But they just don't look as cool!  So I may still end up tracking down the other one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leech said:

On the note of the Tower of Power.  For my first Sega CD, the research pointed out that the newer models that connected to the sdie were better as they were easier to replace lasers and didn't fail as much.  But they just don't look as cool!  So I may still end up tracking down the other one.

That's what I have.  I need to get it working though as nothing turns on when I power it up.  Trying to get an INTV working first though.  Wish me luck!

7 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Well don't leave us hanging. Did you try powering it on? Did it boot?

I don't want to do that.  At current prices I can't afford to replace one if something goes wrong.  It may not do anything, but then again it might.  I'd rather leave well enough alone.

That looks awesome, thanks for taking the picture.  I didn't think about it before, but I guess because the Jag CD's cart slot is set further back than where the cartridge connection is on the underside, each time you layer a jag cd, the next jag cd is going to be an inch or two backwards. In other words, if you kept going, the tower would become unbalanced and probably tip back on itself after 4+ jag cds were stacked.

57 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

In other words, if you kept going, the tower would become unbalanced and probably tip back on itself after 4+ jag cds were stacked.

If you want to give me a few more for keeps I'll give it a shot?

• Haha 1