IGNORED

Do we need yet ANOTHER emulator for the TI-99/4A?

Omega-TI

Nearly a decade ago, I got my hands on a version of Classic 99, and that was it, I was sucked back into the TI-world, eventually to go overboard.  Now, there are many emulators out there and quite frankly I'll probably stick with Classic 99 for my emulator needs until the day I die.  However earlier this year I've toyed with various TRS-80 emulators like trs80gp which like Classic 99 is very good for the PC under Windows.  I also got my hands on a copy an emulator for the RPi 3 that is amazing in that it follows the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).  You turn on the RPi and within 10 seconds you are at the DOS prompt just like a regular TRS-80 booting from diskette.  Anyway this got me thinking, if there was a TI emulator like that for the RPi that could function like a TIPI to call the BBS, send files to and do everything else from an SD card image ready to burn and use it could hook a fair number of people.

TRPiS-80.thumb.PNG.001bd33378d362fe3278881a429cef46.PNG

A spare RPi 3 functioning as a dedicated TRS-80 machine.

As always, it depends. Not on the topic of rpi, but I’m a big fan of classic99 and its debugger.

Nonetheless, my Stevie editor development is done with js99er.

Why? Because js99er is the only emulator that faithfully emulates the F18A VDP and some of its features I’m using. 

Also using Mame from time to time, because for its accurate emulation and emulated device support.

I also consider Mame to have the best debugging capabilities.

• Like 1