IGNORED

Advice on selling a 1040 STe motherboard

Finn Mac

I did what you are looking to do with a dead Atari STF computer.  I'm not completely finished yet.  I mounted a tiny Celeron computer in the case.  There are instructions on how to use an Arduino Leonardo board to convert the Keyboard to USB.  I agree with the others.  Don't kill a good working STe to create this.  You can probably find a non-working ST instead.  I'll take some photos of my work in progress and post it here.  I just retired (literally today was my last day).  This is a project to keep me busy now.

Here is the Amazon link to the mini-pc.  It is only $120.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYCZJVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll also look for the links to the site with the Arduino coding that I used.  By the way I tell people that I can't program my way out of a paper bag, but I can build things.  

1 hour ago, djglish said:

I did what you are looking to do with a dead Atari STF computer.  I'm not completely finished yet.  I mounted a tiny Celeron computer in the case.  There are instructions on how to use an Arduino Leonardo board to convert the Keyboard to USB.  I agree with the others.  Don't kill a good working STe to create this.  You can probably find a non-working ST instead.  I'll take some photos of my work in progress and post it here.  I just retired (literally today was my last day).  This is a project to keep me busy now.

Here is the Amazon link to the mini-pc.  It is only $120.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYCZJVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll also look for the links to the site with the Arduino coding that I used.  By the way I tell people that I can't program my way out of a paper bag, but I can build things.  

Haha thanks man. I've looked around for a broken ste but unable to find one. I'll post an add in wanted

Edit: I think I found what you're talking about re the code you used, i wouldn't have thought about that thank you: https://github.com/devonshire/arduino-atari-hid-keyboard/blob/master/USB_HID_Keyboard.ino 

Edited by Finn Mac

23 hours ago, bluejay said:

If that's a working machine I'd highly advise you to keep it as it is, and use a broken Mac SE or something for a sleeper build. Those are relatively cheap and common compared to the 1040ste and can fit lots of stuff inside.

But not an SE/30.  They're still out there, but not getting easier to find.  I regret getting rid of my last remaining one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

But not an SE/30.  They're still out there, but not getting easier to find.  I regret getting rid of my last remaining one.

Oh, NOT an SE/30 for sure. He'd be throwing money away. With an old Mac case, he'd have plenty of room and space for a mini-pc MB and LCD monitor. What will cost is the keyboard. Those things are getting hard to come by as I understand it. Still, I think there is a lot of hope with this project and more frustration.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Finn Mac said:

I feel the pain and empathize with you, man i do but i will have the electronics stored somewhere safe or i will sell them so they don't get trashed. Also am not really willing to spend 250 - 300 au on a satan drive. But be assured i shall take good care of the electronics. If i could get the satan drive for a lower price point I'd happily do it 

Hmmm - UltraSatan (much faster than Satandisk) price is about 100 $ + shipping, what depends from buyers location. Think about how many SW, games fit on 1 SD card (price about 10 bucks) ... + much more reliable than floppy disks.

Yes, location ? I would be interested for STE motherboard - if it is working. I'm in Europe, so shipping can cost little more if it's oversea, but I don't need floppy drive and metal shields, so can save on some weight. PM me if interested.

• Like 1

I found the site that has the code for the keyboard conversion.  He built a Raspberry Pi hybrid into an Atari ST.  

kevinpeat.com/atari_pi_reworked.html

It shows the whole project and there is a link to the coding.  It might be the same one that you found.

I mounted my PC using some screw type rivets.  That makes it easy to remove the PC from the case.

Here are some pictures of my project, so far.

P1040830x - Copy.jpg

P1040828x - Copy.jpg

16 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Oh, NOT an SE/30 for sure. He'd be throwing money away. With an old Mac case, he'd have plenty of room and space for a mini-pc MB and LCD monitor. What will cost is the keyboard. Those things are getting hard to come by as I understand it. Still, I think there is a lot of hope with this project and more frustration.

Not using an lcd that's for sure ? crt for this guy

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Sorry if you stated this before, but are you going to use the original STe keyboard?

If so, grab the "TT-Touch" keyboard upgrade - it will definitely improve it's feel.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm

About 2/3's of the way down the page...

Yes i am. And thank you very much dude!

7 hours ago, djglish said:

I found the site that has the code for the keyboard conversion.  He built a Raspberry Pi hybrid into an Atari ST.  

It shows the whole project and there is a link to the coding.  It might be the same one that you found.

I mounted my PC using some screw type rivets.  That makes it easy to remove the PC from the case.

P1040830x - Copy.jpg

P1040828x - Copy.jpg

Oh dude i LOVE that look. Thank you again!

I just saw this on FB group Vintage Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts. It's 3D printed. He's in the process of getting it prepped, hence the finish but that is really looking nice. He's going to put a mini ITX in it but I think he could put a much larger MB to save a few bucks and give him more power.No photo description available. power.

8 hours ago, djglish said:

P1040830x - Copy.jpg

P1040828x - Copy.jpg

Hey which Arduino board did you get?

2 hours ago, Finn Mac said:

Not using an lcd that's for sure ? crt for this guy

Yes i am. And thank you very much dude!

Wha? You're going to use a CRT for a modern PC? I think it would be challenge then to find a 9" CRT that will fit into a Mac case and achieve a resolution high enough to produce a worthy display. My current card's lowest setting is 800x600 and TBH, I wouldn't want to use any modern OS at that resolution.

17 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Wha? You're going to use a CRT for a modern PC? I think it would be challenge then to find a 9" CRT that will fit into a Mac case and achieve a resolution high enough to produce a worthy display. My current card's lowest setting is 800x600 and TBH, I wouldn't want to use any modern OS at that resolution.

The thing is i really want the aesthetic because that is the main part for me. I have had a few offers for the motherboard but i appreciate the assistance in lookin into the Mac SE. Im using an external monitor with a vga to hdmi convert. Im putting the raspberry pi in the Atari shell

Edited by Finn Mac

19 minutes ago, Finn Mac said:

The thing is i really want the aesthetic because that is the main part for me. I have had a few offers for the motherboard but i appreciate the assistance in lookin into the Mac SE. Im using an external monitor with a vga to hdmi convert. Im putting the raspberry pi in the Atari shell

Well, I don't think anyone would notice that you're using a LCD instead of a CRT and an LCD would be much more useable and easier to hook up to a modern PC. I'm sure a 9" 4:3 LCD that gets at least 1280x1024 is doable. A monitor that does 1600x1200 might be doable but it'll be a challenge to find. If you want bigger, I don't the old Mac is the way to go.  

Edited by Justin Payne

2 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Check this out. Stuart Brand, in the Retropie Makers FB page, put a lense on top of a LCD making it appear to look like a CRT. This thing is amazing. That might be a solution to added a LCD to old Mac case and still making it look like a CRT.
127982659_3999710856724897_3385273288876451107_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=aw2EV1WDB2MAX8cWVe4&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&tp=6&oh=e09b962c1450353af5ec2e351b16dd0c&oe=5FE5B968128002839_3999710843391565_8139639788577846165_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=KYDhKFxkbGwAX-8eE_l&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&tp=6&oh=4948041aec8912d5607c8ccd8fbb0b69&oe=5FE6AAAA

Thats sick! I appreciate the assistance, but again im not using the mac SE

I am doing what you all advised against (to my detriment who knows? Lol)

Edited by Finn Mac

53 minutes ago, Finn Mac said:

I think the point everyone had was that STs are everywhere and if you are going to butcher a machine do it to one of those.  Taking apart a working STe to put something else in is like taking a crap on the Mona Lisa (well maybe not that extreme, but still...)

I mean in my mind juat getting a MiSTer and then adapting original (external) keyboards is a better method.  But then you aren't even going to be running original software and using an ST keyboard in Windows seems unlikely to be very usable (as a lot of keys are missing)

59 minutes ago, Finn Mac said:

Oh, I know, but this technique could be used to make a modern LCD into what appears to be a CRT. Might give others ideas for future projects.