IGNORED

Advice on selling a 1040 STe motherboard

Finn Mac

Yeah, it'd be much better if you sell the STe as a whole, and use the funds to buy a regular ST and a RPi. An ST looks exactly the same as an STe and worth far less both economically and historically.

STe's are very difficult to come by especially in working condition. We'd hate to see a nice, working STe gutted and separated for a project, especially when there are much better alternatives. We can't do anything to stop you if you for whatever reason wish to do it against everyone but I hope you do realize this is a bad idea.

Edited by bluejay

Just now, bluejay said:

Yeah, it'd be much better if you sell the STe as a whole, and use the funds to buy a regular ST and a RPi. An ST looks exactly the same as an STe and worth far less both economically and historically.

I will literally give my 1040STfm that has issues if he'll not sacrifice the STe... well maybe he can pay me for shipping, but otherwise there are plenty of 'parts' systems laying around for STs.

Just now, bluejay said:

@leech perhaps you could offer a trade? It might be difficult as he's located in Austrailia but perhaps $100 in shipping plus an STfm is worth sacrificing for an STe.

Ouch, yeah shipping to Australia from the US would probably be more than that.  But I'm sure someone else around that is closer has an old ST to trade for that.  Like seriously, it would be a shame to ruin an STe.  Can you imagine someone trying to do something similar to a Falcon?  Like they'd be lynched.  And for good reason.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, leech said:

I will literally give my 1040STfm that has issues if he'll not sacrifice the STe... well maybe he can pay me for shipping, but otherwise there are plenty of 'parts' systems laying around for STs.

Too late im sorry. Already made up my mind man

Edited by Finn Mac

Just now, bluejay said:

?‍♂️

Ha, anytime in the past I've heard 'sleeper PC' is they take an old beige box tower that normally houses a 386/486 era motherboard, and put in a modern set up.  Or at the very least get something that there are millions out there, like Dead C64s, I've seen systems built out of that.  But to take a perfectly working system and do it seems.. anyhow you summed it up with your response.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, anytime in the past I've heard 'sleeper PC' is they take an old beige box tower that normally houses a 386/486 era motherboard, and put in a modern set up.  Or at the very least get something that there are millions out there, like Dead C64s, I've seen systems built out of that.  But to take a perfectly working system and do it seems.. anyhow you summed it up with your response.

Especially with an STe.

I like sleeper builds when they're done using the right components; i.e. a Core i9 setup inside a Compaq Prolinea case. But sacrificing a fully working STe for a sleeper build is a no go for me in any way.

But I'd gladly take a broken STfm for the price of shipping though ?

Edited by bluejay

1 minute ago, bluejay said:

Especially with an STe.

I like sleeper builds when they're done using the right components; i.e. a Core i9 setup inside a Compaq Prolinea case. But sacrificing a fully working STe for a sleeper build is a no go for me in any way.

Even with my old STfm, I'd rather spend the time to fix it rather than make it a sleeper. 

In my mind, the old computers are there for those who actually want to use the correct keyboard, or input devices, without latency.  You can mostly do that with something like the MiSTer, but it still isn't quite 100% the same as using original hardware.  What fun is it to stick Windows into an STe and use it's keyboard, which will be missing the windows key, not to mention F11/F12, and others....

Hell, I built up a converter for the Amiga 4000 keyboard to work on my Vampire Stand Alone because using a modern USB keyboard is odd on it!

• Like 1

The Arduino is a Leonardo.  I bought the actual Arduino brand, but there are cheaper knock-offs.  

I wish the guy that did the coding would have also added the code for the joystick and mouse.  They all come off of the keyboard cable.  I'm sure it would be a lot of added work though.  Could never figure out how all of those key choices can be done with only a very limited amount of wires going from the keyboard to the motherboard.  

22 minutes ago, djglish said:

The Arduino is a Leonardo.  I bought the actual Arduino brand, but there are cheaper knock-offs.  

I wish the guy that did the coding would have also added the code for the joystick and mouse.  They all come off of the keyboard cable.  I'm sure it would be a lot of added work though.  Could never figure out how all of those key choices can be done with only a very limited amount of wires going from the keyboard to the motherboard.  

The one I did for the A4k used the same board type, I ended up getting a batch of 4, then a different manufacturer for the 5th.  That one didn't work at all, as it seems the solder points on the pcb for it were cheap and melted off when I tried to bridge the power selector pins.

2 hours ago, leech said:

Dude if your still up for it.

Edited by Finn Mac