IGNORED

Advice on selling a 1040 STe motherboard

Finn Mac

Hi AtariAge forums,

First time seller here. An Atari 1040 STE.

I'm selling the whole motherboard but not the keyboard and power supply swich, as I'm planning to do a sleeper pc build and they are part of the aesthetic.

I would like advice on what i should price everything. And also how to do a sleeper pc build, but that is for another topic.

I have attached images of aforementioned motherboard.

20201125_143338.jpg

20201125_143238.jpg

20201125_143204.jpg

20201125_143157.jpg

20201125_143153.jpg

How come you're sacrificing a 1040ste for a sleeper build? I don't think it's worth it, especially considering the fact that you don't know how to do it. There's no guarantee if anything you want to put inside the case will fit in the first place. You'll most likely have to hack and slash around with the case, perhaps destroying it in the process, and drill a few holes through it to mount the stuff you want. If that's a working machine I'd highly advise you to keep it as it is, and use a broken Mac SE or something for a sleeper build. Those are relatively cheap and common compared to the 1040ste and can fit lots of stuff inside.

• Like 1

So, you're gutting the STe to make a PC? ? Before you go destroying a piece of history, I'd just make sure it's possible that you are able to use that keyboard with your new PC MB and are willing to not have all of the keys that maybe available on todays keyboards. That being said, if you're still wanting to sell it I would have first shown that everything works. As is, you've "possibly" got a working STe MB. I'm going to take a gut best guess and say $50 to $60 ?. Now, ebay's going to ask for a bit more (probably $80ish) but there is some guarentee with that so...a little less.

Edited by Justin Payne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

So, you're gutting the STe to make a PC? ? Before you go destroying a piece of history, I'd just make sure it's possible that you are able to use that keyboard with your new PC MB and are willing to not have all of the keys that maybe available on todays keyboards. That being said, if you're still wanting to sell it I would have first shown that everything works. As is, you've "possibly" got a working STe MB. I'm going to take a gut best guess and say $60 to $70. Now, ebay's going to ask for a bit more (probably $80ish) but there is some guarentee with that so...a little less.

I should've probably mentioned i don't have any floppies. Yeah i have. It's working. I took it apart methodically. I can put it back together methodically lol

• Like 1

Just now, Finn Mac said:

I should've probably mentioned i don't have any floppies. Yeah i have. It's working. I took it apart methodically. I can put it back together methodically lol

6 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

So, you're gutting the STe to make a PC? ? Before you go destroying a piece of history, I'd just make sure it's possible that you are able to use that keyboard with your new PC MB and are willing to not have all of the keys that maybe available on todays keyboards. That being said, if you're still wanting to sell it I would have first shown that everything works. As is, you've "possibly" got a working STe MB. I'm going to take a gut best guess and say $60 to $70. Now, ebay's going to ask for a bit more (probably $80ish) but there is some guarentee with that so...a little less.

Proof of working

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finn Mac said:

Well, it will boot w/o a floppy since it has an OS on a chip BUT if you're considering keeping it, there is the Gotek drive that allows you to load floppy images off of a thumbdrive. Floppies are not only getting scarce, but they tend to degrade, like most media, over time. Now, the Gotek drive is a bit bigger than the floppy drive you took out but I'm sure someone has made a 3D printed mount for one. We in the retro community don't like destroying our hardware if we can help it so there are a lot of people that will be willing to help you keep it as intact as possible.

Edited by Justin Payne

10 minutes ago, bluejay said:

How come you're sacrificing a 1040ste for a sleeper build? I don't think it's worth it, especially considering the fact that you don't know how to do it. There's no guarantee if anything you want to put inside the case will fit in the first place. You'll most likely have to hack and slash around with the case, perhaps destroying it in the process, and drill a few holes through it to mount the stuff you want. If that's a working machine I'd highly advise you to keep it as it is, and use a broken Mac SE or something for a sleeper build. Those are relatively cheap and common compared to the 1040ste and can fit lots of stuff inside.

Because of the look mainly. I would like to be able to have an old atari pc that can surf the net basically and has windows. And i don't really have floppies which i suppose was another reason in my thinking. Mac se! I will look into that. Thank you

3 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Well, it will boot w/o a floppy since it has an OS on a chip BUT if you're considering keeping it, there is the Gotek drive that allows you to load floppy images off of a thumbdrive. Floppies are not only getting scares, but they tend to degrade, like most media, over time. Now, the Gotek drive is a bit bigger than the floppy drive you took out but I'm sure someone has made a 3D printed mount for one. We in the retro community don't like destroying our hardware if we can help it so there are a lot of people that will be willing to help you keep it as intact as possible.

Ik about the tos. I'm not a complete outsider lol. But if the general advice is to not do it then hm.

5 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Well, it will boot w/o a floppy since it has an OS on a chip BUT if you're considering keeping it, there is the Gotek drive that allows you to load floppy images off of a thumbdrive. Floppies are not only getting scares, but they tend to degrade, like most media, over time. Now, the Gotek drive is a bit bigger than the floppy drive you took out but I'm sure someone has made a 3D printed mount for one. We in the retro community don't like destroying our hardware if we can help it so there are a lot of people that will be willing to help you keep it as intact as possible.

Thank you for your help sir

Just now, Finn Mac said:

Ik about the tos. I'm not a complete outsider lol. But if the general advice is to not do it then hm.

Sorry. This was your first post so most people that jump on to sell something like this usually get it from someone who died. You, on the other hand, have one and want to make it into a PC which, if I hadn't heard your voice in the video, I'd suspect you were a kid who got their hands on this and just looked at it like some old junk. So, why not turn it into a small form factor PC or RPi that would look waaaaaay cool...until the charm of it wore off and you just dumped it at the electronic recyclers. ?

16 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

until the charm of it wore off and you just dumped it at the electronic recyclers. ?

My heart breaks at the idea jesus do people actually do that these aren't everyday items. Charm on these doesn't wear off ? LOL my dad ain't dead yet bless him! He had this in his garage and used to mix midi stuff until 2006. Then we went hunting in his garage only to find all the floppies eroded but completely working. I'm a collector of sorts (at the young age of 19 thats crazy) so i know how it feels

25 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Sorry. This was your first post so most people that jump on to sell something like this usually get it from someone who died. You, on the other hand, have one and want to make it into a PC which, if I hadn't heard your voice in the video, I'd suspect you were a kid who got their hands on this and just looked at it like some old junk. So, why not turn it into a small form factor PC or RPi that would look waaaaaay cool...until the charm of it wore off and you just dumped it at the electronic recyclers. ?

And it's cool dude, no offense taken. I didn't give all the facts after all

40 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Ok so ive got an idea if i could find one for parts 

1 hour ago, Justin Payne said:

Form factor and RPi wont do it cuz apparently i want to make things hard for myself lol. Gotta have the real deal 

I think $50 to $60 sounds right on pricing the main board. If you could be convinced though, I would suggest keeping the STe whole, and print yourself one of these for a Raspberry Pi.

Then you can enjoy both. :3 The true real deal is experiencing the STe in its native form. If you want to experience the 'Net (in some form) you can get the new WiFi232 adapter, and join everyone using the 'Net on BBS, and such on the ST.

I wanna say there is one like the Atari 8-bit FujiNet, but maybe I am thinking incorrectly. 

Front_Left_59230da7-9703-48d9-91c8-f4aee213f791_1024x1024.jpg?v=1562701282

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

I think $50 to $60 sounds right on pricing the main board. If you could be convinced though, I would suggest keeping the STe whole, and print yourself one of these for a Raspberry Pi.

Then you can enjoy both. :3 The true real deal is experiencing the STe in its native form. If you want to experience the 'Net (in some form) you can get the new WiFi232 adapter, and join everyone using the 'Net on BBS, and such on the ST.

I wanna say there is one like the Atari 8-bit FujiNet, but maybe I am thinking incorrectly.

I'm sorry i can't be convinced lol...I do applaud your efforts. I do want to know how to interface the existing keyboard with a modern solution. And yes i know, i know, the preservation, which I understand. BBS is a message board isn't it? I want the full web lol. Apologies for my stubbornness on the whole thing lol

55 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

And thank you kind sir for the insites

If you are going to transplant a modern computer into that STe a Raspberry Pi is the way to go. I believe a Pi 4 is capable of running Windows 10. There exists a device called a Keyrah that'll allow you to use an old proprietary keyboard with a modern computer (such as the RPi mentioned earlier) but I don't think an ST version exists. In which case you will have to find a modern keyboard that at least partially fits both physically and aesthetically.

By the way, hope you are good with drills and dremels. You may need to punch some holes through the case for access to the motherboard's ports. Also you won't be able to use a CD/DVD drive unless you cut a huge chunk of the case off, and that's just stupid.

All in all, a sleeper PC build using a 1040STe is ridiculous at best, unless you're some kind of DIY project god. The aforementioned Mac will be much easier to deal with and looks nice as well. You'll easily be able to fit a smaller, proper PC with a power supply and maybe a internal CD/DVD drive, and even an LCD or CRT. You'll still need to cut bits off the case with a dremels but it'll be much less dramatic than the ST.

I read what I just wrote over and it seems to have a somewhat offensive tone... No offense was meant, I just wanted to make it clear that that ST will be best as is.

P.S. by the way in case you didn't realize yet you can put a RPi into the actual ST not a tiny 3D print case.

P.P.S. This place isn't an instant message board like discord so it's best to type in one message at a time. If you forgot to add something on a previous post you can always edit it within an hour.

Edited by bluejay

32 minutes ago, bluejay said:

If you are going to transplant a modern computer into that STe a Raspberry Pi is the way to go. I believe a Pi 4 is capable of running Windows 10. There exists a device called a Keyrah that'll allow you to use an old proprietary keyboard with a modern computer (such as the RPi mentioned earlier) but I don't think an ST version exists. In which case you will have to find a modern keyboard that at least partially fits both physically and aesthetically.

By the way, hope you are good with drills and dremels. You may need to punch some holes through the case for access to the motherboard's ports. Also you won't be able to use a CD/DVD drive unless you cut a huge chunk of the case off, and that's just stupid.

All in all, a sleeper PC build using a 1040STe is ridiculous at best, unless you're some kind of DIY project god. The aforementioned Mac will be much easier to deal with and looks nice as well. You'll easily be able to fit a smaller, proper PC with a power supply and maybe a internal CD/DVD drive, and even an LCD or CRT. You'll still need to cut bits off the case with a dremels but it'll be much less dramatic than the ST.

I read what I just wrote over and it seems to have a somewhat offensive tone... No offense was meant, I just wanted to make it clear that that ST will be best as is.

P.S. by the way in case you didn't realize yet you can put a RPi into the actual ST not a tiny 3D print case.

P.P.S. This place isn't an instant message board like discord so it's best to type in one message at a time. If you forgot to add something on a previous post you can always edit it within an hour.

Ahha thank you i can edit messages! I did not know that, so apologies! Mac SE looks the way to go! Im sure me and the old man are up to the task!

No offense taken! Ste sounds like a hassle to do! I personally like the look more than the Mac SE, but that's up to personal taste of course. I think RB Pi might be the way to go. I thought it i sell the electronics at least they will go to a new home and not be left by the wayside 

Edited by Finn Mac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Message threads like this break my heart....  :(

I feel the pain and empathize with you, man i do but i will have the electronics stored somewhere safe or i will sell them so they don't get trashed. Also am not really willing to spend 250 - 300 au on a satan drive. But be assured i shall take good care of the electronics. If i could get the satan drive for a lower price point I'd happily do it 

Edited by Finn Mac