IGNORED

Paddle controllers and Pong on FBX?

Hi all,

I'm brand new to Atari and to the flashbacks in general, so forgive me if there's an obvious answer I'm missing, but I've read all the posts I could find and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I'm just a hair too young to have played these games originally (born in '83), but I have all the other minis from my lifetime (NES, SNES, PCE, Genesis, NG, and PS1), and I couldn't resist loading up this thing with the full library of 2600 games.  When I bought it, I quickly realized that the paddle-based games were miserable played with a joystick - Breakout demolished me, for example - so I picked up a pair of original paddles on eBay.  They're working great on the one-player games I tested - Breakout, Super Breakout, Kaboom - but I can't get them to work properly for Pong, in one or two-player mode.  Most of the time they don't work at all, but through some combination of messing around - putting the pair in the P1 position vs. P2 position, resetting the game, putting them in after starting, etc. - I am sometimes able to cause only the player 2 paddle to move, but not properly.  Basically, if I turn the paddle a little bit to the right, the paddle on screen keeps moving up (at the same pace), and if I turn it a little left, it keeps going down.  I confirmed the game works fine with the joystick, though it's obviously hard as hell to play properly with it.  I was really hoping to get this working to play pong against my wife - does anyone have any advice on what I'm doing wrong?  TIA!