IGNORED

Game And Watch is back

Ninjabba

I really fell for the marketing of the Mario Game and Watch and bought one, mainly for collecting as there's no good reason to have Mario Bros on a stand-alone device when you can run it in a virtual console on pretty much anything these days with extra functionality such as savestates.

Even though it feels like a cash grab from Nintendo, the nostalgia factor is so big on this thing that I actually would like to see more classic NES games getting the same treatment.

Any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't mind seeing more of these. I've seen others propose a Zelda version, for instance. That could be cool.

Honestly, I'd like to see the tech shoved into a Game Boy style case, add 30 or 40 games to it, then release it as a Game Boy Classic Edition.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I'd rather if they did it, they did it just for a series again and on a big anniversary, limiting it largely like SMB.  Perhaps do Zelda 1+2+G&W+better Nelsonic watch LCD next year for its 35th, Metroid is 35 too but it wouldn't work because the best you could manage would be 1+2(GB), no LCD game exists and 3+ too many buttons.

Beyond that, and I've said it for a very very long time.  They need to make some compilation carts for appropriate hardware.  3DS should have had some Virtual Boy releases.  The DS could have had anything from a NES through GBA spread of greats.   But given now the twice dipped history, and the boutique stuff popping up it would be best to do a dedicated closed handheld and have as Austin said a 30-40 game list of GB and GBC games.  While a DMG shell may be best, I wouldn't fault them for a GBC style either, because either way they'd emulate the GBC core to full effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, Serguei2 said:

It would be better for Nintendo to make a Game and Watch with all one screen LCD games included.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, Austin said:

I wouldn't mind seeing more of these. I've seen others propose a Zelda version, for instance. That could be cool.

I got one of the new Super Mario Bros. G&Ws for Christmas and had the same thoughts! Obviously the two SMB games are the main draw, but Ball turned out to be a pleasantly amusing little diversion. It would be really cool to see more of these--most likely in the form of a series of units based on Nintendo's A-list properties (namely Zelda and Donkey Kong), but also ones that are loaded with LCD G&W games.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

You're late to the party, but fun to watch again.  They did a nice job on this one over the Mario handheld, though I question the sanity of Link's Vermin??  That's dumb, while the real G&W would be a mess squeezed into one screen, the Nelsonic watch plays much like a tweaked version of the first games dungeons and plays well.  Either way, nice selection, even if it's the non-color GB version, and the nice playable clock bits is amusing too.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, Tanooki said:

... while the real G&W would be a mess squeezed into one screen, ...

Actually, it could have been done without having to squeeze both screens into one. The top screen of Nintendo's Zelda G&W is only used for the map and items, as well as the boss fight. So this could have worked by letting the player toggle between the top and bottom screen at will with either the START or SELECT button (the bottom screen would be inaccessible during the boss fight) and this could have been used as a pause function, as a bonus. So yeah, Vermin is nice, but the real Zelda G&W would have been much better, especially with the real original G&W getting pretty pricy over the years.

• Like 1

@PixelboyI know, I remember it as I owned it a couple times before.  And they've done something of the sort anyway on Gameboy too with the G&W Gallery games as they did Oil Panic among others.  The playing field would take up like 2/3 of the screen, and a reduced size box centered on top of that within the same LCD had a mini version of the action easy enough to see.

I would have preferred in the end either LCD Zelda, Vermin never was that good in the first place in that era.  It was like this lazy version up from the dirt of what had already been done anyway.

I wish I had some of my old G&W games still, namely Climber, Balloon Fight, and Goldcliff they had the most play replay value for not just being mindless point grinders.  I'd include Zelda too, if it wasn't like what $200 now?  Hah.  Also come to think of it, DK, DKjr and DK2 too.

My thing is I'm thankful, it seems I can find one a year around here so far for the last 2 years for super cheap and that's enough to keep moderately entertained when I choose to be.  A year ago was Pinball for like $20, and then this year a month maybe ago was Parachute (I never owned this, but had it on G&W Gallery) for $25 in a lot of 5 items (3 broken beyond repair) so amazing deal too.  They're great little distractions, but not when they cost $100-200 each.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1