IGNORED

WTB: Atari 7800 box in great shape

Gamma Goochee

Hey everyone,

I've bought an NOS 7800 for my kids (and myself -- who am I kidding?) as the "big gift" under the Christmas tree this year, but the only problem is that the seller reports that the box has a slight odour of cigarette smoke. The items inside will (hopefully) not have the odour, but I want to find a fresh box that won't make my kids' and my wife's noses turn up when they unwrap it.

Does anyone have an original (or repro, though I don't think anyone has made any) box from their 7800 that they don't need? I would like it to be in nice shape, though I'm not expecting perfection. Also, if it smells like smoke that would be a non-starter for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

Joe Walsh reference?

If you can't find a replacement box in time, you can de-odorize cigarette smoke from cardboard by putting it in a big enough plastic bag and filling it with ozone for a few hours. You can get ozone generators from Amazon for like $30.

Great advice -- thanks! I didn't know that, actually. I also thought about just putting it out in the sun to air out, but sunshine is getting harder to come by these days.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bennybingo said:

Fabric softener sheets in a bag work as well...it takes longer, but does help get rid of that stale smoke smell.  ?

Thanks for some more good advice. I think I might try this. 

the 7800 arrived and it doesn’t smell nearly as much of smoke as I feared. In fact, it just smells like anybody’s old, unfinished basement. Not bad at all. I might try the bag and fabric sheet idea after a leaving it a half day outside. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1