IGNORED

FS/FO: gone for now

SearsRoebuck

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Quick few notes for any that might be interested in the 32x for them to be aware of.

While the composite video has been disabled from the 32x (required in order to get clear s-video output), the sync signal itself has been brought over to the composite output so that the HDRetrovision cable would still work properly with the 32x. You will see in the pics there is a small round nub on the right hand side on the back of the 32x. Originally I installed a toggle switch to enable/disable the composite video output. However, even with a switch, just the wiring alone was enough to still cause doubling of the image in s-video output so ultimately it had to be removed completely. I installed that small plug to help cover the hole a bit instead of leaving the toggle switch that didn't do anything or leaving a hole.

@SearsRoebuck had issues with this 32x locking up before it was sent to me but I was never able to reproduce the issues with my setups at the Ivory Tower. The 32x was recapped around the same time the s-video was added about 2 years ago. It is an older first revision of the 32x if memory serves. I've attached pics of the 32x to my reply for those interested...

Pic of the overall board with new caps done in August 2020. This pic still shows the switch wired up to enable/disable composite video, but that was removed in the final project.

Recapped.thumb.jpg.ef5988221459d31b0eb735b7262694ac.jpg

Here is a closeup of the components added for s-video. Hot glue was used to keep the components in place since they aren't on a PCB in this case.

svid_redone.thumb.jpg.884e53c2cbc7e27f7392f92c8e970f50.jpg

Here is a pic of the restored c-sync signal filtered from the Genesis side and routed to the 32x AV output side. Again, this is only the composite sync signal and not the actual full composite video signal itself. Again, this was done so that HDRetrovision cables could still be used on the 32x output since those cables rely on the the composite video for their sync signal in order to work.

csync_fix.thumb.jpg.c3533958fbdadcd186859fbc156f7d9a.jpg