IGNORED

Price-Check: Sega Master System II

DNA128k

Hello,

Just wondering what the going rate for loose Master System IIs is now, or if anyone has one they're trying to get rid of.

Looking for something to play SG-1000 games on with a flash cart, almost everything on eBay is PAL and/or overpriced.

Edited by DNA128k

Master System II consoles (NTSC versions) are not only extremely rare and pricey if you can find them, but they are inferior in many ways to an original Sega Master System. They are only RF (no composite) and cannot accept Sega Cards or the 3D Glasses. The original master system can output composite as well as RGB and accepts everything. And it can play SG-1000 games via a flash cart as well.

You are probably looking at $80-$100 for a decent Master System set with a controller and a power supply. Maybe more. Prices on these have gone up over the years. I just scored a boxed Master System with two controllers and light phaser for $80, and that was sold as "untested" with no PSU and no av cables. Thankfully the system works fine, but both controllers are not functional and I need to repair them. And even at that price I consider myself very lucky to have scored that set for so low.

If eBay's any indication it looks like they go anywhere between $70-$100 minus shipping. They're fairly limited (no reset button, no card slot, only RF output) and fairly difficult to come across since they came out very late in the SMS's lifespan in the US, so I would honestly just get an original SMS. I assume you're looking for an SMS II because of the size?

2 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Master System II consoles (NTSC versions) are not only extremely rare and pricey if you can find them, but they are inferior in many ways to an original Sega Master System. They are only RF (no composite) and cannot accept Sega Cards or the 3D Glasses. The original master system can output composite as well as RGB and accepts everything. And it can play SG-1000 games via a flash cart as well.

You are probably looking at $80-$100 for a decent Master System set with a controller and a power supply. Maybe more. Prices on these have gone up over the years. I just scored a boxed Master System with two controllers and light phaser for $80, and that was sold as "untested" with no PSU and no av cables. Thankfully the system works fine, but both controllers are not functional and I need to repair them. And even at that price I consider myself very lucky to have scored that set for so low.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

1 minute ago, ApolloBoy said:

If eBay's any indication it looks like they go anywhere between $70-$100 minus shipping. They're fairly limited (no reset button, no card slot, only RF output) and fairly difficult to come across since they came out very late in the SMS's lifespan in the US, so I would honestly just get an original SMS. I assume you're looking for an SMS II because of the size?

Yeah, size mainly — I'm aware of the limitations, but figured that would make them less expensive, not more.  I suppose I can start looking for the regular models instead.

If you are really dead set on an SMS II, they do come up...for around $200-$250 when I see them. But for me, even if they were $100 I still would not get one. The lack of card support I can deal with, but RF only is just a bummer. Not to mention the fact that the console looks like a cheap vacuum cleaner base ;)

1 minute ago, eightbit said:

If you are really dead set on an SMS II, they do come up...for around $200-$250 when I see them. But for me, even if they were $100 I still would not get one. The lack of card support I can deal with, but RF only is just a bummer. Not to mention the fact that the console looks like a cheap vacuum cleaner base ;)

Agreed, not at all worth it at that price.  I had a mangled one 10+ years ago, but it was in such rough shape I gave it to a friend!  Thanks for the help, I'll just watch the forums and close this up for now...

If I needed one I would take a chance on this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MASTER-SYSTEM-3010-CONSOLE-ONLY-UNTESTED-FOR-PARTS-OR-REPAIR/224248532329?hash=item3436410d69:g:T3MAAOSwlIxfvZ-o

In my experience they usually work. And, if they do not it is typically a solder break in the barrel connector or the voltage regulator was blown out due to someone using a NES power supply on it. Both issues are easily fixed.

3 minutes ago, DNA128k said:

Yeah, size mainly — I'm aware of the limitations, but figured that would make them less expensive, not more.  I suppose I can start looking for the regular models instead.

Yeah, a lot of the reason why they're so expensive is largely because of their rarity. You can modify them for AV and RGB out to mitigate the RF problem, but you still won't have a way to play Sega Cards (and hence no 3-D glasses) and you'll have no reset button.

They also don't look all that nice with a cart inserted:

Rent Sega Master System II in London (rent for £8.00 / day, £40.00 / week,  £133.29 / month) | Fat Llama

I'm actually watching this one as we speak!

Just now, ApolloBoy said:

Yeah, a lot of the reason why they're so expensive is largely because of their rarity. You can modify them for AV and RGB out to mitigate the RF problem, but you still won't have a way to play Sega Cards (and hence no 3-D glasses) and you'll have no reset button.

They also don't look all that nice with a cart inserted:

Can't argue with that... ?

3 minutes ago, eightbit said:

In my experience they usually work. And, if they do not it is typically a solder break in the barrel connector or the voltage regulator was blown out due to someone using a NES power supply on it. Both issues are easily fixed.

Another issue I've found (mainly with consoles that have Hang-On/Safari Hunt built-in) is that the solder joints on the cartridge connector break since all the solder joints are on one side of the motherboard. It's another easy fix, just reflow them and it should be good. Earlier models (ones that have the hidden Snail Maze game) have a higher quality motherboard and don't really have this issue.

If I were a gambling man I would say that both of those consoles work. I purchased many "untested" SMS consoles on ebay over the years and never encounted one that did not. Maybe just luck. But, even if it is "bad", the shells on those are in excellent shape. You can then purchase a really nasty (but working) SMS and swap the motherboards ;)

Another issue I've found (mainly with consoles that have Hang-On/Safari Hunt built-in) is that the solder joints on the cartridge connector break since all the solder joints are on one side of the motherboard. It's another easy fix, just reflow them and it should be good. Earlier models (ones that have the hidden Snail Maze game) have a higher quality motherboard and don't really have this issue.

Very good to know, thank you!

Just now, eightbit said:

If I were a gambling man I would say that both of those consoles work. I purchased many "untested" SMS consoles on ebay over the years and never encounted one that did not. Maybe just luck. But, even if it is "bad", the shells on those are in excellent shape. You can then purchase a really nasty (but working) SMS and swap the motherboards ;)

Agreed, I don't think I've ever purchased an "untested" console that didn't work after some TLC.

That's interesting. I have the "Enjoy!!!" BIOS model. Interesting tidbit is that they all have the snail maze game, even the hang on/safari hunt model. Just hold UP and 1+2 as you turn the power on the machine :)

That's interesting. I have the "Enjoy!!!" BIOS model.

My first SMS was this model. The video quality through composite also looks better on these as they use a different video encoder (Sony V7040) than later models (CXA1145). My current SMS is a later model that had Hang-On/Safari Hunt built-in and the composite video looks absolutely horrible. If you're using RGB it doesn't really matter though.

4 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

My first SMS was this model. The video quality through composite also looks better on these as they use a different video encoder (Sony V7040) than later models (CXA1145). My current SMS is a later model that had Hang-On/Safari Hunt built-in and the composite video looks absolutely horrible. If you're using RGB it doesn't really matter though.

I can agree with that. My model is currently connected composite to a Sony Wega and if I didn't say anything you would think it WAS connected via RGB :)

On 11/27/2020 at 8:49 AM, Bratwurst said:

For what it's worth most 'dead' Master Systems in my experience are from people plugging in NES AC adapters and can be fixed by replacing the 7805 voltage regulator.

I really wish people would stop doing that. But, I blame Nintendo. They knew what they were doing. Put that 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel on the brick of death and see how many people fry the opposing consoles! Sadistic bastards.

To be fair I think Nintendo used AC voltage in case people would use strange AC adapters on their NES and blow the 7805 or something, saving their customers (and their service department!) a headache. There aren't that many pre-crash consoles that use a 5.5 x 2.1 mm jack to begin with anyway so I don't think Nintendo was particularly concerned about people using the NES AC adapter on other systems back in 1985.