IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 Switch - Video Fuzzy after a while, corrects when power cycle

My53Jubilee

My Atari 2600 4 switch unit is demonstration fuzzy video in a way I have not seen describe yet.  I am guessing it may be a capacitor issue, but wanted the help of the forum.

PROBLEM:  Video starts out very clear, with all colors correct.  After playing the game for a while (10 minutes), the video turns fuzzy with snowy haze.  To temporarily solve the problem, I can turn the unit OFF then ON.  Everything is fine for another few minutes, then fuzzy again.  Seems like it takes less time to get fuzzy (after power cycle) as the unit warms up.  Since power cycling the Atari solves the problem temporarily, what could this be?  I want to make repairs in the the right logical order.

Thanks!

Sounds like a component may be on the way out, could take the top off and check for signs of overheating.

It could be on the power side, or the display side as being indicated.

If you have a multi meter you can check voltages of the components on both sides before and after to see if you have an obvious culprit.

From the information however I'd be inclined to change the capacitors first.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:32 AM, My53Jubilee said:

Thank you.  What order would you recommend I change the capacitors, and where can I order them for my unit?  I have a 4 switch from 1982.

If you are in the US then I would advise just getting one of the refurb kits from Console5 specific for the 4-switch and replace everything applicable.

https://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-tune-up-cap-kit-new-capacitors-and-more.html

All you really need in this case is to choose the refresh kit for the 4-switch/Jr models and nothing else on that page unless you feel inclined to replace additional stuff like the RCA output jack etc.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:13 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

If you are in the US then I would advise just getting one of the refurb kits from Console5 specific for the 4-switch and replace everything applicable.

https://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-tune-up-cap-kit-new-capacitors-and-more.html

All you really need in this case is to choose the refresh kit for the 4-switch/Jr models and nothing else on that page unless you feel inclined to replace additional stuff like the RCA output jack etc.

I've been offline, luckily you're always very helpful with giving advice.