IGNORED

Real Digital Audio

Eric Rousseau

Hi people !

To continue developing my Music Light Controller using the 800XL, i wish I could use a bit of real audio for the demo version.

So, let me be clearer:

I have this demo file that plays sampled digital audio through the pokey chip I guess, probably in 8 or 4 bits range at low sampling rate.

But hey ! This was COOL at the time ! (And still is keeping in mind we only had 64k !).

The file seem to be compressed (like pklite) , so I cannot access the audio data nor the machine language player to disassemble and replicate the process.

Anyone can point me to do so, play audio on the 800xl in Machine Language using sampled audio with cool edit pro or audacity ?

Or decompress this file so I can get audio data and source code ?

And by the way, maybe convert it to an ATR format wich I am more familiar to disassemble ?

Thanks !

PS: Just found this, will read on...

your body my body (19xx) [demo].xex

Edited by Eric Rousseau

I have found the same file uncompressed. Here it is.

I also found that it was written in ACTION language.

Will try to see what I can do with that so far...

If you load this file as a RAW audio in Cool Edit Pro, it seems to be 4 bits audio at 2.5 Khz sampling approx.

This is quickly said, didn't take time to really check dough.

Don't know the power of ACTION language yet, it seems to be a high level compiler...

I thought it was high level interpreter easier than basic but slower...

It has been written by Jakub Husak. Will try to find more info...

Your Body My Body (Uncompressed).xex

13 hours ago, Eric Rousseau said:

Don't know the power of ACTION language yet, it seems to be a high level compiler...

I thought it was high level interpreter easier than basic but slower...

regarding Action:

- high level interpreter - correct, I think.

- easier than basic - debatable, I think.

- but slower - errrm, no, Action! is much faster than Basic

You can find the Demo YBMB also at atarimania and read some comments there, e.g.

"sikor - 04/06/2010: Great digitalized intro, programmers are Jakub Husak, programming language is ACTION!, not machine language!!!"

"jhusak - 05/02/2014: I'm afraid Sikor, that I have coded it in machine language... MAC65."

Thus, it seems Jakub Husak did not use Action! but MAC65 instead.

• Like 1

Ok, according to Atarimania in the link it was done using Action.

But since jhusak said MAC65, I guess HE really knows !

Is jhusak available somewhere ?

I wish to ask him about the source code, or where/how he learned how to do this so I can lean too !

i.e. wich books ??

BTW, if it is MAC65, the I should be able to disassemble the source code... and learn from it and copy the process.

Don't worry, I'll be glad to give all due credits to jhusak !

I'll try to do some loopless demo for my light controller by using partial bank playing like he did... something like s3m audio tracker programs do using sampled audio.

But I will probably change the digitized song for something with slower beat for my needs.

I realize now in 2020 that there were so many things to do and to learn on the 800xl that I didn't know in 1985 due to the lack of information and books

available in the Montreal area. All I had was Antic, Analog and Compute! magazines mostly... the day I learned how to controll TTL logic using the joystick

port is the day that changed my life.

Before that i remember using 4 photocell (magic eyes) put on the CRT tv using scotch tape and a blank blanket over it to block external light.

Then I drew 4 big blocks at 4 different colors under the photocells and changes the color of then using poke command.

It was on gr. 7 I think... When the block was lite, (white) the photocell become low resistance and triggered a relay to control 110v appliances !

But this is another topic here, sorry... just being nostalgia.

About Action, I wish I knew it at the time. I was using Synassembler then...

Ok, thanks people, I will try to disassemble this and continue my project, will let you know about it...

Well,

Jakub is from Poland and he seems to be very active at atarionline.pl forums, maybe you can register there and ask him for the source - alternatively I could ask him. Think that the sample is simply "Let's all chant" by Michael Zager Band, sampled with a 4Bit sampler (e.g. from Mirage or a selfmade one) and he added a machine language player and a nice equalizer effect.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of 2Bit and 4Bit sample demos available for the A8. Think I have several sample players, but I am not sure if I have some sample player sources in Basic, TB XL or Assembler.  On Fandal's webpage you will find several demos with the search string "Digital" and "Sample" and also several games with sampled sound or sampled voices/speech:

http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=Digital&butt_details_x=

http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=Sample&butt_details_x=

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=323

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1918

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3139

Antic or Analog also published a sample player (ASP) with sources and schematics...

Sample_TOOLS.zip

sample_text_and_source.zip

Samples.zip