IGNORED

Bounty Bob Strikes Back problem

xxl

bounty bob uses custom banking scheme, developed for protecting atari 2600 games

repeated pia adresses - resulting in what you can observe here

repeated pokey adresses - resulting in lazy birds and game unplayable at all if there is something more than single pokey on the bus

if there was a wast amount of games that would use that banking scheme, or coding "standards" this would be noticed, and fixed, but there are none

the other example i know of was road race, and i took care to make it playable when releasing u1mb board

according to all available literature pokey address range is 0xd200-0xd20f, PIA is 0xd300-0xd303, remaining space is simply the result of address decoder being cheap, and there is no advantage of using remaining space for addressing these chips other than obscuring the code

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, candle said:

according to all available literature pokey address range is 0xd200-0xd20f, PIA is 0xd300-0xd303,

according to all available literature PIA is D300-D3FF

"Locations 54020 to 54271 ($D304 to $D3FF) are repeats of locations 54016 to 54019 ($D300 to $D303)."

Edited by xxl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, xxl said:

according to all available literature PIA is D300-D3FF

"Locations 54020 to 54271 ($D304 to $D3FF) are repeats of locations 54016 to 54019 ($D300 to $D303)."

From the Atari 400/800 Operating System User's Manual, Section 4 System Memory Utilization, Mapped I/O, page 32:

While the entire address space from D000 to D7FF has been allocated for I/O decoding, only the following subregions are used:

D000-D01F = GTIA
    D200-D21F = POKEY
    D300-D31F = PIA
    D400-D41F = ANTIC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, candle said:

they are there because in course of development i found SOME games using this obscursion methods, not all of them, and most importantly, i didn't imagine, that sane person, would use such methods novadays

So the addresses at the end of the page do not work just because you have not tested games and programs honestly, such as SynFile +. it had to be said immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, xxl said:

Does Bounty Bob Strikes Back work on Atari with U1MB?

---

you can move the hero with the joystick?

Bounty Bob Strikes Back doesn't work with atari800 emulator either. The USGold Cassette version does but all other versions don't work properly on level 2. Been documented for years and still no fix.

20 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Bounty Bob Strikes Back doesn't work with atari800 emulator either. The USGold Cassette version does but all other versions don't work properly on level 2. Been documented for years and still no fix.

My solutions: a) use original BBSB cart, b) copy the US-Gold tape (and Americana tape) onto a bootdisk with e.g. Howfen tape to disk.

Afair, there are already several fixed versions (level 6 bug and others) of BBSB available for download at AA forum...

Hi,

AFAIK the best non-cart version is from Homesoft, as posted by Mclaneinc in post #3.

There are some Xex's and Atr's of the game, but all had flaws in one way or another.
Some files were Pal only, some would not run if you had over 64kb of ram,

and ALL would not handle System Reset correctly(Unplayable corruption on 2'nd screen Hydraulic Lift).

There is enormous copy protection on this cartridge.

Homesoft made the best version I'm aware of.

I created an ATR using Homesofts file and Turbo Freezer.

I put in the documented cheat using the 61800 number.

Now you can press the following keys while playing:

B - Back to the place where you were standing last
Q - Next level
A - Previous level
Z - Restart level
F - Bounty Bob can move freely and can not die.

(This is the best cheat) - To go to any level type the level number(ex. 03,11,08 ect.). There are 25 levels.

The Atr loads 500 sectors but when it is put in "The!Cart" or other Multi-Carts, it takes about 2 seconds to load.

Here is the Atr if anybody wants to play with it.

Bounty Bob Strikes Back.atr

• Like 2