IGNORED

Mega ST vs STE

both have blitter

Mega ST - desktop case with detachable keyboard,  keyboard quality is much nicer than standard STe.  Have at 2 or 4mb standard.  Also internal space for a hard drive.

STe - comes in 1040-style case where keyboard/CPU/floppy integrated into one using,  512mb or 1040mb standard, but upgrading to 4mb is pretty simple as it uses standard SIMMs.   STe has better sound/graphics capabilities.   Including a new sound-chip capable of playing digital audio,  4096 color palette (vs 512 on Mega ST), Hardware Scrolling features.  Audio out ports for connecting to external speakers, and an RF-modulator allowing TV usage.

There's also a Mega STe, which has STe features, plus detachable keyboard and a 16mhz CPU.  (vs 8mhz in all other ST models)

20 minutes ago, leech said:

Also of note, the 520/1040 STe have the 15pin Joystick ports on them, where as the Mega STe is lacking them.

oh yes, forgot about that!    They were for the Jaguar game pads basically.   Did anything else use them?   Not a lot of games took advantage.   Most expect the classic 9-pin joysticks which were a pain to plug in on the 1040-style cases.

21 minutes ago, zzip said:

oh yes, forgot about that!    They were for the Jaguar game pads basically.   Did anything else use them?   Not a lot of games took advantage.   Most expect the classic 9-pin joysticks which were a pain to plug in on the 1040-style cases.

Nah, really not much used them.  I mean technically they were for the Atari Power Pad, which IS an Atari Jaguar controller with a shorter/thinner cord and different colors.  They supported Analog though!  (which apparently the later revision Jaguars do not).

4 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

So you couldn't use joysticks for the Mega STe other than the Jaguar's? No adapter?

All STs can use the standard Atari 2600 joysticks and compatibles.  

STe had new joystick ports in addition to those.   They were Jaguar compatible.   They were also conveniently located on the side of the STe, while the 9-pin ports are located under the keyboard, at an angle, which makes it a bit annoying to plug joysticks and mice into.   The Megas and the original 520ST model (before they made floppy drives internal) had much better joystick port placement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

So the 1040 STe had a need for special joysticks?

I want to say the Giana Sisters re(master?) will work with it... there were a few others.  Most of the time the support for those worked on Falcon games as they came with the same ports as well.  I'm sure there are more games for just the STe that support them, but more likely they were created after the 'death' of the system.  Thought I saw a list somewhere.

Edit: @ParanoidLittleMan Patched OIDs to use it!  Awesome to play with the JagPad!

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

So the 1040 STe had a need for special joysticks?

No, again, you're getting them mixed up.

The 1040STe had the regular 9-pin joystick ports as well as the 15-pin ports on the left-hand side of the machine. You could use either, assuming you had a controller that worked with them and software that took advantage of them.

The Mega STe did not have these extra ports. It only had the standard 9-pin ports that all STs had.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

No, again, you're getting them mixed up.

The 1040STe had the regular 9-pin joystick ports as well as the 15-pin ports on the left-hand side of the machine. You could use either, assuming you had a controller that worked with them and software that took advantage of them.

The Mega STe did not have these extra ports. It only had the standard 9-pin ports that all STs had.

My first ST was the Mega STe, then I later bought a TT030, which at the time didn't get a whole lot of use because so much of the software didn't work on it, then I got a 1040STfm that a friend sold to me.  Then I got my Falcon, and was like 'cool, it has Jaguar controller ports on it!  Or more realistically the Extended Joystic Port, as the Falcon was released before the Jag.  I had no idea that the 520/1040 STe had them too, and then was kind of miffed that the Mega STe and TT didn't have them.  But then as much as they are used, it's not a HUGE loss, but I think I have my bases covered with ST compatibility / usefulness now :)

22 minutes ago, zzip said:

Well remember these were the 'business' machines in the line.   Putting enhanced joystick ports on them would send the wrong message ?

Ha, this is true.  I still think the Mega STe should have had an 020, TT shifter and been the mid-tier computer line, vs it being just a 16mhz w/cache STe with a detachable keyboard.  I mean even with the VME slot on it, from what I've read/seen, the CPU is just barely too slow for it to be a really nice workstation.

1 minute ago, DarkLord said:

We should have seen the STe, Mega STe, TT, STacy etc, years before they were released.

It is what it is though....  :(

PS And I totally agree with all of them needing more "umph".

Yeah, I mean we should have seen the EST, TT, Sparrow, Falcon040 :)  We really only got one and most of the Sparrow which became the Falcon.  That Falcon040 case looks amazing and would have been sweet.  Though I'm not sure if the plan was to use ISA or PCI or their own custom slot like Amiga has Zorro for expansion slots.

Just now, leech said:

Yeah, I mean we should have seen the EST, TT, Sparrow, Falcon040 :)  We really only got one and most of the Sparrow which became the Falcon.  That Falcon040 case looks amazing and would have been sweet.  Though I'm not sure if the plan was to use ISA or PCI or their own custom slot like Amiga has Zorro for expansion slots.

Yeah, I love those pics - and to think it had to do with the Sony PS! Can't even begin to imagine an '040 Falcon in that case.

(but it's fun trying!)   :)