IGNORED

Sears Tele-Games Display Issue

Sinjinhawke

On 11/29/2020 at 1:29 PM, Sinjinhawke said:

To be honest I don’t know what is wrong with it.  Last I recall the tv reacts to powering it on but screen remains dark.  I keep it around because I hoped to one day make it work again.  

Not a guarantee or anything. But I've revived two with black screen conditions by simply replacing out both of the 3906 transistor after confirming all the power from the power board was correct. Can't miss them, as they are next to each other, have a ferrite bead on one of their legs and usually surrounded by scorch discoloring around them on the mainboard because they get crazy hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not a guarantee or anything. But I've revived two with black screen conditions by simply replacing out both of the 3906 transistor after confirming all the power from the power board was correct. Can't miss them, as they are next to each other, have a ferrite bead on one of their legs and usually surrounded by scorch discoloring around them on the mainboard because they get crazy hot.

Those two transistors turned out to be the cheap & easy fix for the black screen on my console. Definitely worth trying.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into that.  I'm going to open both of them to take a look.  I don't have much skill beyond recently desoldering some bad 8-bit Atari DRAM and replacing it with sockets and new DRAM (it works but does not look pretty).  Is that just solder holding the RF shield over the Intellivision board?

36 minutes ago, Kamikazi26 said:

No CMart, sorry, not of Rev. I’m still traumatized after the first ones you showed me. 

Hmmmm. I just did a search on AtariAge for posts that had both the words "Rev" and "traumatized" and was absolutely shocked to find out that this was the only instance. I would think these two words would be linked together in the local vernacular like pork and beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Chuck D. Head said:

Hmmmm. I just did a search on AtariAge for posts that had both the words "Rev" and "traumatized" and was absolutely shocked to find out that this was the only instance. I would think these two words would be linked together in the local vernacular like pork and beans.

Haha! You would think...

I took apart my non-functioning original Intellivision to do some chip swapping with the Sears.  Unfortunately the Sears only has 3 socketed chips.  The CPU, STIC and the System RAM.

When I swapped them the Sears still had garbled graphics.  So those chips are ok (I assume).  

I also hooked up the non functioning Intellivision board to the Sears power supply.  Still just a black screen.  So at least I know it's not the power supply, CPU, STIC or SRAM on the non functioning unit.  I have some transistors (2N3906) on order.  Might try swapping out those on the non functioning unit.

As for the Sears I ordered a couple GRAM chips and a few of the other standard IC's.  If I am going to try and desolder them I will put in sockets while I am at it.  Every single tab is soldered on the Sears.  Going to be a nightmare getting the bottom RF shield off.  The solder on the cartridge slot looks nasty.  Is it supposed to cover those four pins?

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Yes.  Those are ground pins, which provides static ground for the CPU case and ground path for the board.  That's what they usually look like, but I agree...yours does look a little rough.

Maybe it was repaired at one point.  Do you have any stickers on the base near the serial number from a repair shop?  Are there other spots on the board that look non-factory soldered?

The older boards have the chips soldered to the board...the newer ones have chip sockets.  I tried doing what you did once, and I found it very time consuming and tedious.  You just need a solder remover strip or suction pump.  Take one pin off at a time.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 1

I'll just slowly work on removing the tabs.  The GRAM IC's will take some time to get here with all the holiday parcels out there.  I can take my time.  Had to order some 22 pin sockets as I didn't have any of those.  The transistors will get here first so maybe I an get the the non functioning one working again.  Will be nice to have 4 working Intellivision's if I don't mess this up.

• Like 1