IGNORED

Wanted: Atari 7800 w/ VGA, DVI or SCART Output

KLS5026

1 hour ago, KLS5026 said:

Looking for an Atari 7800 with VGA, DVI or SCART output on the system. No S-Video, HDMI or AV. Already have an AV and HDMI system with these outputs.

Those mods don't exist, other than cramming a garbage consumer-grade video conversion box into the system, which is likely what's going on with that 'HDMI' system.

• Like 3

I have one and it looks to me like the Atari factory stock 7800 SCART RGB board is fed from separate chroma/luma signals, not composite, and mixes POKEY audio in with system audio. The output is very good, certainly way better than RF, but it's not quite as clean as an Atari 7800 modded with UAV. By that I mean, edges of objects onscreen are as crisp or perhaps a bit better than UAV, but backgrounds and filled areas have some rolling noise where UAV output is cleaner.

There's a site in Germany that claims to have a SCART RGB mod that cleans up the video signal further to be superior to UAV, although I'm not clear if it's a mod to the stock Atari SCART RGB board or a replacement/new RGB solution.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:37 AM, KLS5026 said:

I'm willing to take that French one. The only problem is finding someone who has it that will ship to USA.

PAL 7800s have compatibility issues with a good chunk of NTSC games, I would just spend the money on a 7800 with the UAV mod and use it with a RetroTINK through S-video.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, MrZarniwoop said:

I have one and it looks to me like the Atari factory stock 7800 SCART RGB board is fed from separate chroma/luma signals, not composite, and mixes POKEY audio in with system audio. The output is very good, certainly way better than RF, but it's not quite as clean as an Atari 7800 modded with UAV. By that I mean, edges of objects onscreen are as crisp or perhaps a bit better than UAV, but backgrounds and filled areas have some rolling noise where UAV output is cleaner.

There's a site in Germany that claims to have a SCART RGB mod that cleans up the video signal further to be superior to UAV, although I'm not clear if it's a mod to the stock Atari SCART RGB board or a replacement/new RGB solution.

I heard the same thing with the quality and audio. I have an HDMI and AV/SVIDEO 7800. They're alright... Not the best of what I actually see from my 5200 running through DVI or the 2600 going through RGB Scart.

Main reason on why I'm looking for the 7800 French Scart one.

10 hours ago, KLS5026 said:

I heard the same thing with the quality and audio. I have an HDMI and AV/SVIDEO 7800. They're alright... Not the best of what I actually see from my 5200 running through DVI or the 2600 going through RGB Scart.

Main reason on why I'm looking for the 7800 French Scart one.

I'd love to see this HDMI 7800 you speak of.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I'd love to see this HDMI 7800 you speak of.

The cheap 7800 HDMI-modded ones I've seen on eBay usually rely on pre-UAV composite mods plus dodgy HDMI converters that distort the aspect ratio to 16:9, creating a picture no better than composite. But that German site claims to have a high-quality RGB-based HDMI.

3 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

The cheap 7800 HDMI-modded ones I've seen on eBay usually rely on pre-UAV composite mods plus dodgy HDMI converters that distort the aspect ratio to 16:9, creating a picture no better than composite. But that German site claims to have a high-quality RGB-based HDMI.

I'm well aware. I wanted to see what the OP thought was an HDMI system so I could explain to them why it was not in hopes they don't get ripped off any further in the future.

33 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I'm well aware. I wanted to see what the OP thought was an HDMI system so I could explain to them why it was not in hopes they don't get ripped off any further in the future.

The HDMI one I have... Is actually not that bad and blends the static/blocky images together on TV into a clear picture. The colors aren't as vibrant, and it's nothing compared to the 5200 DVI or 2600 RGB SCART one I have though.

I'm willing to pay for the French SCART one. Just to see/experience it and see for myself. Worse case scenario... It's not as good and I just hook it up to the TV in the basement and use it when I'm down there and leave the AV/SVIDEO one connected in the living room.

32 minutes ago, KLS5026 said:

The HDMI one I have... Is actually not that bad and blends the static/blocky images together on TV into a clear picture. The colors aren't as vibrant, and it's nothing compared to the 5200 DVI or 2600 RGB SCART one I have though.

I'm willing to pay for the French SCART one. Just to see/experience it and see for myself. Worse case scenario... It's not as good and I just hook it up to the TV in the basement and use it when I'm down there and leave the AV/SVIDEO one connected in the living room.

My understanding is that the French Scart unit doesn't display all the colors correctly either. Unless that is just the SECAM one I'm thinking about or is that the same thing?

I don't know the specifics of the german site that has the HDMI modded 7800s, but I can tell you that I've undone the "HDMI" mod on 2 different 7800 consoles. Both were using a composite to HDMI conreter/upscaler that had been taken apart to just the bare board. Inside the 7800 the cheap transistor composite mod had been installed with the composite output going directly into the HDMI converter board along with the audio. Then everything was 3M double tacked to the top of the RF shield. The power for the converter was being fed directly from the 7800s 7805 regulator. Not good since the internal and original 7805 is only just specc'd to drive the 7800 as it is much less anything else power hungry. And yes the overall picture resulted in a darker image that was stretched to 16:9 ratio from the HDMI output, took several seconds to actually display a picture to boot up, along with additional lag. UAVs in both of them cleared that up with a composite that looked better than the HDMI output was producing at the time.

If someone insists on something like this in the future, then I advise that a better quality converter be used that can process s-video along with a UAV and a separate power supply to power everything in one box. Or... just get a UAV and a Retrotink and call it a day until something better comes along.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If someone insists on something like this in the future, then I advise that a better quality converter be used that can process s-video along with a UAV and a separate power supply to power everything in one box. Or... just get a UAV and a Retrotink and call it a day until something better comes along.

Amen.

15 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

My understanding is that the French Scart unit doesn't display all the colors correctly either. Unless that is just the SECAM one I'm thinking about or is that the same thing?

My factory-stock French Atari 7800 definitely plays PAL cartridges and outputs true RGB (not PAL, not SECAM) over SCART @ 50hz. The colors seem fine to me? It may be a touch crisper on edges than the UAV over S-Video, but the factory RGB SCART is not as clean a picture which I can notice on colored backgrounds. The original NTSC cartridges largely have poor results on my French 7800 although some are playable. Many homebrew games seem to adapt to PAL just fine.

For NTSC, I briefly considered an internal HDMI mod with a GBS Control. But when I added up the costs and complexity the UAV + RetroTINK 2X-MINI was easier.

1 hour ago, KLS5026 said:

I'm willing to pay for the French SCART one. Just to see/experience it and see for myself. 

Again, I think you're going to be disappointed because the French 7800 is really a PAL system at heart and will have minor to major compatibility issues with most of the NTSC library.

• Like 1