IGNORED

LynXmas 2020 Game Jam

Igor

LynXmas2020_header.thumb.png.68d8dde6c8364f1ebdcbceb018d49afa.png

Welcome to the Lynx 2020 Game Jam! Atari Gamer, in conjunction with AtariAgeejagfest and Sillyventure, are bringing you this festive themed game jam to get some cheer, laughter and fun going into this Holiday Season!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make an Atari Lynx game within the next 15 days, to have fun and put a smile on players' faces. There are no prizes this time around, it is just for fun and enjoyment and to show off your skills.

See the full details of this game jam here - https://itch.io/jam/lynxmas2020

Please use this forum thread as the main discussion thread for this game jam.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

Since there is a 32KB limit for the entry, there could have been an additional rule to not use cart segments, so to make it easy to make a multi game cart release after the compo.

Anyway, I'm in. Tonight ... coding  ?

This is obviously a "flat-file" contest with music in RAM.

Flappy Bird was exactly 32KB. So that should give an idea of the complexity you can squeeze in.

• Like 2

This is obviously a "flat-file" contest with music in RAM.

Well I'd argue the opposite, it's not super obvious and one could play with the words here... ;)  But I guess the intention is indeed to have a single .o binary of 32kb max that contains all code and art.

This is harsh but interesting at the same time as it means focusing on the game only and not the presentation.

edit: just read the footnotes makes it clear :)

-> "You give Atari Gamer and competition organisers permission to have your game published on a physical 'multicart' "

@Igor In the event this cart is edited, is it reasonable to assume that all participants on the cart will at least get a free copy?

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

@LordKraken - that is the intent, I know that @Albert always sends out copies of games to the developers so I would not expect anything less if this does happen too. As for ejagfest and SV, they don't usually produce carts, but I'd imagine the same will apply. Atari Gamer will not be producing a physical cart.

The intent is indeed to have a flat ROM without segments, it's not so much in the rules, but for a 32KB limit there is really no reason to split it all up.

Good luck! I've got an idea for my own game too, time permitting of course!

32KB for a one screen game is lots of space, remember it IS a short game jam and the game complexity should reflect that...

Also I'll be making a game with a newborn here, so you guys have no excuses! ?

• Like 1

Not just some of us, I'd say every single game developer needs that :)

Glad to see u joining @42bs

@Igor You're right, if you deliver something with a newborn around, thete is no excuse for us. Let just jeep the concept simple! You forgot one extra essential rule though... no sokoban clone ;)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Also I'll be making a game with a newborn here, so you guys have no excuses! ?

You have a big advantage over us, your nights will be slightly shorter, and you will have an excuse to stay awake "Darling, I just stay here, in front of the computer, to be sure the baby is going well and that you can rest"

I will try to make something for the contest, but I have so much to do before 15th, and another deadline for another game for the end of the month.

First, I need to find an idea :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not good at designing game concepts, so took a well known game and changed it's mechanic a little, enough to have an original game experience (just like was done from tetris to colums). All the code and the ugly bitmaps will be from me. I hope this is considered fine.

What about previews? Since there is no real competition I think it could be fine to show screenshots of the games while they take shape.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

I'm not good at designing game concepts, so took a well known game and changed it's mechanic a little, enough to have an original game experience (just like was done from tetris to colums). All the code and the ugly bitmaps will be from me. I hope this is considered fine.

What about previews? Since there is no real competition I think it could be fine to show screenshots of the games while they take shape.

Ok with me. And blogging about the development in this thread sounds fun to me.

Just to keep to my style I just play a jazzy version of something on my piano. As I am aiming on a BLL loaded file I go with ABCmusic. It is most compact for me.

• Like 1