IGNORED

Sky Raider Redux preview for the Atari Lynx

Songbird

Going to release a series of videos to showcase all the work James has put into Sky Raider over a very, very long time... The wait is almost over, as this is lining up for a first-half 2021 release for Songbird. :)

First up is the new title loop with new music, improved graphics, and more!

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sky Raider is looking better and better!  River Raid is one of the 2600 titles I've put the most time into.  Does this have an EPROM save feature?  I noticed the "Continue" option way back when these videos were first posted, but I didn't think about it much until now.

• Like 1

Yes, Sky Raider Redux has an EEPROM save feature for high score and last bridge reached. So if you die, you can pick up your game where you left off, and only your score and pride are impacted. ;) We felt like this was a good balance between the classic "insta-death" gameplay and a modern nod to being able to play for either high score or high level.

Glad people are enjoying the new sprites! Both James and I have worked quite a bit to tweak the original sprites to give them better definition as well as create a number of brand-new sprites, primarily the multiple bosses. :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

That Sky Raider box is really well designed.  I love the wraparound artwork.  It will fit right in with the rest of the Lynx library, which in my totally biased opinion has a very high standard for box art.

This is an instabuy for me.  I love River Raid and this appears to be a nice take on it.  Thanks to all involved, including the artists.?

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words! The Sky Raider cover art was a joint effort. @PlaysWithWolves does nearly all of my Lynx box layouts, including the nice touches like the wrap-arounds and other color blending goodness. Believe it or not, the cover art started out like this:

image.png.6c9c09ac3b39d07bea807ae19818e8b8.png

I think it's safe to say the final cover is a big improvement! ;)

James and I also did a bunch of updates to the in-game artwork to spice up the game. If you compare the beta from 2019 versus the production version shown on my YouTube channel, you'll see lots of differences including enhanced river banks, 3D art style for all ground & river objects, banking biplane instead of fixed view, revamped bridges, inclusion of islands to split the river, better explosions... and boss fights. :D

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Thanks for the kind words! The Sky Raider cover art was a joint effort. @PlaysWithWolves does nearly all of my Lynx box layouts, including the nice touches like the wrap-arounds and other color blending goodness. Believe it or not, the cover art started out like this:

image.png.6c9c09ac3b39d07bea807ae19818e8b8.png

I think it's safe to say the final cover is a big improvement! ;)

James and I also did a bunch of updates to the in-game artwork to spice up the game. If you compare the beta from 2019 versus the production version shown on my YouTube channel, you'll see lots of differences including enhanced river banks, 3D art style for all ground & river objects, banking biplane instead of fixed view, revamped bridges, inclusion of islands to split the river, better explosions... and boss fights. :D

I love to see how artwork evolves. Would be nice if some of this could be included (space permitting and artists wanting to share) within the manual(s) of future releases.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...