IGNORED

Sky Raider Redux preview for the Atari Lynx

Songbird

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got Sky Raider today.  What a game!  I grew up with River Raid on the 2600, and I put lots of time into it back in the day.  But it's probably been 30+ years since I spent any amount of time with it.  I feel like this is a spot-on remake though.  It just feels right!  And I love the addition of bosses.  On that note, I'm glad your fuel doesn't deplete when you're fighting them...that would make for an extra headache!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

I got Sky Raider today.  What a game!  I grew up with River Raid on the 2600, and I put lots of time into it back in the day.  But it's probably been 30+ years since I spent any amount of time with it.  I feel like this is a spot-on remake though.  It just feels right!  And I love the addition of bosses.  On that note, I'm glad your fuel doesn't deplete when you're fighting them...that would make for an extra headache!

Awesome, glad you are enjoying it! We spent a LOT of time getting the bosses added to the game. I think it was worth it. :)

I ended up playing up to Level 21 last night, making liberal use of the progress-saving feature.  I'm a little ashamed at my credit-feeding, but I wanted to see as much of the game as I could for my first session with it. 

I'm a massive shmup fan.  I'm also terrible at shmups.  I think this one is going to be really tough to 1-credit-clear, mostly because you only get one life per credit. In general, I don't consider myself to have "beaten" a shmup unless it's a 1CC.  And that means my 1CC list is embarrassingly short.  ?

I noticed some generous design points - once I fired a shot toward the bridge at the end of a level, but I died before that shot hit the bridge.  The game counted it and let me start at the next level when I continued. 

Collision detection is very tight.  I never had a death that I felt was unfair.  However, it's common for shmups to feature a hitbox that is much smaller than the sprite outline, and I felt that would have made much of Sky Raider a little less frustrating, like parts where you are in a narrow canyon with an enemy ahead, and you can't get a shot in toward that enemy without crashing into the walls yourself.  I don't mean to say it's a frustrating game though.  It's really fun, and hard to put down.

Also, apparently the level designs and enemy layouts have a randomization element.  This makes every playthrough unique, but also makes it impossible to memorize the levels and plan routes.  This isn't a complaint at all!  It's just something interesting I noticed, and I wasn't expecting such a randomized design in a Lynx game.

I enjoyed the 90 minutes or so that I spent with Sky Raider last night, and I'm looking forward to playing more.  I really want to work on my 1CC progress - I think I've only made it to level 6 without continuing.  And it took me quite a few tries to beat the 3rd and 4th bosses.  Nice job on this one, fellas!

• Like 3

Love that review! Exactly the kind of feedback that spurs us hobby devs on to make more and more games. :)

You're correct, the level layout in Sky Raider Redux is procedurally generated which means no two games are the same. Only the bosses are identical in terms of frequency and behavior. Also the hitbox on your biplane can't get much smaller! It's already a tiny sprite. ;) 

James and I intentionally enabled different play styles for different gamer preferences. You can play for high score, you can play for best level, you can play on one life only and restart from the beginning, or you can continue where you left off. You can even push the boundary and see how far you can get past 21 since there are no saves after that! The game doesn't force you to only play one way.

We also put in a lot of detail on the audio/visual upgrades. Your plane has the spinning prop and the plane banks from left to right. Enemies and obstacles have more of a 3D look compared to the original demo. There is in-game music which alternates, plus a "death jingle" and "boss tune." Even some of the bosses have extra animation like the jet fighters banking left and right, jet exhaust animation, and of course the spinning blades on the helicopter. These small details might seem like simple improvements, but they take more time and effort than you might think and James deserves credit for everything he did to enhance the game. Hopefully Sky Raider Redux really provides a nice experience for the player. I know I certainly enjoyed playtesting all the boss fights! :D

• Like 3

My games are on their way. Just now held up by some delay.

Carl, Is something going on in your area? I never seen any notice like this on tracking. Is it storming or something there?

September 20, 2021, 2:57 pm
Processing Exception, Other Delay
Your shipment has potentially been delayed due to emergency or other conditions at 2:57 pm on September 20, 2021.

September 20, 2021, 2:42 pm
USPS in possession of item
ROCHESTER, MN 55901 

September 18, 2021, 9:03 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
ROCHESTER, MN 55901 

The quality of Wyverns Tale forced me to pick up Sky Raider too.  I just placed my order this morning.  I watched the videos of this and I am super impressed with the quality of the sprite work and detail.  I was on the fence just looking at screenshots but when I saw it in motion it was a whole new story.  Could not pass this one up.

• Like 1