IGNORED

German TT, where to start?

Randy

Got this one off ebay, and just replaced the German roms with US roms. which solves a lot of problems, however the icons are all in German and some are funky-looking (some German icon editor?).  Also, most of the programs are in German, including GST 1st Word+ and other programs, some which should be running in English I am guessing, also the .ACCs are in German, etc.  I guess I am looking to get as many as possible to run in English as well as save all of them onto a SD card for future unraveling.  Also, I would need to get a set of tools and needed .ACCs, etc. in English, is there a recommended list of utils and such that I should have on my TT HDD?  I am guessing it has the original 40 meg HD in it.  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Randy said:

Vielleicht, aber nicht so snell

?

Concerning the TT, unfortunately lots of ATari software don't have a multilanguage ressource that is automatically adapted to the hardware.

The best you can find is software with several RSC files and you just have to pick up yours, but some are German only, or french only.

What surprises me is that you have US Roms with german icons... The TT doesn't have a multilanguage TOS. With the US Roms everything shuld be in english on the desktop unless an alternate desktop is loaded from the hard disk 

Guillaume.

Was Sie Leute sprachen über Deutsche Ikonen ?

I mean, there are no German or whatever language icons. Only text by icons is in specific language. And that is stored in DESKTOP.INF and NEWDESK.INF files. So, just need to delete them, restart machine, set things, and then save Desktop - then it will be with English text by icons.

8 hours ago, moulinaie said:

?

Concerning the TT, unfortunately lots of ATari software don't have a multilanguage ressource that is automatically adapted to the hardware.

The best you can find is software with several RSC files and you just have to pick up yours, but some are German only, or french only.

What surprises me is that you have US Roms with german icons... The TT doesn't have a multilanguage TOS. With the US Roms everything shuld be in english on the desktop unless an alternate desktop is loaded from the hard disk 

Guillaume.

Thanks Guillaume, I am hoping I can find the US docs and .inf files for some/most of these programs on the HDD, there are many that look really interesting, the German owner was pretty involved with the TT from all appearances.  As Peter noted, it's probably the desktop.inf file that has the icons in German as well as what looks like custom icons the German owner made and placed on the desktop.  There is also some programs that, when launched, provides what looks to be an alternate desktop, but that may just be a running program.  Nevertheless, I want to archive all of this so that at some time I can access and use the programs on the HDD.

7 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Was Sie Leute sprachen über Deutsche Ikonen ?

I mean, there are no German or whatever language icons. Only text by icons is in specific language. And that is stored in DESKTOP.INF and NEWDESK.INF files. So, just need to delete them, restart machine, set things, and then save Desktop - then it will be with English text by icons.

Ya, mein Deutch ist nicht so gut!  Thanks Peter, I am working slowly on this machine so as not to lose anything, looks like some interesting programs and .accs on the TT.  One problem is on startup, the loaded startup files just fly on the screen, making it hard to see what is loaded upon startup.  I also have the problem of the video not coming on or going to black on occasion (black screen) so I am trying to find where that problem is.  I did find what looks to be some kind of coating on both the front and back side of the motherboard in the area around the memory chips over to the VME area that looks like maybe a spill, cleaning with IPA I get a brown residue like dried Coca Cola on the cotton buds, there is no corrosion on any of the chips, but I will thoroughly clean that area while I recap the motherboard.

2 hours ago, Randy said:

Ya, mein Deutch ist nicht so gut!  Thanks Peter, I am working slowly on this machine so as not to lose anything, looks like some interesting programs and .accs on the TT.  One problem is on startup, the loaded startup files just fly on the screen, making it hard to see what is loaded upon startup.  I also have the problem of the video not coming on or going to black on occasion (black screen) so I am trying to find where that problem is.  I did find what looks to be some kind of coating on both the front and back side of the motherboard in the area around the memory chips over to the VME area that looks like maybe a spill, cleaning with IPA I get a brown residue like dried Coca Cola on the cotton buds, there is no corrosion on any of the chips, but I will thoroughly clean that area while I recap the motherboard.

Does just what you might think it does... put it in when I was having a similar problem.  Might need one of those auto folder re-organizers.

PAUSE.PRX

No, this is to solve the problem of the loading startup files flying by so fast.  I ran into issues where I needed to know what one or two of those programs were reporting on the BBS machine so I wrote that and threw it in the auto folder at the right spot.  It pretty much is just a program that waits for a keypress.  I rename it to PRX when I don't care, and back to PRG when there is a problem and I need to see the output before it flies by.

26 minutes ago, Tillek said:

No, this is to solve the problem of the loading startup files flying by so fast.  I ran into issues where I needed to know what one or two of those programs were reporting on the BBS machine so I wrote that and threw it in the auto folder at the right spot.  It pretty much is just a program that waits for a keypress.  I rename it to PRX when I don't care, and back to PRG when there is a problem and I need to see the output before it flies by.

Thanks, that makes sense!