IGNORED

I accept defeat!

Omega-TI

I simply cannot keep up with the all the new developments with every project going on.  With work, family, chores and other projects, I cannot follow them all at the same time, let alone keep up with.  Today I found some time to "upgrade" one of my favorites, only to find that after the new version was installed, it seems nothing I have works with it.  Since I simply don't have the time to figure it all out or mess around with re-learning everything from scratch, or to re-configure everything, I admit defeat.  It's a hobby, not a chore, so with this in mind, for the first time in my life, I'm going back to the older version that "ALREADY WORKS FOR ME".  I should have paid attention to the old motto, "If it ain't broke, don't upgrade it!"  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not many of us have the time or patience for relearning or troubleshooting everything everytime a new version comes out. Give it a few moments, a trial run, and if it works great! If not just revert to what did. Or don't make any changes in the first place.

Pretty much tired of developers breaking things in the name of making changes for changes sake. Its becoming annoying to the point where I don't bother reporting bugs anymore. Especially when related to unnecessary "improvements" and "upgrades". Seems like they're put there on purpose - it happens so much.

More annoying is when a bit of software gets a new version because of a new toolset, library, compiler, or framework. The software itself may not have changes. And the dev may not be refactoring anything. But something always breaks or becomes incompatible or slows down. Every single goddamned time. It's both the dev's fault and the maker of the environment.

It's those sorts of issues I don't report beyond saying, "it doesn't work anymore." Duhhh I wonder why?!?! Too many times I've made detailed reports only to have been told, "..can't be fixed. New API has new requirements. It's a problem with the API library itself."

And that goes back to the publisher of the OS and environment. Pointless changes need to stop there. But that won't happen either. Because of need to make sales.

It's everywhere!

• Like 3

Yeah, along with the classic stuff this time, I also have to deal with MicroShaftTM as they did an "automatic update" sometime in the last month that effed up my printing ability.  I was able to print on both sides of the paper automatically to make manuals, after the update... nooooooo.  So now, when I can find the time, between everything else I need to do, I have to go in and remove every vestige of my printer driver and reinstall from scratch.  So I'll just have to live with it until sometime in January, so yes, it's everywhere.

• Like 1

This is one aspect that pisses me off working in IT.  I mean absolutely infuriates me to the point of contemplating homicide or vandalism. You would think a company like Microsoft would understand that a business life-cycle needs to be five years or longer to keep from having to re-train users, purchase new software, update polices and procedures, re-visiting regulatory compliance, &c. I understand the support life-cycle cannot last that long as the threat-scape against operating systems and software is so dynamic.  It is, however, with very little exception, possible to retain look-and-feel and functionality while making changes to the underlying system.  Every major Windows 10 "feature update" moves something around or breaks something like an important driver.  This confounds the user and the admin, alike, with the effect of reducing productivity and increasing support cost every time some relied upon function is moved or changed.

From the admin side, I am thrilled that so many .cpl applets still work, though I am not certain how long that will last.  I can still get to much of the tools I need to fix things using an .msc or a .cpl and that damned regedit.  Regular users, however, cannot.  Thank $_DIETY that PowerShell has become more powerful and useful.  (Yeah, I have some complaints about my Unix systems, but I do not have to support every-day users on those.)

Users develop workflows on how the software works, like clicking a report link on a web page and having the resultant HTML table open in Excel.  But one day Microsoft decides this functionality is a security risk and pushes out an update without any better notice to the user than a generic error.  Sure, Microsoft release notes ahead of updates, but what average office user reads those, has the ability to trawl through a technical writing which is not in the language of how they use things? (Supposedly you can limit updates to security-only, but even then Microsoft will stuff non-security bullshit into these, in bulk.) An Office update (which cannot be easily stopped) broke Outlook for hundreds of thousands of users a couple of months ago: users started their day to Outlook refusing to open and it took almost the entire work-day for a fix to be pushed out.  Absolute WTF moments and loss of productivity.

But this, my friends, is "software as a service."  Your product is no longer static and was never yours, anyway.  Hell, even Office installations with perpetual licensing is not immune to this update process.  Other vendors are guilty of this, too, including those who provide drivers.  Why in 2020 can I not get a video card with a driver working with Windows that does not shit the bed on simple 2D functions?  It is endemic to the software industry and not limited to just desktop/laptop and servers.  I am trying out phones to replace my soon-to-be-obsoleted phone (March of 2022,) and I hate every one I touch.  It is bad enough to carry an f-ing wiretap on my hip all f-ing day, but it spends more time spying on me than doing what I want it to do.

I f-ing hate the state of "modern technology." The technology is fine, it is the assholes who implement it and what they build from it which are the problem. Far too much time is spent in making things pretty rather than making it work.  A smart phone can send your location and activity data to a central server but cannot import your full contact list from a standard .vcf send via Bluetooth. You cannot even get just a simple phone that makes phone calls that does not run a smart phone operating system.  Seriously, if I ever came into a few million dollars I would invest in the re-birth of Java or Symbian "feature" phones.

The argument, "if you you think you can do better..." or "if you don't like it, do it yourself" are both garbage.  These type of retorts discount the likes, tastes, and needs of users and put them into a position where all they can do is speak positively about whatever shit sandwich is handed to them. I am not of the opinion that taking a bite of a shit sandwich may only elicit mass raves and five-star reviews.

I am literally seconds away from becoming a Luddite.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago when Windows 7 was popular I set up and oversaw the usage of laptops for the kids in the family. It was a non-starter after the first few weeks. There were simply too many interruptions with update requests. Half the times the updates would require multiple restarts. The other half would change how something worked (or didn't). Sometimes the machines would become unstable. Othertimes settings would change for no apparent reason. And shutdown could take half'n hour. This is wholly nonconducive to a basic utility computer.

Fast forward to today.

Set up a small form factor windows 10 system for the family room. First thing I did was kill all updates. Windows itself, installed software, and drivers. ESPECIALLY FOR PRINTER DRIVERS.

This system works totally fine. Doesn't crash. Does what's asked of it. Acts as a media station & server, video player, mp3 player, netflix & kodi box, tele-conference station, office computer, gaming platform, web browser, online e-commerce & shopping "terminal", and print station. And most important of all, it works the same way as it did yesterday. Thus negating the need to relearn and relearn minute details.

The only support I have to do is installing new software. So much easier addressing and fixing any problems that come up rather than babysitting and explaining away all the issues caused by arbitrary updates. Now that I think of it, very few issues arise - thanks to code that isn't constantly being re-written for no good reason.

People may scream "old man" doesn't like changes and has fun resisting progress just to be an asshole. That's not how it is. Having less updates and less changes results in a more stable system that has more uptime. And any little quirks (no need to make more) are learned by the user and the user works around them naturally.

All this gloom and doom about horrible things happening if you turn off updates is doom and gloom in and of itself. Nothing bad happens. Not interested in building the airplane while it's rolling down the runway.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

The primary factor to consider is exactly what you want your TI do do. Once you have decided that, you can decide on which bits of hardware/software that you want. Trying to always get the shiniest or brightest "bauble in the box" is not necessarily the best choice. By doing that, you run the risk of getting a piece of gear that is locked into an endless series of revisions and upgrades - many of which break something that worked well in a previous version. If you get your system working as you want it (and it does what you want), why screw things up by getting hardware/software that do nothing more than boost your ego of having "the latest and greatest" but not the most functional system.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

... "the latest and greatest" but not the most functional system.

Agreed!  Over the past few years the latest has been the greatest giving us many more capabilities... and I've loved second of it.  In this one instance though, I'm going to lock my software for it in place.

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm using 0.M of FC.

I recently deleted the 0.M from the thread. The only compatible issue I am aware of is the removal of 'CALL' command. Now just use the script name without the 'CALL' in front. Been that way since 1.0.

CALL DSK1.MYSCRIPT

is now just

DSK1.MYSCRIPT

The net is getting to be like that with sites for no reason at all refusing to serve you content!!  They won't even allow your 14 month old browser to TRY to see their pages.  Latest coming up is twitter which will stop serving any browser more than 12 months old shortly - you will be able to give a false browser version but javascript will be compulsory from 15/12/2020.

Atariage briefly became a problem with the new servers only serving browsers that used cypher suites based on elliptic curve- my system accepts the DH variants EXCEPT the EC ones. Atariage kindly amended their servers.  Latest is ti99iuc which briefly switched to EC only- many thanks to ciro (and his server admins) for very quickly amending the settings.  Shutting out the old cyphers does not in this case increase security (except for the highest security needs), and serves no need, shutting out visitors with older systems without cause.

There are zero microsoft or google services that I can use- especially google which is remarkably aggressive.  I lost wikipedia this year as they decided they would NOT serve their content to me- deliberate and very aggressive blocking based on my browser which they will not allow to TRY to see their content!

I have a working computer from 1980! and my PC is 22 years old.  Recently managed to upgrade the ram by 50%- to 384MB!!!    As a long term "green" person, throwing out technology JUST because it is old does not sit well with me.  Plus as stated above the reduced usability....   smart phones with their glass screens are NOT good for anyone with reducing eyesight.

I'll stick with the old stuff as long as I possibly can! But I'm not against new stuff, just enforced waste and change for changes sake.  

FinalGrom99 was an excellent piece of new technology- nothing needed throwing away, extra abilities, keep old system....    nice.s

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blackbox said:

The net is getting to be like that with sites for no reason at all refusing to serve you content!!

Yeah, there are places now that will not even let you connect if you are using a VPN.  That's fine by me, because places that want to deny me privacy are places I'd rather not go. 

• Like 1

I wonder though, is it really 'green' to keep an old computer running daily online tasks?  How much power does it use as opposed to a new computer?  How much longer does it take to display a page on a memory restricted system?  Is the extra required "on time" figured into the power usage calculations?  Depending on the task required, an older computer might actually be more of a power hog, especially if it's got an older CRT attached.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Keatah said:

Pretty much tired of developers breaking things in the name of making changes for changes sake. Its becoming annoying to the point where I don't bother reporting bugs anymore. Especially when related to unnecessary "improvements" and "upgrades". Seems like they're put there on purpose - it happens so much.

More annoying is when a bit of software gets a new version because of a new toolset, library, compiler, or framework. The software itself may not have changes. And the dev may not be refactoring anything. But something always breaks or becomes incompatible or slows down. Every single goddamned time. It's both the dev's fault and the maker of the environment.

Speaking as someone with an infosec background: this is why I am not a huge fan of devops and the CI/CD development methodology.  Releasing above all else has become the primary driver behind development in a large number of cases, and it has shoved aside a great many software development best practices.  QA is largely out the window (with the possible exception of full and/or point releases), and code review has had to move into the realm of being largely-automated in order to keep up with the pace of development.

I get it: there are times where fixes need to be pushed, and pushed fast.  But those should be the exceptions rather than the underlying development ethos.  It's just too easy for problems to slip by when there's no time to do anything but go from code to production in the shortest timespan possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi there Omega.

All good points!  I do have one CRT monitor in storage but failures led to the use of LED monitors in daily use- fairly low power and excellent power management.  I have a monitoring device which can tell me how much power each device uses- and surprisingly new powerful desk top computers use quite a bit more electricity than the older ones- even allowing for tasks taking just a tiny bit longer on old machines.

I must admit I was very surprised to see how much power a modern desk top uses- although modern stand by power is very acceptable. I always turn off at the mains when not in use. The difference in power usage over a day is tiny compared to wasting resources by scrapping, polluting landfill, using resources building a new PC etc etc.  Everything has its cost and it isn't always just energy, there are other aspects of the environment  (something that is often neglected).

Thinking about energy use is a very good thing, and the balance of decisions can be quite fine but I have an overwhelming urge not to scrap something that works (genuinely unwanted goods are recycled through charity shops)- defined perhaps by a childhood without running water, a tin bath filled from the village pump, and a diet of (tinned) rice pudding.   ah the good old days!!!

I foolishly bought a digital radio.  My 50 year old kitchen radio works fine and I can listen to radio stations! - but my digital radio, in perfect working order, is a curio as local transmitters are now DAB+ and the digital radio cannot be upgraded- it can't even see the DAB+ transmitters.

Take care - 2021 must be better...    s

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blackbox said:

The net is getting to be like that with sites for no reason at all refusing to serve you content!!  They won't even allow your 14 month old browser to TRY to see their pages.  Latest coming up is twitter which will stop serving any browser more than 12 months old shortly - you will be able to give a false browser version but javascript will be compulsory from 15/12/2020.

Atariage briefly became a problem with the new servers only serving browsers that used cypher suites based on elliptic curve- my system accepts the DH variants EXCEPT the EC ones. Atariage kindly amended their servers.  Latest is ti99iuc which briefly switched to EC only- many thanks to ciro (and his server admins) for very quickly amending the settings.  Shutting out the old cyphers does not in this case increase security (except for the highest security needs), and serves no need, shutting out visitors with older systems without cause.

There are zero microsoft or google services that I can use- especially google which is remarkably aggressive.  I lost wikipedia this year as they decided they would NOT serve their content to me- deliberate and very aggressive blocking based on my browser which they will not allow to TRY to see their content!

I have a working computer from 1980! and my PC is 22 years old.  Recently managed to upgrade the ram by 50%- to 384MB!!!    As a long term "green" person, throwing out technology JUST because it is old does not sit well with me.  Plus as stated above the reduced usability....   smart phones with their glass screens are NOT good for anyone with reducing eyesight.

I'll stick with the old stuff as long as I possibly can! But I'm not against new stuff, just enforced waste and change for changes sake.  

FinalGrom99 was an excellent piece of new technology- nothing needed throwing away, extra abilities, keep old system....    nice.s

Hmm, may having something to do with why nickjr.com wont finish loading on my computer recently. Basic page layout is there, but videos never appear.

I have to use cellular data on my phone to get them to play.

On 12/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I am trying out phones to replace my soon-to-be-obsoleted phone (March of 2022,) and I hate every one I touch.  It is bad enough to carry an f-ing wiretap on my hip all f-ing day, but it spends more time spying on me than doing what I want it to do.

I f-ing hate the state of "modern technology." The technology is fine, it is the assholes who implement it and what they build from it which are the problem.

It's all about surveillance capitalism now.

You'd probably like listening to Techtonic on WFMU:

https://www.wfmu.org/playlists/TD

On 12/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, OLD CS1 said:

You cannot even get just a simple phone that makes phone calls that does not run a smart phone operating system.  Seriously, if I ever came into a few million dollars I would invest in the re-birth of Java or Symbian "feature" phones.

https://www.thelightphone.com/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 9:32 AM, blackbox said:

Hi there Omega.

All good points!  I do have one CRT monitor in storage but failures led to the use of LED monitors in daily use- fairly low power and excellent power management.  I have a monitoring device which can tell me how much power each device uses- and surprisingly new powerful desk top computers use quite a bit more electricity than the older ones- even allowing for tasks taking just a tiny bit longer on old machines.

I must admit I was very surprised to see how much power a modern desk top uses- although modern stand by power is very acceptable. I always turn off at the mains when not in use. The difference in power usage over a day is tiny compared to wasting resources by scrapping, polluting landfill, using resources building a new PC etc etc.  Everything has its cost and it isn't always just energy, there are other aspects of the environment  (something that is often neglected).

Thinking about energy use is a very good thing, and the balance of decisions can be quite fine but I have an overwhelming urge not to scrap something that works (genuinely unwanted goods are recycled through charity shops)- defined perhaps by a childhood without running water, a tin bath filled from the village pump, and a diet of (tinned) rice pudding.   ah the good old days!!!

I foolishly bought a digital radio.  My 50 year old kitchen radio works fine and I can listen to radio stations! - but my digital radio, in perfect working order, is a curio as local transmitters are now DAB+ and the digital radio cannot be upgraded- it can't even see the DAB+ transmitters.

Take care - 2021 must be better...    s

Hi Blackbox.  
I admire your choices and thoughtfulness of the environment and reducing waste and needless energy use.  Here is an interesting article to read for those of us who wish to learn a little more about using older computers rather than continuously replacing perfectly good older ones due to software company’s often needless newer hardware demands:

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2020/12/how-and-why-i-stopped-buying-new-laptops.html

Any other ideas for those of us wishing to live a bit greener please do share!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use Linux. Been running Linux Mint for around four years now. It doesn't get in the way. Windows does. All the time. For older machines, there are still plenty of 32-bit Linux builds around that will give those old machine a new lease of life.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Willsy said:

I just use Linux. Been running Linux Mint for around four years now. It doesn't get in the way. Windows does. All the time. For older machines, there are still plenty of 32-bit Linux builds around that will give those old machine a new lease of life.

I have an old laptop that I paid a king's ransom for back in the day, today it's next to worthless as my cellphone has more memory and is faster, but I cannot help myself, I have 'issues' getting rid of my old laptops.  It originally ran Windows XP, but nothing wanted to work on it anymore, so I slapped Lubuntu on it and now it's only good for browsing AtariAge once in a blue moon.  Maybe 'someday' it'll be a dedicated TI emulator.

Lubuntu-Machine.thumb.jpg.6be0bc172ad436c375c6592f7433e88d.jpg

Edited by Omega-TI
  • Like 2