IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077

youxia

Been a long time in the making, but finally launching in 10 days. Anybody looking forward to it?

I'm actually not that huge a fan of CDPR & The Witcher, but there is no denying they make solid games. And this is one of the most biggest AAA releases on the calendar. Seeing as I've just got a new PC rig and jumped back into modern gaming (after several years of being strictly retro) I'm quite eager to try it out.

The thing that interests me most is the open world & first person combo, very happy they didn't go with 3rd person. It's my prefered kind of gameplay when it comes to these "big" games, even if most likely CDPR's take will be much more traditional and rigid, and not as dynamic/emergent as it is in Bethseda's games. Even so, it's probably safe to say it will still be a grand adventure with plenty of content to keep me  busy for quite some time.

What I'm not too keen on is the general art style of this game. I grew up, and fell in love with, the old school cyberpunk - the bleak gritty noir of Neuromancer and Blade Runner. Meanwhile, C2077 seems to be a totally (post) modern affair - it's all over-the-top technicolor hipster-punk, at least on the visual side. Hopefully the written part will be a bit more mature.

Also very curious about how it will handle itself in regard to performance. PC requirements seem rather low for this kind of next-gen, AAA affair (GTX 1660/Ryzen 3200 for 1080p?). It will be interesting to see how it plays out in reality.

I built up my new PC just over a year ago specifically for this game when it was supposed to launch back in March was it before it was delayed. I tried to play the first Witcher when it was released and just couldn't stay interested. I've never played any of their other games but this one looks to be right up my alley. Although to be honest, I couldn't stick with Skyrim either and Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 are the only other modern RPGish games I've stuck with and played through to the end in the modern era. 

So I have no idea if Cyberpunk will be a hit with me or not but I'm willing to give it a shot for sure.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, youxia said:

grew up, and fell in love with, the old school cyberpunk - the bleak gritty noir of Neuromancer and Blade Runner

I totally agree with this... sometimes we gotta take what we're given. It looks great, but a little to colorful for my tastes. I'm still dying to play it.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, Agamon said:

If I want to play a game that's bleak and full of grey, I'll turn on the PS2.

Fallout 3 on the 360 was this way for me, and It just didn't click for me. I enjoyed Fallout 4 much more, the only Fallout game I completed. Helps that Boston is somewhat local to me. Was fun scouting the area.  

You guys better don't try any of the Souls series then ;)

I don't mind "grey" games at all, as long as gameplay is sound and it  makes sense stylistically. On PS2 it was a hardware/palette limitation, though, if you think about games like Jak & Daxter...

Apparently there are massive patches already available for Cyberpunk. Never mind "day one", now you can get a patch before the actual game, s'funny.

I had a nice surprise yesterday, the Ryzen 5600x I had preordered and was told will get only "somewhere in the early 2021", due to shortages, got delivered out of the blue. So I had to quickly buy a new motherboard too, because otherwise I'd have to wait for  the BIOS update for this Ryzen until January. Oh, the joys of trying to keep up with pcmasterrace...

2 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

It looks like the game is getting a lot of "it's full of bugs and glitches, but the immersion is great. 10/10" reviews (i. e. if it wasn't called Cyberpunk 2077, it would get an 8.5).

It's a open world game. That's not surprising.

Then again, apparently Skyrim was full of bugs and glitches, but I don't remember anything much from my 400 hours of play.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but I understand there are no major games released without glitches.  So even though I'll be getting the game for Xmas, I'd rather wait and start it later while I continue working on my backlog.  Cyberpunk 2077 will likely be the last game I play on PS4 next year before upgrading to a PS5.

Got a little over an hour in yesterday, char creation and tutorial, mostly.  So far, driving is terrible, stealth feels a bit janky, both melee and ranged combat are fun, hacking is a bit confusing, the story seems interesting (playing Nomad lifestyle), the game is very pretty, no bugs encountered yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agamon said:

Got a little over an hour in yesterday, char creation and tutorial, mostly.  So far, driving is terrible, stealth feels a bit janky, both melee and ranged combat are fun, hacking is a bit confusing, the story seems interesting (playing Nomad lifestyle), the game is very pretty, no bugs encountered yet.

I went Nomad too. Just finishing the combat/hacking tutorials. 

A few hours deep in. Not sure what to say. There is some annoying stuff, glimpses of greatness (carrying this girl outside from ice bath was a next gen moment) and a lot to take in. Need to go back and play some more...

One thing is sure though: ray tracing slaughters framerates even in 1080p on my rather powerful rig (Ryzen 5600x + RTX 3070). Ouch.

Played some more. My rating went from 8.5 to 9.5. Mainly thanks to gfx, which is simply sensational (I managed to get RT framerates under control, staying over 60 fps most of the time now). And the fact that while it's a bit early to tell, it looks like the gameplay is a mix of Watchdogs 1 and Deus Ex, ie lots of stuff to do outside main story, plus you can utilise different approaches, which is a great thing.

Had also a first serious bug. Was supposed to threaten some lady cop so she'd skip town, but our chat turned sour and guns were drawn. She was tougher than me so I ran away. She didn't chase me thou, just got back to her pre-mission position in her flat, and when I came back she was fixed there and did not defend herself. That's pretty bad, but I expect such stuff should be ironed out in a patch or two. Apart from that just had a couple of little gfx glitches. I feel sorry for reviewers/gamers who can dismiss such an interesting title because of some absolutely normal tech growing pains.