IGNORED

Cyberpunk 2077

youxia

Played the opening scene last night for the street kid on the PS4. Definitely understanding the hype a little better, it's been one big rush so far, and knowing there's an open world about to show up makes it quite exciting to keep on playing.

Great atmosphere and musical score. The number of glitches I've seen in combat were a little annoying (eg. some combatant popping up right next to me), but with the overall immersion so far, I can't be bothered for some reason. Looking forward to play some more soon!

• Like 1

I'm also looking forward to Day 2 in the Night City this eve. It's nice to be excited about a game again...been a long time.

Some random things:

-let's say it: penis. It's got to be the first in gaming, eh? The option to "increase size" is a bit surreal. WTF? I mean, what's the point of it? Don't tell me it matters later in the game somewhere :D Is it the good ol' CD Broject Red, of the sexcards infamy, striking again? (also, I'm not sure I want to know what the ladies' options are in this regard...)

-one good thing about future: there are no annoying peopel glued to annoying smartphones! Hotpants seem de rigeur thou...

-for a time  I seriously thought there is a big midget* population in the NC and wondered what's up with that. Now I suspect these are just future version of stret urchins, though they do look a bit overdone.

*disclaimer: this word has been used as a non-pejorative

So I did get it working and had a few days on it. I have to admit other than some missing hair in the mirror I've not actually experienced much in the way of bugs. I've wondered if there is a couple of minor quest completion/trigger glitches, but other than that it's been fine for me (PC, ultra settings on a laptop 2070 RTX) haven't had anything that other people have been having.

Clothes take a second to load sometimes, so you get the occasional nakedness while you wait lol. 

It seems that the PS4 and Xbox One versions have the added "feature" of the poor performance, but the poor AI and technical bugs appear in the PC version too:

NPC cars are following set paths. If you park your vehicle in front of them they just stop there. Not like in GTA where they can honk at you, move around it or even run through your car. There's no AI in the open world vehicles. They just follow predetermined paths. And this leads to another issue, police chases.

Police chases in this game are an absolute joke. At first i thought they were simplified because CDPR didn't want them to be too annoying. But you think back at the the npc cars' behaviour and how basic it is, and you see that the same thing is happening here. Police just spawns behind you, they can't even do proper chases. They can't chase you if you're a block or two away from them. It's like they're just glued to you when they spawn initially. Which leads to these dumb 10 second police chases. How is this called a next gen open world?

Cars also move like they are following rails if you look closely at how they turn. There are races in the game and if you lead the race, look behind you and you'll see some serious Matrix shit as the cars start teleporting behind you to keep up with you.

NPCs just spawn in and out randomly without order or meaning. CDPR said they handcrated over 1000s NPCs with different behaviour and daily routines. But then you follow any random NPC and they just disappear after a while. Cars also feel the same.

Has anyone noticed this? More here.

Played this morning and went to play this afternoon and there's another update for the XBox.  From what I played, it's amazing.  I'll be going back to it later this afternoon to play some more.  I'm excited to see what happens next and to do some exploration.  It was worth the delays etc as CDPR has knocked this out of the park.

The only police chase I've had so far was because I insist on driving in first person mode despite never driving a car in real life, and some cars you literally can't see over the steering wheel. I knocked over a pedestrian by accident and an officer happened to spot me. I went around under the highway slip road for a bit until the alert ended. I half intended to stop check on the person and accept a fine, but I don't think that's how it works and they just started shooting at me instantly. 

I'll pick it up the week between Christmas and New Years as I have that week off from work. I hear it runs decent on the Xbox One X, that's the system I own. 

The comparisons to GTA5 seem silly to me, I didn't make it past the 2min mark in that video. Maybe my opinion will change once I play it.

Really sad to hear all the negativity about the game, I managed to get all the way to the start game selection without reading anything about the game and barely seeing any video or even picture footage of the game. It reminds me a lot of original Dues Ex. Yes, some of the world filling is a bit non-descriptive, but its there to distract you while you go from A to B. The dialogue of characters, the combat - this is what you play the game for, not whether pedestrians and cars are sentient.

Idk what people expect from open world games anymore. For what I've played so far on the PS4 (which is review-bombed right now), I'm genuinely amazed by the overall quality of everything, even though some of the glitches are just silly and performance issues are apparent.

I thought GTA 5 was boring and had a static world filled with mini games. The only way for me to play such a game is to only focus on the main quest, and definitely not spend any time analyzing some of the lesser things in the game like low-res textures, faulty shading or lame sidequests. Any time spent other than the main quest means I will less likely ever finish the game.

According to statistics on trophies for the PS4, most of these open world games are rarely finished by the player.. makes me wonder if the people complaining the most are ever to finish these types of games in the first place.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, Mikebloke said:

Really sad to hear all the negativity about the game

It's just how it is these days, thanks to the internet. People, like our man IntelliMission here, will start shouting about just anything which is slightly "controversial" and can yield a like or retweet. Not only in gaming, but in all other walks of life too. And once such hysteria/hate snowball is in motion there is no stopping it and it spreads like a virus, triggering confirmation biases in other people.

The instances of this in gaming depress me, because they usually target games/devs which try to do something new and outside of standard template. As a lifelong Bethesda fan I'm well used to this kind of noise (thankfully, they don't care and just do their thing), but it was the same with No Man's Sky, for example, whose devs  luckily also did not call it quits, and carried on. But others are watching, and I'm quite sure that these hate campaigns do affect negatively the willingness for risk taking in the industry.

It's not only lame but hypocritical. Anybody with passing interest and some perspective is well aware about how difficult it is to develop a huge and complex modern game, so bitching about some inevitable bugs, especially in a new IP, is really childish. But funnily enough, this seems to be a selective process. There were no such campaigns for PC gaming darlings such as The Outer Worlds, Control, or Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I'm playing them now, long after the release dates, and they still have bugs - never mind what was going on at launch.

This is not to say there shouldn't be any criticism, of course, but what goes on now with C2077 (The Guardian just gave it 6/10) is far from a reasonable reaction. I've been playing it some more and, for sure, there are gameplay/design flaws. But again, it's completely normal in a new IP. It's funny how nobody seems to remember what the likes of  Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, or even GTA looked and played like in their first iterations, and how long did it take them to mature.

In C2077 I'm a bit disappointed in the main mission design - they seem a bit too story driven and thus rigid and linear. But, it's still early on, so hopefully it will improve. I also hope I will be allowed to attempt them alone (wink wink spoiler alert ) from now on - I'm just fresh in the Act 2. Driving is functional, if a bit pointless, but that's more to do with city street design. Police/crime could be much more developed, the city more reactive/random, mission approach more freeform. Keanu character is (predictably) a bit irritating, though that's not gameplay related. But overall, all these things are on par for a first release in (hopefully) new series.

And aside from these complaints, this game is in no way a 'broken, janky mess" - a favourite phrase of soc-med whiners. I would still give it at least 91/100. Wandering around the city and taking on random gang situations is great fun. The gfx is beyond belief, and I make no apologies for playing on a beefy PC. Some of the main mission moments and braindance sessions are also electrifyingly next gen. And it can only get better with updates. So, up yours, boo-people ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youxia said:

It's not only lame but hypocritical. Anybody with passing interest and some perspective is well aware about how difficult it is to develop a huge and complex modern game, so bitching about some inevitable bugs, especially in a new IP, is really childish. But funnily enough, this seems to be a selective process. There were no such campaigns for PC gaming darlings such as The Outer Worlds, Control, or Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I'm playing them now, long after the release dates, and they still have bugs - never mind what was going on at launch.

I cannot imagine what the devs must feel after years of development, crunch time and then seeing the internet react. I do hope they also understand that most noise comes from a small group of gamers, and that the majority most likely will enjoy the game to its full extend.

I've been enjoying Outer Worlds on the Switch a lot, and anyone will agree that the graphics took a huge hit with this port. I still see it as a magnificent achievement to make the full game work on the Switch, the actual gameplay is completely intact. I was expecting a similar hit on the graphics for Cyberpunk on the PS4 Pro even, I mean just take one look at the trailers, there is NO WAY you can expect those graphics to show up on a PS4 Pro. Devs are not magicians.

What does suck however, and I do hope this will change in the future, is that by only showcasing the ultra settings to everybody, the company or whoever was in charge of that creates a skewed idea about the final product. I happen to be into all kinds of development myself, so its easy for me to understand that there is a tradeoff between polygons, texture resolution, shading algorithms, drawing distance, etc. and create a normal expectation for myself. You cannot expect the same mindset from your average customer, so it does feel a bit like deceiving to market the game as such and I'd say some of those complaints are rightfully so.. its their own marketing that did this to them.

I've seen so many "botched launches" that get the internet gaming mob picking up their pitchforks going after the developers.   Ultimately the developer fixes the issues, and those same gamers say "wow, it's the greatest turnaround in gaming history!"

No Man's Sky comes to mind,  so does Driveclub.   Battlefront 2.  

I'm not particularly worried about this one.   Witcher 3 had bad performance on consoles when it first launched,  but many patches later it performs fine.