IGNORED

CollectorVision Experience Club 2021

retroillucid

On 1/26/2021 at 8:32 AM, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

My bad.. I didn't realize the NES version of Sydney Hunter - Caverns of Death is still a WIP.. Just saw Tony's latest video. ??‍♂️

There goes that idea. ?

Yep sorry, been a fair slog getting past a few technical limitations, but it's definitely getting close now :) 

• Like 2

I thought it may be useful to summarise the additions to the club ROM vault this year - well the ColecoVision ones that is.  There are a lot of superb games in there and some very pleasant surprises.  However, on a small negative note there some roms whose inclusion in the vault is somewhat questionable as they've already been in the public domain for years.

• L'Abbaye des Morts
  • Armageddon (Roller Controller Edition)
  • CollectorVision Club Secret Game 2019
  • Dead Tomb
  • Eggerland
  • Energy Quiz
  • Fireman
  • Galaxian
  • Jawbreaker 2
  • Lock'n Chase (Black Label Edition)
  • Lunar Leeper
  • Nether Dungeon (Sydney Hunter Hack)
  • Saguaro City
  • Slither SCE
  • Turbo SCE
  • Winky Trap (MT Hack)
  • Zombie Near (SGM/Enhanced Edition)

Here are my thoughts and observations on some of notable additions:

Armageddon Roller Controller Edition

Now this is a nice surprise as the cart release of the game doesn't support the Roller Controller.

Dead Tomb

Currently, this does not work in emulators as they lack F18A emulation.  This can be played using an AtariMax Ultimate SD in an F18A modded ColecoVision as well as the Phoenix.  Superb addition to the vault.

Eggerland

This is the patched version of the game that fixes the password entry bug.  Nice.

Fireman

Strange to see this here as this game has never been published by CollectorVision.  This is the rom of the prototype that has long been available in the public domain.

Galaxian

The CollectorVision cart and ROM file have 3 bytes different to my verified dump of the AtariSoft cart.  Not sure why and hoping CollectorVision can comment on this. 

Lock'n Chase - Black Label Edition

Now this is a superb addition and another nice surprise.  The Black Label edition has a different game selection screen which now includes a Black Label version of the game.  What are the differences between this and the other game modes?  Was this ever sold in cart form?  I need to know ?

Nether Dungeon (Sydney Hunter Hack)

Wow - yet another huge surprise.  This is a "hack" of Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe.  Obvious changes are that there is now a standard CV title screen and the intro story has been omitted.  Also, the head of the main character sprite has been completely changed and the colour of the background graphics have been changed from dark blue to light grey.  I also noticed that the other references to the Sydney Hunter storyline have been removed from the words spoken to you by the characters that you meet.  What other differences are there I wonder......

While this hacked game is called Nether Dungeon, it doesn't appear to have any relation to the Nether Dungeon cart recently published by Team Pixelboy.  In fact this CollectorVision hack seems to have been completed and named nearly 4 years ago.  Interesting!!

Looking in the binary this hack appears to have been done by nanochess, the original programmer of the Sydney Hunter game, relatively soon (May 2017) after completing the original game and to a specification defined by CollectorVision.  So, what's the story behind this "hack"?  I'm very intrigued by this.

Slither and Turbo Victory - Standard controller Editions

Surprised these in here as they are public domain hacks created by Amy Bienvenu back in 2010.

Winky Trap

Again, another odd one.  This is the public domain rom hack created by John Dondzila back in 1997.  Although JF did sell a very limited number of carts containing this hack it still makes this a curious addition to the CollectorVision rom vault.

Zombie Near SGM Edition

Another curious inclusion as this is the same rom that is freely available bundled with the CoolCV emulator.

So there are my observations.  Another set of great additions to the vault including a number of roms I had no idea existed which makes me delighted.

Edited by Ikrananka
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

Fireman

Strange to see this here as this game has never been published by CollectorVision.  This is the rom of the prototype that has long been available in the public domain.

Reason being we've acquired this prototype, hence why it was added

Nether Dungeon (Sydney Hunter Hack)

Wow - yet another huge surprise.  This is a "hack" of Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe.  Obvious changes are that there is now a standard CV title screen and the intro story has been omitted.  Also, the head of the main character sprite has been completely changed and the colour of the background graphics have been changed from dark blue to light grey.  I also noticed that the other references to the Sydney Hunter storyline have been removed from the words spoken to you by the characters that you meet.  What other differences are there I wonder......

While this hacked game is called Nether Dungeon, it doesn't appear to have any relation to the Nether Dungeon cart recently published by Team Pixelboy.  In fact this CollectorVision hack seems to have been completed and named nearly 4 years ago.  Interesting!!

Looking in the binary this hack appears to have been done by nanochess, the original programmer of the Sydney Hunter game, relatively soon (May 2017) after completing the original game and to a specification defined by CollectorVision.  So, what's the story behind this "hack"?  I'm very intrigued by this.

We were supposed to do the ''game'' for Nether Dungeon movie
For some reason, we were left in the dark...

So I can't give you much more details than this

Winky Trap

Again, another odd one.  This is the public domain rom hack created by John Dondzila back in 1997.  Although JF did sell a very limited number of carts containing this hack it still makes this a curious addition to the CollectorVision rom vault.

No, this hack was made by myself  
My intials are in the game, in the middle of the board (warp area)

7 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

No, this hack was made by myself  
My intials are in the game, in the middle of the board (warp area)

Well that's unfair on you as there are so many copies of this around on the internet that have John Dondzilla's in the file name and not yours.  I also had a look at your entry on ColecoVision.dk (http://www.colecovision.dk/francois.htm) and there it says "Some (Maybe John Dondzila.) had in 1997 taken Winky from the Venture, and replaced it with the Mouse in Mouse trap.  All other characters was changed and taken from the game Venture.".  So, did John change the mouse to Winky and you did everything else?

9 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Reason being we've acquired this prototype, hence why it was added

We were supposed to do the ''game'' for Nether Dungeon movie
For some reason, we were left in the dark...

So I can't give you much more details than this

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Ikrananka said:

Well that's unfair on you as there are so many copies of this around on the internet that have John Dondzilla's in the file name and not yours.  I also had a look at your entry on ColecoVision.dk (http://www.colecovision.dk/francois.htm) and there it says "Some (Maybe John Dondzila.) had in 1997 taken Winky from the Venture, and replaced it with the Mouse in Mouse trap.  All other characters was changed and taken from the game Venture.".  So, did John change the mouse to Winky and you did everything else?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

John Dondzilla has nothing to do with Winky Trap 
I think people confused our initials (JD and JFD) 

Here's the little story behind the game... 

In 1996, I was already in touch with NewColeco 
I download the newcoleco tools ''voirrom'' and hacked Mouse Trap using the Venture characters (Hence Winky Trap) 

In 2007, I made 5-10 CIB copies (can't remember) and sold them off ebay 
I took the profits and founded CollectorVision 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Swami said:

This is what I got in gmail. It showed up in my promotions tab.

image.thumb.png.5d4da1e889a84036441958dfa18d0b9b.png

Still nothing...a search for "Welcome to the CollectorVision Experience Club" led to last years (e.g. Jan 26, 2020) Invitation.

Please resubmit the email. -Thanks.

Edited by sramirez2008
Last Years Invite Email only.

17 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Dead Tomb

Currently, this does not work in emulators as they lack F18A emulation.  This can be played using an AtariMax Ultimate SD in an F18A modded ColecoVision as well as the Phoenix.  Superb addition to the vault.

I thought you posted in the Dead Tomb thread that the cart did not work in your F18A console and only your Phoenix? So how could the ROM work in a flash cart on a F18A console?

edit:

Thanks for the breakdown on the roms, BTW

Edited by nick3092
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

I thought you posted in the Dead Tomb thread that the cart did not work in your F18A console and only your Phoenix? So how could the ROM work in a flash cart on a F18A console?

edit:

Thanks for the breakdown on the roms, BTW

There just seem to be some megacarts that don't work well with some CVs.  No idea why.  For example, I recently discovered that Bomber King carts will not work in an F18A modded CV but will in a vanilla one.

Yes, that's correct, my Dead Tomb cart does not work in my F18A modded CV.  But the rom does work in the same CV via the AtariMax Ultimate.  Go figure.  Some strange hardware/firmware bug thing I guess.  Not a problem from my perspective, just an interesting observation.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, retroillucid said:

John Dondzilla has nothing to do with Winky Trap 
I think people confused our initials (JD and JFD) 

Here's the little story behind the game... 

In 1996, I was already in touch with NewColeco 
I download the newcoleco tools ''voirrom'' and hacked Mouse Trap using the Venture characters (Hence Winky Trap) 

In 2007, I made 5-10 CIB copies (can't remember) and sold them off ebay 
I took the profits and founded CollectorVision 

Thanks J-F, I'm sure you're right about the confusion with the initials.  I'll make sure I correct any Winky Trap roms I have accordingly.  Quite a cool story of how you got CollectorVision started - something we've all benefitted greatly from ?

6 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Yes, that's correct, my Dead Tomb cart does not work in my F18A modded CV.  But the rom does work in the same CV via the AtariMax Ultimate.  Go figure.  Some strange hardware/firmware bug thing I guess.  Not a problem from my perspective, just an interesting observation.

I think the AtariMax  clear the RAM of the CV. And you start a game from the AtariMax , the ram is already cleared.    But when you start the Original Cart Directly , the state of the CV RAM is kind of random.  It could be that make fail the game on vanilla CV.   I guess on the Phoenix , the RAM at start is also initialized or cleared. It is why it works.

The game code somewhere ,i think, expect the ram is cleared.

Just a guess.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Still nothing...a search for "Welcome to the CollectorVision Experience Club" led to last years (e.g. Jan 26, 2020) Invitation.

Still haven't heard back concerning my access to the 2021 ROM Vault. The last email correspondence I received was on Jan 23rd, when Toby responded to my request concerning possibly swapping the SNES game for another (since I don't own a SNES). His email didn't have a problem reaching me that day, however, this is the last email I've received from anyone at CollectorVision. Can someone please respond? You could just send me a LINK via PM here on AtariAge. Honestly, it shouldn't be this difficult to get someone to respond and please don't ask me to check my Spam/Trash folders again. I know how to do that and that's not the issue. 

41 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Still haven't heard back concerning my access to the 2021 ROM Vault. The last email correspondence I received was on Jan 23rd, when Toby responded to my request concerning possibly swapping the SNES game for another (since I don't own a SNES). His email didn't have a problem reaching me that day, however, this is the last email I've received from anyone at CollectorVision. Can someone please respond? You could just send me a LINK via PM here on AtariAge. Honestly, it shouldn't be this difficult to get someone to respond and please don't ask me to check my Spam/Trash folders again. I know how to do that and that's not the issue. 

I'll contact Toby 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I found the email in my "All Mail" folder.

Edited by funcool