IGNORED

CollectorVision Experience Club 2021

retroillucid

13 hours ago, Tursi said:

The biggest reason for F18A garbage at startup on the ColecoVision is the short reset time -- if it's that, pressing the reset button should start the software clean, and that's the giveaway. Software that bypasses the BIOS delay needs to compensate by waiting a short time before initializing the VDP (it's usually enough to do other init first, but I have a short delay in my own crt). It's also possible to mod the reset circuit in the hardware for a longer delay.

But start by seeing if that's the problem by pressing reset. :)

Pressing reset makes no difference, the screen always returns to a green border with garbled characters in the active screen area.

To follow up on my last post, I dumped the game to a rom image, loaded it via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and it plays perfectly on my Adam.

to expand further on the issue when played from the actual cart on the Adam... seems to only happen when I press and hold the fire button down from the very beginning of the first level all the way to the magic spot on the screen towards the top/middle. Again, I have additional hardware in my Adam setup which I haven’t had time to remove to test further.

BTW, it’s an awesome game!

Edited by NIAD
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NIAD said:

To follow up on my last post, I dumped the game to a rom image, loaded it via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart and it plays perfectly on my Adam.

Thought about doing that. I will do this today if time permits. Of course, your issue was different than mine and Ikrananka’s. I’m curious to see if this works however.

5 minutes ago, phattyboombatty said:

Thought about doing that. I will do this today if time permits. Of course, your issue was different than mine and Ikrananka’s. I’m curious to see if this works however.

@phattyboombatty Did you try resetting your CV with the original cart?  Did you replace the original 1uF capacitor at C3 with a 10uF capacitor when you installed your F18A? 

BTW - the rom of the game works fine with my AtariMax and my F18A modded CV.  It's just the original cart that has the issue.

Edited by Ikrananka

35 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

@phattyboombatty Did you try resetting your CV with the original cart?  Did you replace the original 1uF capacitor at C3 with a 10uF capacitor when you installed your F18A? 

BTW - the rom of the game works fine with my AtariMax and my F18A modded CV.  It's just the original cart that has the issue.

Yes, I pressed reset many times, interspersed with reseating the cartridge. I have no capacitor mod at C3. Never knew about this particular mod until now. 

Good to know that it works with the AtariMax!

50 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Would that suggest a possible issue with how RAM might/might not be cleared/zeroed out by the AtariMax versus the actual cartridge?

1 hour ago, phattyboombatty said:

Yes, I pressed reset many times, interspersed with reseating the cartridge. I have no capacitor mod at C3. Never knew about this particular mod until now. 

That's really useful to know.  Mine has the 10uF C3 mod so this confirms that the fault seems to be independent of that (unless 10uF is still not large enough for this game).

51 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Would that suggest a possible issue with how RAM might/might not be cleared/zeroed out by the AtariMax versus the actual cartridge?

No idea, well beyond my knowledge.  But it would be good to know what the root cause of this is as this kind of thing keeps happening with new games.

22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yes! I'd love to see the look on everyone's faces as they open their package. You're gonna love the games.

Gonna Love it!.jpg

You cannot guarantee that.  What is guaranteed is that anybody who, for many valid reasons did not join the club, will always wonder what they've missed out on and are denied the opportunity to purchase the games separately.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

You cannot guarantee that.  What is guaranteed is that anybody who, for many valid reasons did not join the club, will always wonder what they've missed out on and are denied the opportunity to purchase the games separately.  

Everybody had a chance to subscribe 
The games has been created exclusively to the members 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Yep, seems to be an F18A problem with certain megacarts.  The cart works in my stock CV but I get the same garbled graphics that you get in my F18A modded CV.  No SGM installed so that's not the problem.  Works fine on the Phoenix.

I do wish these carts would be tested on real F18A systems so that the problem can be identified and fixed.  This seems to be an ongoing problem for a number of different megacarts and F18A systems.

Still work fine on a stock ColecoVision and the Phoenix
But still, you're saying the problem is the cart, maybe it's your modded system that cause a problem?

34 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Still work fine on a stock ColecoVision and the Phoenix
But still, you're saying the problem is the cart, maybe it's your modded system that cause a problem?

phattyboombatty experiences the same problem on his F18A modded CV so it's not exclusive to my modded system.  Also, afaik megacarts are the only ones that appear to exhibit this behaviour.  Other carts, including problematic games such as Penguin Adventure and Risky Rick, work perfectly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

phattyboombatty experiences the same problem on his F18A modded CV so it's not exclusive to my modded system.  Also, afaik megacarts are the only ones that appear to exhibit this behaviour.  Other carts, including problematic games such as Penguin Adventure and Risky Rick, work perfectly.

What I meant to say is, maybe there's a conflict with the F18A mod, wich mean the problem would be from the F18A pcb itself

Hey, I'm not too much of a technical guy, I'm just throwing my thoughts on it,
so take it with a grain of salt ;)

42 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Everybody had a chance to subscribe 
The games has been created exclusively to the members 

I know everyone had a chance.  I never said they didn't.  I said people chose NOT to join for various valid reasons.  And by doing so, they are not just denied exclusive game content but the ENTIRE game.  It's just the extreme nature of the exclusion to non members that is galling.  I just hate the thought of potentially missing out on the next Sydney game or Mr Do!'s Wild Ride because it's been made exclusive to members.  On the flip side, I don't want to spend that much money on a membership that includes things I have no interest in (the ROM pack is not for me) or mystery games I may have the hassle of selling on if I don't want them.  Collectorvision are creating an annoying dilemma with this membership package.

23 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I know everyone had a chance.  I never said they didn't.  I said people chose NOT to join for various valid reasons.  And by doing so, they are not just denied exclusive game content but the ENTIRE game.  It's just the extreme nature of the exclusion to non members that is galling.  I just hate the thought of potentially missing out on the next Sydney game or Mr Do!'s Wild Ride because it's been made exclusive to members.  On the flip side, I don't want to spend that much money on a membership that includes things I have no interest in (the ROM pack is not for me) or mystery games I may have the hassle of selling on if I don't want them.  Collectorvision are creating an annoying dilemma with this membership package.

I can understand your point

Those exclusive games are made as our way to thanks the members who are supporting the Club 
Of course you're going to miss the opportunity to own those games if you're not a member

Besides, you're not paying much more than our regular releases to enter the Club, but I can understand the time window might not be ideal for some (Xmast time) but for next years, we're going to start subscriptions in early November and will probably ends in February, so everyone has a real chance to enter the Club. 

The first year's club was so so, I will admit it.
But since the 2nd year, I think every members could tell you how awesome the games are

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

What I meant to say is, maybe there's a conflict with the F18A mod, wich mean the problem would be from the F18A pcb itself

Hey, I'm not too much of a technical guy, I'm just throwing my thoughts on it,
so take it with a grain of salt ;)

No worries, I misunderstood.  It's just frustrating not knowing where the problem lies.  I too am not a technical guy in this area so take what I say with a grain of salt as well ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I know everyone had a chance.  I never said they didn't.  I said people chose NOT to join for various valid reasons.  And by doing so, they are not just denied exclusive game content but the ENTIRE game.  It's just the extreme nature of the exclusion to non members that is galling.  I just hate the thought of potentially missing out on the next (redacted) game or (redacted) because it's been made exclusive to members.  On the flip side, I don't want to spend that much money on a membership that includes things I have no interest in (the ROM pack is not for me) or mystery games I may have the hassle of selling on if I don't want them.  Collectorvision are creating an annoying dilemma with this membership package.

Was asked to delete the names of the games I mention. Only it's too late.  I thought I'd pressed "edit", not "quote".  There is no "edit", I'm too late plus someone else has quoted me anyway.  I won't say why I was asked to delete them.  I'll leave that to you to guess.  Hmmm.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
Request

Happier than I was as a kid at Christmas in 1982!

I love one game very much; the other, to me is not my cup of tea (but I *loved* its "prequel"). I played that first special game for dozens, probably hundreds of hours on my Atari 2600! I couldn't be happier with it!

How would I go about selling the special game I'm not that fond of to another member here who didn't get in on the 2021 club? Still unopened, of course. Is it permitted?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

I confirm that the dumped rom is working perfectly on my AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. :) 

Does the dumped rom work in ColeEM?  Reason why I ask is that I dumped it, tried it out and the screen is corrupted.   I have yet to try the game on original hardware (That I have to dig out of my attic) -- the dump of the (yellow label game) worked just fine.

Edited by OriginalJohn

4 minutes ago, OriginalJohn said:

Does the dumped rom work in ColeEM?

Have not tried. It loaded to the first title screen on CoolCV but my input configuration for this emulator is screwed up and didn’t have time to look into fixing it... so only played the dump on real hardware.