IGNORED

CollectorVision Experience Club 2021

retroillucid

50 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

really schoolyard bullying?  That’s actually offensive to anyone who has suffered it.  Who is being hurt?  You don’t have to join, just move on and let others enjoy.

also, for the price you get a boat load of roms, so there is that.

the club isn’t much different than buying a mystery box, or many other things that you don’t know what you are getting till you purchase and receive the item.

also, i believe that collectorvision will help you sell the game if you aren’t happy. i’m might be making that up, but usually some one in the forums will buy. and you still get the roms and entry into the contest.

i don’t like using the word, but you are sounding a little entitled.

this is why we can’t have nice things

Entitled?  Me?  Not sure you quite understand the meaning of the word.  It is my dislike of the exclusive privilege  and special treatment the membership gives.  I'm not demanding privileges myself.  Just asking that some of that privilege is not completely denied to non-members.  Not just myself.  It's the members who might get uppity about my criticism that are being entitled.  Like you for example.  Opcode are offering exclusive extras in their games for their members.  A nice little bonus but not denying the game to everyone else.  Collectorvision making the whole game exclusive is elitist, excessive and unfair.  It's not just me that thinks this.  I'm just putting myself on the line to say what other people are thinking.  Quite courageous of me actually but definitely NOT entitled.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

That is what I was afraid of.  I have a number of problems with the Collectorvision club membership.  There's the cost issue for one.  Shelling out for a game I might not even like is a big barrier for me.  You can't know if I will like it.  You can guarantee it will be high quality but that doesn't guarantee it would still be a game I'm willing to pay homebrew prices for.  

The biggest two problems I have though are 1, the fact that the game will ONLY be available to members and 2, the secrecy.  Sure that secrecy can be sort of fun at first but even after it's released?  Really?  The exclusivity of the whole game smacks of elitism and the secrecy smacks of an abhorrent form of schoolyard bullying.  Surely you know what I mean by that without having to spell it out.  I really think Collectorvision should rethink their approach to their club membership.

Please, contact Toby (coleco_master) if you have any suggestions regarding the Club 

Thanks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Does the secret game have to remain secret even after it's released?

It is CollectorVision’s decision to keep the game a secret. Deal with it.

Once the members receive the game, it is up to them to keep it a secret as well, decide to keep or sell the game in a private sale and finally decide if they want to share the rom file when that is eventually released by CollectorVision to the members... if they can’t dump it themselves. Deal with it.

Someone did sell the game from Club 2019 on eBay which was unfortunate as it’s pretty easy to sell the game in private on here.

So for $150 you get A LOT, especially this year with extra items including a SNES game that can be resold if you don’t want it, 15-20 new roms added to the Rom Vault and possibly (looking likely) a second secret game CIB.

The only thing I don’t personally care for is that I think the Rom Vault lineup should be made available like it was in past years. Seeing as the Rom Vault is the one immediate thing that you will receive, to me it’s like a good faith effort on their part for our good faith effort in sending them $150 on the blind. But to each, their own.

• Like 1

I'm in the air on re-upping after 2 years personally. The rom vault is more or less very stagnant after being in the club for two years (even after one, really). So there is little value there in re-upping. A discount to previous members would be nice, as the perceived value drops after the first year you get access to the vault.

Also, we used to get a $10 discount I think on A CV purchase. I didn't see that mentioned this year, unless I missed it. Which is entirely possible. But it's not listed as a benefit on the order page. But that decreases the club value even more if that's gone. It would also be nice if we didn't use that benefit on a physical cart purchase to use it towards next years club (as per my previous complaint).

The 2019 game was iffy at best. The 2020 game was very good though. Who knows what the 2021 game will bring.

I also somewhat have an issue with CV's support model here. Retrolucid heavily promotes the club here on AA. But any time you have a question or issue he tells you to deal with Toby directly. If he is promoting it, he should also be able to speak to it without having to make you message someone else. Or at least he can tell Toby to proactively reply here. The onus shouldn't be on the consumer to track down Toby outside of this thread to get answers. 

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 1

I'm good with it all. I think it's still a really good deal. $10 a rom is a fair deal and we got over 50 the first year. 12 is still worth $120 to me, plus the 2-3 games. Over 150 think it's good enough to join. Some people just always see the glass half empty.

5 minutes ago, 917k said:

I purchased a membership on 12/16. The order in my account history still shows "processing" and no downloads are available. Anybody know if this is normal? I was thinking I would get access to the vault after ordering. 

Yes, we usually send a download link the week after the subscription period ends (January 17th) 

On 12/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, NIAD said:

It is CollectorVision’s decision to keep the game a secret. Deal with it.

Once the members receive the game, it is up to them to keep it a secret as well, decide to keep or sell the game in a private sale and finally decide if they want to share the rom file when that is eventually released by CollectorVision to the members... if they can’t dump it themselves. Deal with it.

Someone did sell the game from Club 2019 on eBay which was unfortunate as it’s pretty easy to sell the game in private on here.

So for $150 you get A LOT, especially this year with extra items including a SNES game that can be resold if you don’t want it, 15-20 new roms added to the Rom Vault and possibly (looking likely) a second secret game CIB.

The only thing I don’t personally care for is that I think the Rom Vault lineup should be made available like it was in past years. Seeing as the Rom Vault is the one immediate thing that you will receive, to me it’s like a good faith effort on their part for our good faith effort in sending them $150 on the blind. But to each, their own.

To be fair, that sale was from the short lived Intellivision club and not from the Colecovision club side. 

Far as easy to sell, nobody wanted my 2019 & 2020 games without knowing what the secret games were ahead of time.

8 hours ago, H.E.R.O. said:

To be fair, that sale was from the short lived Intellivision club and not from the Colecovision club side. 

Far as easy to sell, nobody wanted my 2019 & 2020 games without knowing what the secret games were ahead of time.

Someone also put the 2019 ColecoVision game on eBay.

On 12/31/2020 at 9:26 PM, nick3092 said:

I'm in the air on re-upping after 2 years personally. The rom vault is more or less very stagnant after being in the club for two years (even after one, really). So there is little value there in re-upping. A discount to previous members would be nice, as the perceived value drops after the first year you get access to the vault.

there is a sperate rom vault for 2020, 2 different ROM vault links for 2019 & 2020. It makes sense as some people got one or the other but  not both. I was told I got an email for 2020 last January but I did not recall receiving. I had to get the link in November after realizing this.

Edited by Mr. John ColecoVision

On 12/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

That is what I was afraid of.  I have a number of problems with the Collectorvision club membership.  There's the cost issue for one.  Shelling out for a game I might not even like is a big barrier for me.  You can't know if I will like it.  You can guarantee it will be high quality but that doesn't guarantee it would still be a game I'm willing to pay homebrew prices for.  

The biggest two problems I have though are 1, the fact that the game will ONLY be available to members and 2, the secrecy.  Sure that secrecy can be sort of fun at first but even after it's released?  Really?  The exclusivity of the whole game smacks of elitism and the secrecy smacks of an abhorrent form of schoolyard bullying.  Surely you know what I mean by that without having to spell it out.  I really think Collectorvision should rethink their approach to their club membership.

Ridiculous LOL???

57 minutes ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

Ridiculous LOL???

Oops.  I promised I wouldn't let this get out of control so I've changed my reaction to some songs lyrics instead.  "Happy talking talking happy talk.  Talk about the things you like to do..."

Edited by insertclevernamehere
Change of heart

21 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Here's another elitist reactionary essentially saying "let them eat cake".

You realize that this is referring to starving peasant or the poor?  If you are essentially in that bad of a situation you probably shouldn't worry about buying brioche/Colecovision cartridges and make sure you can put food on the table.

12 hours ago, H.E.R.O. said:

I had absolutely no problem selling my 2020 secret game on the blind shortly after I received it. There were multiple inquiries, but I think some just wanted to find out what game it was and weren't interested in buying. Your asking price could be the issues as well.

10 hours ago, NIAD said:

I had absolutely no problem selling my 2020 secret game on the blind shortly after I received it. There were multiple inquiries, but I think some just wanted to find out what game it was and weren't interested in buying. Your asking price could be the issues as well.

Wasn't asking much above the $75 each that it cost through Collectorvision. Some were looking to pay $30-40 for them.

5 hours ago, H.E.R.O. said:

Wasn't asking much above the $75 each that it cost through Collectorvision. Some were looking to pay $30-40 for them.

$75 is an extremely fair price and people that were offering $30-40 are just straight up cheap or we’re just trying to find out the name of the game.

• Like 1