IGNORED

Atari800MacX Version 5.4.4 Released - Bugfix

atarimac

I've released a quick bugfix release of Atari800MacX.  I'm working on implementing PCLINK and an enhanced Copy/Paste for the 5.5 release, but it is taking a bit longer that I thought, so I thought I would get these fixes out.  I didn't even realize the mouse emulation had the inverted axis issue, but ran into it from a comment by someone in an Atariage forum recently.

Bug Fixes (in version 5.4.4):

• Fix issue with Trackball and Mouse emulation. The Y Axis was inverted, making Trackball emulation of little use. By default, the Y Axis is now inverted, but an option has been added to the Controllers tab of Preferences which allows the original behavior.
  • Fix issue with not being able to sector edit an ATR image that does not contain a supported DOS.

http://atarimac/downloads.php

https://github.com/atarimacosx/Atari800MacX/releases/tag/Release_5.4.4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, atarimac said:
  • Fix issue with Trackball and Mouse emulation. The Y Axis was inverted, making Trackball emulation of little use. By default, the Y Axis is now inverted, but an option has been added to the Controllers tab of Preferences which allows the original behavior.

This reminded me of a bit of PC history.  IIRC, the Y axis on PS/2 mice and on serial mice report in opposite directions.  Positive deltas go up on one and down on the other.  Weird, huh?

Now that you mention that, I do remember that, which is strange, that makes no sense.  In the Mac case at least, I think it has to do with people's preference in trackpad swipe direction for scrolling (I know my daughter has her's set opposite mine, and it drives me nuts...)

Yeah, I am used to my touchpad scrolling emulating moving the scroll thumb, not the screen.  I.e., swipe down pulls the scroll bar thumb down, moving the screen up.  This is the opposite of what you would do on a touchscreen, where you are "grabbing" the screen itself and moving it down.  This is an artifact of older, single finger (as opposed to multi-touch) touchpads that had a "scroll zone" on the right side of the pad.  If you landed your finger along the right edge of the pad and moved up & down, it would emulate grabbing the scroll thumb and dragging it up & down.

PC drivers now have the option to put it either way, but I think it defaults to the touchscreen method (screen follows finger) instead of the older method.  

Well, not sure if it's a bug or so much that it's that the SIDE Loader PBI based emulation is not supported by atari800's SIO patches.  A quick debug confirms that, and I suspect that a more sophisticated patch mechanism like Altirra's will be required, and will need to be implemented in a future release.

I think I found a quick fix for the SIO Patch issue with Ultimate1mb/SIDE2.  What it does is in the patch, if the SIO address of the drive is outside of the range of D1-D8 or C:, it calls the original OS routine to handle it (not accelerating it).

I've given @jc13 a test version of it, if anyone else is having this issue and would like to help test the fix, let me know and I will send you a link.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Someone was very nice to me at Christmas and bought me a new M1 MacBook Air. Unfortunately, neither of my joysticks will work (Atari CX-40 via 2600-daptor II or old Nyko USB joystick) with Atari800MacX 5.4.4. I know it's not specifically related to Atari800MacX, but I was wondering if anyone here was able to use their joystick or gamepad with Atari800MacX on a new M1-based Mac.

I'm interested in what gamepad or joystick worked for you. I've tried other emulators (Hatari, VICE 3.5) with the same problem so I'm sure it's either on my end or a Rosetta 2 problem. The only emulator where my joysticks work is VirtualC64. That's an emulator built with all Mac-specific technologies rather than using a cross-platform toolkit like SDL.

Thanks for your help.

Bob C

All,

Just to follow up on this, @darwinmac used my source to build for the M1 ARM Mac's, and Joysticks are working successfully using an Universal build.  So, when I finish up with Version 5.5 which is currently in Beta, I will do a Universal binary release that includes native M1 support.

Mark

• Like 3

4 hours ago, atarimac said:

All,

Just to follow up on this, @darwinmac used my source to build for the M1 ARM Mac's, and Joysticks are working successfully using an Universal build.  So, when I finish up with Version 5.5 which is currently in Beta, I will do a Universal binary release that includes native M1 support.

Mark

@atarimac - To be pedantic :), my first attempt ended up being an Apple Silicon-only application. However, as we discussed, I was able to create a Universal binary of 5.5.0Beta2 by changing the build from My Mac to Any Mac. I wanted to be sure that was all I had to do. I couldn't use the button to build and run the target. I had to choose Product/Build For/Running in order to create the Universal binary.

However, since your code doesn't appear to rely on any Intel-specific quirks, it appears to run on Apple Silicon as it was originally designed.

Bob C