Jump to content
Ninjabba

Modern gaming fatigue

Recommended Posts

tutorials should be self-paced.   Not everyone needs a tutorial on every game mechanic,  but many games will have a unique mechanic that is worth doing the tutorial on.   I should be able to skip the tutorial steps I don't need.     Also you should be able to jump into a "refresher" later in the game,  because after doing a tutorial and putting the game down for a few days, I will inevitably forget how to perform some of the maneuvers, so it would be nice to pull up that portion of the tutorial later if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as I have been saying modern games get over padded becasue of online stuff and extras they don't need.    They keep adding characters to Super Smash Brothers on the switch and I haven't bought any of them.    I don't play online anymore it wasn''t fun anymore after Mario Kart 8.    Who is the joker in SSBB?  The batman character?     Now the padding gets worse with DLC we end up with an unfinished game and wait to buy the rest of it.  Never unlocked all the stuff in SSBB and never got all the master sword upgrades in Breath of the Wild.   Don't get me started on JRPGs. The way I see Japanesse programmers just get too carried away with themselves making games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got fatigued reading most of the too-long replies here.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2021 at 8:22 AM, zzip said:

I think there are quite a lot of games that are short / pick up and play.   Problem is they don't get the attention that the big, long AAA games get.   So discovering them is harder.   The game stores could do a better job here.   Steam is good about recommending things you might like based on what you played, they also have an extensive user review system.   The Playstation and Nintendo stores are a lot weaker in this regard, and buying a lesser-known game from them feels more like a crap-shoot.

I think the reality is there are more shorter pick up and play games than longer games. 

 

I think it is more of a strawman arguement to say games like Red Dead and Asassin's Creed are the norm.

 

The DLC in games like Mario Kart and Smash I'm okay with. Those are examples of games that feel complete without the need to get DLC. It is something nice and extra. I understand the DLC frustration in other games.

 

I think this is a great time to be a gamer and there are options for anyone. I predominantly just do short games right now and I have more than enough great options on Steam and Switch.

 

2 minutes ago, RJ said:

I got fatigued reading most of the too-long replies here.

Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

Who is the joker in SSBB?  The batman character?    

I think his name is Maurice.  Occupations include "Space Cowboy" and "Gangster of Love"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 8:41 PM, MrBeefy said:

The DLC in games like Mario Kart and Smash I'm okay with. Those are examples of games that feel complete without the need to get DLC. It is something nice and extra. I understand the DLC frustration in other games.

I see DLC complaints all the time, but I've never played a game where DLC wasn't optional and rarely do I feel compelled to buy it.   Games with DLC expansions, the base game usually has a campaign that lasts tens of hours, and the DLC just extends the game a few more hours.   And if your patient, you can buy a "complete edition" of the game that includes all DLC, and get the entire thing on sale for $15-20.

 

A lot of the people complaining seem to want everything the day it comes out, and lack willpower when it comes to optional purchases.

 

"Free to Play" games might have a "Pay to win" model where you pretty much have to buy some DLC or microtransaction, but naturally such games need to earn money somehow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's a thing anymore, but sometime around the mid 2000's games started implementing in game social credit scores and I find that gag-worthy.  Of course they would use benign terminology like 'kudos', 'likes', etc..  still gross.  i especially despised it in racing games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 11:17 AM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I don't know if it's a thing anymore, but sometime around the mid 2000's games started implementing in game social credit scores and I find that gag-worthy.  Of course they would use benign terminology like 'kudos', 'likes', etc..  still gross.  i especially despised it in racing games.

Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast did that already in 2000. I think they were the first to call it "kudos." It's really more of a challenge feature there, though. I didn't play any later games in the series.

 

On 4/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, zzip said:

"Free to Play" games might have a "Pay to win" model where you pretty much have to buy some DLC or microtransaction, but naturally such games need to earn money somehow.

They could do it a more legitimate way, like making a quality game and charging for it. Pay-to-win games are inherently garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

They could do it a more legitimate way, like making a quality game and charging for it. Pay-to-win games are inherently garbage.

A lot of these are online multiplayer games that need a an active playerbase or they're dead.   Making them free or cheap to play helps populate their servers, but then they need to make money other ways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

They could do it a more legitimate way, like making a quality game and charging for it. Pay-to-win games are inherently garbage.

Pay-to-win is bad in competitive games, especially in games without skill based matchmaking. I think it is fine for single player games, though. Even if I wouldn´t pay for such stuff myself, except for removing time-restrictions or something artificial like that.

 

The best way to profit from free to play games is to charge for things that don´t change gameplay. Those who don´t want to pay for a different outfit don´t have to, and those who do can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while not particularly modern, last night i realized how much i can't stand memory cards.  specifically for ps1, ps2, and gamecube.  i went to play rollcage II for ps2 last night and couldn't find any saves on my memory cards (i swear i had them in the past) and i had to go through the annoying tutorial (a tutorial for a game like that is absurd) so i lost interest.  a little off topic, but is there a way to somehow get game saves off the internet somewhere onto a memory card so everything is unlocked and not have to deal with tutorials and difficult games anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

while not particularly modern, last night i realized how much i can't stand memory cards.  specifically for ps1, ps2, and gamecube.  i went to play rollcage II for ps2 last night and couldn't find any saves on my memory cards (i swear i had them in the past) and i had to go through the annoying tutorial (a tutorial for a game like that is absurd) so i lost interest.  a little off topic, but is there a way to somehow get game saves off the internet somewhere onto a memory card so everything is unlocked and not have to deal with tutorials and difficult games anymore?

Yes gamefaqs used to make it like their job in the 90s and 00s archiving multiple users save games, hacked save games, 100% finished save games on individual games that used memory cards.  Back then there were things such as the DEXDRIVE that were for the likes of the PS1, N64, Dreamcast where you could pop your memory card into it, it went into the PC, had an app and you could read, write, update saves.  There were even home baked stuff, like the old retroid for N64 and that needed no software(optional) as it would pick up in WinXP/Vista as another USB drive and you could do whatever from explorer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pong quest is wearing me out.  I got all the powerups ,but I am missing several clothes items and can't find them anywhere.  The grinding is insane it takes almost two hours to get a level up and I always get power ups I don't want when I do level up.   No walkthrough anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...