IGNORED

20GB Backwards Compatible Model Score

Rick Dangerous

Got this 20GB Launch PS3 yesterday off Craigslist for $60 untested.  Works great, very little use on the unit.  The story of the guy who owned it:

"I was at IBM when the PS3 Processor chip was developed.  Then, the processor was called STI;  it was developed by Sony-Toshiba-IBM joint venture.  Everyone on the team got a PS3.  I was in the test engineering group.  I got the thing home and never used it.   Im happy to find s good home for it.  The first few processor made were real power-pigs.   Some would get so hot the solder balls would melt off the devices.  That same processor was also used in flight simulators, commercial and military application... so I'm told."

Pulled the 1TB HDD from my PS4 Pro (upgrading that to 2TB) and installed/formatted it, updated PS3 firmware with the latest 2020 build, updated wallpaper, now need to get it upstairs and hooked up to ethernet since this model doesn't have Wifi.  Want to download my digital games from the PS Store while they are still available. 

Psyched to get one of these again, have had two 60GB models die on me, hoping this one lasts for a good while! Looks like the PS3 Super Slim upstairs will be going into retirement/storage for a little while :) 

I think the black on black looks pretty sharp! 

PXL_20201201_225621796.jpg

PXL_20201202_154607860.jpg

PXL_20201202_155313064.jpg

PXL_20201202_164910262.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It will die for sure.?

I had one since launch, 20GB no wifi.

I barely used it since they removed the otheros, then one day blinking red light and no boot. I did not even played it that much, only few hours a week.

I still have the box and broken PS3 with out the MB.

I think there was a design issue with those PPC chips, 360 and PS3 had problems. 

I had 3 FAT PS3s and ALL of them died.

So far my super slim PS3 is fine, but I have my 2nd one as a backup.

I hope your 20GB PS3 will last longer for you.

• 3 months later...

It's still going strong but yeah; sadly the 20/60gb launch models are not built to last; they all die eventually.

When this one does....i'd like to have a really solid repair job done so it lasts another 20 years.  This model is where it's at for me; 3 systems in 1 is too good to pass up.  Plus the HDMI image, and virtual memory cards, etc.  I basically don't need to have PS1/2 ever again with this setup which is my goal.  Frees up some inputs and power plugs which are in high demand. 

• Like 2

The best way to keep this thing alive it to keep it as cool as possible. Considering the poor design choices Sony made with the early units this is harder than necessary. I'm sure someone has made a watercooler for it. I know Sony made a way to seal the chips to keep their liquid metal paste fresh on the PS5. I wonder if something like that can help on the PS3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:08 PM, RARusk said:

The best way to keep this thing alive it to keep it as cool as possible. Considering the poor design choices Sony made with the early units this is harder than necessary. I'm sure someone has made a watercooler for it. I know Sony made a way to seal the chips to keep their liquid metal paste fresh on the PS5. I wonder if something like that can help on the PS3.

Overheating is my biggest worry with my CECHA01.

I had taken it apart and replaced the thermal paste (I have done this on two CECHA01's and one CECHE01 now; the paste was always dried up) as well as installed a simple fan mod. You can get quite a variety of fan mods from this seller, but I have just used the standard one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Playstation-3-PS3-Fan-Mod-Speed-Accelerator-Controller-run-cooler-avoid-YLOD/190733529599?hash=item2c689ab1ff:g:11UAAOSw5eBcmomc

It is pretty basic, it just speeds up the cooling fan by 50% over whatever the system is telling it to use. I hope between the two, my PS3 will last quite a few years yet.

I have about 40 PS2 games, and even a few PS1 titles I still like to play.

Edited by Tavi
editing grammar mistakes