IGNORED

As 2020 comes to a close what were your TI highlights?

Omega-TI

2020 turned out pretty great for me TI-wise, I'd say.  Since (topically, given the video you've just shared) I've just come to really enjoy digging deeper into the TI-99 library and tech through making YouTube videos.  It's been great to have that outlet for research into the library and the platform.  And I wouldn't have anticipated that at all.  I didn't even have a video editing program installed on my computer, at the beginning of the year.  So I sure wouldn't have anticipated that a strange crossover between my TI-99/4A and YouTube would end up being arguably my biggest creative outlet, by the end of the year. 

Some highlights of the year were:

- Lucking into a relatively cheap MBX and doing a bunch of research and manual scans and gameplay recording for it and its games. 

- Getting obsessed with Imagic and Wing War in particular.  Researching the company.  Finding all Wing War's secrets.  Recording gameplay and analysis, and doing up a manual for the game. 

- Posting a retrospective on TI Runner and getting a great response from one of the developers and his son. 

- Playtesting Realms of Antiquity.

- Getting better at making the TI-99 sing using allophone (Text-to-Speech disk, TE2) speech.

The TI-99 Zoom group has also been a major highlight.  Feels like the final step in resurrecting the user groups of old, or the closest thing to it that can exist in the present day. 

• Like 4

For me 2020’s Pandemic significantly increased the amount of time I had for retro computing activities.

Some highlights:

1. Enough time to nearly complete a game in Assembly for the 99/4. Something that’s been on my bucket list since 1981. Thanks go out to@matthew180 and countless others for their patience and smarts on the Assembly Programming thread.

2. Finally acquiring a 99/4 in-box unit through a fluke estate sale discovery in Tucson, AZ. She was my first.

3. TIPI - Having enough time to hook the damn thing up and make it part of my game-dev workflow kit along with: Classic99, Magellan, xas99, and Module Creator. Tip-o-the-hat here to @jedimatt42, @arcadeshopper, and @Omega-TI

4. A few really great VAST TI User Group meetups with @sparkdrummer before all heck broke loose around March. 

• Like 3

OMG. I'm sooo sorry first of all to Lee, @theBF, @HOME AUTOMATIONand others for pestering the hell outta em' to get an understanding of, SAMs, DSR and anything else. I mean, we literally went months trying to understand the assembly language routines for these. 

with that said, swhoooo... I was able to get SNE complete and SNP almost complete. 

2020 was a learning curve all the way, with no letting up.

there is light as I enter the curve in that tunnel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Well... because of 2020 I have:

- finally signed up at AtariAge 

- Pulled my basic consoles out of storage and cleaned them up thoroughly

- Acquired my first PEB since I was a little kid 

- Learned a crap-ton more about the system architecture and capabilities than I ever did as a kid/teen

- Obtained and am setting up a finalgrom, 32k sidecar, and TIPI (unfortunately I totally missed the Speech TIPI/32k)

- Introduced my daughter to Hunt The Wumpus

- created lots of dreams/plans for 2021...

• Like 4

Some highlights from my year:

- Finished my Bounce'n'Pounce game, and selected it for the August monthly competition thread.

- Played Wingwar quite a bit to discover the depth of that game with huge potential. Thanks to Pixelpedant for the manual.

- Finally got an UV EPROM eraser and reflashed my TIPI ROM chip to the latest version.

- With Rasmus and Jedimatt42's help, got TIPI working in JS99er emulation using QEMU.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, technojunkie said:

- Introduced my daughter to Hunt The Wumpus

LOL My middle daughter who is 35 years old still can't play Hunt the Wumpus on the TI-99.  She was only 4 the first time I showed her and it scared the crap out of her.

For me it was getting ED99 in a condition so that someone might find it useful.

Getting an IDE card (which I need to get running)

Finding improvements in Camel99 Forth.

Learning how to make Forth compile to real machine code.

But mostly the best part of the year is hanging out with the gang on Atariage. :) 

• Like 6

Released updated Horizon Ramdisk OS and updated user manual; published code on github with simple wiki.  Greatly enjoyed being a part of the hrd4000b effort with @FALCOR4 and @Ksarul

Found time to install my TIPI-PEB. Successfully updated for use w/the Geneve without releasing any smoke.  Replaced the EPROM with a 29C256 Atmel reprogramable flash since I wasn't able to successfully erase/burn EPROMs. Made some headway with Geneve-TIPI integration.

Infocom interpreter native z3 file testing and the addition of extended characters, thanks to @hlabrand and @wierd_w

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You're gonna make me think about all the stuff I've done?  LOL; I haven't even sat down to think about it.

• Fixed two thermal printers and was able to test the new 38 column TP DSR successfully
  • Built a crapload of UberGROM cartridges from scratch (mostly all unreleased GROMs).  Got a lot of nice labels for them thanks to a European TI user on Facebook, and cases from Greg McGill.  Still a few short, but it's nice having physical carts for things like Gamevision Demo cart, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, etc.
  • Released UberGROM images for a lot of TI unreleased cartridges (prebuilt binaries people can flash)
  • Scanned countless documents from the CB Wilson collection (about halfway done) and made available
  • Refurbished a partially inoperable Tomy Pyuuta: replaced its keyboard, replaced VRAM, edited the keyboard matrix in the BIOS, and made a joystick adapter for it
  • Working with Fred on my DiskROM concept (and now @FALCOR4 and @Ksarul)

I'll be getting back to scanning shortly... I have a punch list of things to work on, and right now, dealing with a cracked master bedroom shower pan on my second floor and the consequences of that has been taking a lot of my time.  :(

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2019 was the worst year in my life.  I lost 5 family members including my mother around Thanksgiving.

So while I am still grieving, 2020 turned out to be one of the best years in my life considering the circumstances.  I've been working from home since March 2020 and my stress has dropped...I've finished more projects at home and expanded my TI a little bit by buying a Nano PEB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

2019 was the worst year in my life.  I lost 5 family members including my mother around Thanksgiving.

So while I am still grieving, 2020 turned out to be one of the best years in my life considering the circumstances.  I've been working from home since March 2020 and my stress has dropped...I've finished more projects at home and expanded my TI a little bit by buying a Nano PEB.

Sincere condolences on your losses and very happy that you have found a way to carry on. 

Who would have thought that the computer you bought from long ago would be a bit of a friend in the future.

• Like 2

I was able to release:

• IDE 2020 Group Buy
  • OoeyGUI v4.0
  • SCART Genie 9640 V2
  • SCART Genie 9640 Passive V1
  • GBSVGA Genie v2 with WiFi

All in all a pretty good year for me as far as projects are concerned.  And since I have also been working from home has also helped me complete more projects for work and less stress on me.  Which has actually helped me focus on additional TI/Geneve projects.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:44 AM, cbmeeks said:

Oh, man - sorry to hear that.  My condolences.  Losing a parent isn't easy, especially around the holidays.  I still have it rough after my mother's passing from cancer six years ago.  

We're here for you - this is a pretty robust community that stands behind each other.  That's a super awesome thing about all these folks.  

• Like 3

On 12/9/2020 at 5:37 PM, acadiel said:

Oh, man - sorry to hear that.  My condolences.  Losing a parent isn't easy, especially around the holidays.  I still have it rough after my mother's passing from cancer six years ago.  

We're here for you - this is a pretty robust community that stands behind each other.  That's a super awesome thing about all these folks.  

Thank you very much for the kind words.  And yes!  This community is amazing with lots of great, kind people.

• Like 3