IGNORED

TDI Modula-2 Manual?

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:20 AM, TGB1718 said:

I found this, it's for the Amiga, but usually these sort of things are pretty similar for most things to the ST

https://retro-commodore.eu/files/downloads/amigamanuals-xiik.net/eBooks/Modula-2 for the Amiga - Manual-ENG.pdf

Thanks. I have the Amiga manual in hard copy. It’s useful to a point but is missing a the Atari specific GEM, TOS and VDI calls. The search continues…

2 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

Thanks. I have the Amiga manual in hard copy. It’s useful to a point but is missing a the Atari specific GEM, TOS and VDI calls. The search continues…

Sorry it didn't help, I remember when I bought my first ST I was toying with either Modular-2, Pascal or C (no real interest in BASIC)

in the end I went for C and never met anyone who had Modular-2.

4 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Sorry it didn't help, I remember when I bought my first ST I was toying with either Modular-2, Pascal or C (no real interest in BASIC)

in the end I went for C and never met anyone who had Modular-2.

I had the original manual but after eight or nine moves I fear it is long lost. Purchased it when it came out in 1986/1987. 

6 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

I had the original manual but after eight or nine moves I fear it is long lost.

I know the feeling, I had boxes and boxes of 5 1/4 floppy's for my Atari 8 Bits, I still have my "work" ones, but

had loads of game disks, utility disks, DOS's, menu disks etc. but can't find any of them and I know I would

never throw them, so annoying.

• 2 months later...

I have the User manual for TDI Modula-2/ST (Release 2.88a according to the screenshot in the manual) but unfortunately I do not have sufficient spare time to scan it. What in particular do you want to know? I assume you have the software. Most of the Atari-specific information in the manual is just listings of the Definition files and you should have machine-readable copies of those anyway?

Edited by Chris Burrows

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, Chris Burrows said:

Most of the Atari-specific information in the manual is just listings of the Definition files and you should have machine-readable copies of those anyway?

Unfortunately, on further investigation, I discovered that the Definition files e.g. GEMDOS.def are not included on the TDI Modula-2 disks. However, if you have the 3rd disk (the Modula-2/ST Toolkit) this includes a utility called DECSYM which decodes the symbol file and produces an equivalent readable definition file. This includes the names of the procedures and the data types of the parameters but the names of the parameters are not included. 

Another alternative is to download a copy of LPR Modula-2. This, like TDI Modula-2 was also based on the original 5-pass Modula-2 compiler from Niklaus Wirth's team at ETH in Zurich, but also includes the definition files. I only checked GEMDOS.def but it appears to be identical (apart from the Copyright notice) to the listing in the TDI manual.  The TDI manual refers you to the GEMDOS documentation and the source code of the GEM demonstration program as an example of how to use the GEMDOS functions from Modula-2.    

On 10/15/2021 at 6:32 PM, Chris Burrows said:

I have the User manual for TDI Modula-2/ST (Release 2.88a according to the screenshot in the manual) but unfortunately I do not have sufficient spare time to scan it. What in particular do you want to know? I assume you have the software. Most of the Atari-specific information in the manual is just listings of the Definition files and you should have machine-readable copies of those anyway?

Would you be willing to drop the Manuel in the mail so I could scan it?

• 3 weeks later...