IGNORED

Atari Lynx large carrying case - where can I buy?

Pac-Lander

I just recently scored one at my local game store. I haven't found one in the original box though, that is pretty cool! I know this sounds a little odd, but lately I have been finding some pretty cool vintage Atari stuff on Etsy. You might want to check there. I just recently bought a handful of Atari 2600 games as well as some Wii U titles from Etsy and it was pretty easy and straight forward. Have you also heard of Mercari? That is a good place to check as well. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

Hello all!

Just curious if eBay is the only place to find the large "briefcase" style carrying cases for the Atari Lynx. Does anyone know of any smaller vendors or shops online that still carry this for sale?

Thank you in advance!

s-l1600.jpg

Best Electronics still sells them: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/lynx.htm#Lynx II

See below (Large Carrying Case $36.95)

Lynx Accessories Specials:

Lynx I or II US External Power Supply  $15.00

Lynx I or II Universal Auto / Cigarette adapter

for use with 2 Lynx consoles at the same time $19.95  (no box)

Lynx I or II Extra Battery Pack (6 D Cells) $9.95 

Lynx II Carry Pouch Special no box $8.95

Lynx II boxed Carry Pouch $14.95

Lynx I Sun Screen $19.95 

Lynx II Sun Screen $7.95

Lynx I or II Large Carrying case $36.95

Lynx I or II ComLynx Cable $7.95

Lynx I English Owners Manual $5.00

Lynx II English Owners Manual $5.00

Bests New Lynx II upgrade Internal Speaker $12.50 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jettgogaming said:

I just recently scored one at my local game store. I haven't found one in the original box though, that is pretty cool! I know this sounds a little odd, but lately I have been finding some pretty cool vintage Atari stuff on Etsy. You might want to check there. I just recently bought a handful of Atari 2600 games as well as some Wii U titles from Etsy and it was pretty easy and straight forward. Have you also heard of Mercari? That is a good place to check as well. 

Never have I seen any Lynx item in "the wild".  Lucky you.  These cases are now expensive.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, gilsaluki said:

These cases are now expensive.

It could be worse.  The last one of these I saw went for over $300.00.

o74kujtg on Twitter: "I almost forgot how legit the official carrying case  for the Turbo Express was. #fannypack #retrogamer #turbografx… "

I have one.  I wonder if I should put it in my signature, you know, just to annoy the mods.:lolblue:

7 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

It could be more worse.  The last one of these I saw went for over $300.00.

o74kujtg on Twitter: "I almost forgot how legit the official carrying case  for the Turbo Express was. #fannypack #retrogamer #turbografx… "

I have one.  I wonder if I should put it in my signature, you know, just to annoy the mods.:lolblue:

For fuck's sake.  I'll sell mine which is better than mint condition to the first person that send me $450.  Oh yeah - don't forget to include $50 to cover shipping too.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thefred said:

Make sure the one you buy has the velcro covers on the cart holders, one of my cases doesn't have it and the carts fall out of the holders when you open the case. I don't know if the previous owner removed the flaps, or some cases just didn't come with them.

Well, I did actually look at the used one at the retro store near me and it had the velcro inserts and also still had the velcro flaps for all the rows of games on the top cover of the case still. Inside looked really good but again the outside was a bit dirty and one of the feet looked to have been ripped off at some point. I didn't buy it because I have already I bought back in the early 00's in really good shape. But if someone where interested in it, I'm sure it is still there and I'm happy to pick it up for someone for the price of the case and actual shipping to whomever wants or needs it.

• 6 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 7:17 PM, thefred said:

Make sure the one you buy has the velcro covers on the cart holders, one of my cases doesn't have it and the carts fall out of the holders when you open the case. I don't know if the previous owner removed the flaps, or some cases just didn't come with them.

The “large” Atari Lynx cases were originally released for the Lynx I, and at the time didn’t have the cartridge flaps. When the smaller Lynx II came out, Atari did a redesign of the large carrying case to add another main compartment divider beyond what was already there, to more snugly hold the Lynx II in place. At this point the flaps were added, probably due to people complaining about the games falling out.  The thrown cartridges is a problem I remember well, having decided to implement a fix for myself by pasting in fabric tabs (or “mini-flaps”) back in I guess ~1990. I have four of these cases and two of them don’t have any flaps, including the oldest case I bought back then.

The distinguishing features are:

#1 - cartridge flaps present on the newer cases, but absent on the older ones.

#2 - on the cases without the flaps, the “made in China” tag on the inside is written in black ink, whereas on the cases with the cartridge flaps, this tag is written in red ink.

#3 - Both cases have a large divider attached by Velcro across the middle, with the area towards the back of the case being further divided into three sections (reconfigurable via Velcro).  However on the case without the flaps, the front area is totally undivided, whereas on the case with the flaps, the area towards the front is divided (again, removable via Velcro) into a wide section and a short section. This change was made after the Lynx II release - the full width without the divider is the right size for the Lynx I, and with the divider it’s sized to keep the Lynx II from sliding around.

Edited by ZLevee
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, thefred said:

Mine didn't come with it, and yes, the carts fall out frequently...

• Like 1