IGNORED

Iron Soldier 3 NUON reprint coming 2021 from Songbird

Songbird

Availability of components from this kind of brokers should be taken with a (big) grain of salt.

A significant percentage of them don't actually have the stock they claim to have; when you place an order, they try to buy the components from someone else (and may not succeed).

You may also get junk: chips crudely desoldered from circuit boards, defective or lower-grade chips, or even unrelated chips repainted to make them look like the ones you're looking for.

On 5 de diciembre de 2020 at 8:30 AM, PeterG said:

Very very cool. Congrats on getting the rights to publish this. It's the best game on the Nuon, very much deserving to be played by more people. I wonder how many Nuons are around still. I've got mine ?

Carl I have a semi-related question, so not hijack this thread but asuming that you talked to someone from Eclipse to get IS3 released, do you happen to know anything about their Jaguar game projects that never made it out the door?

Marc Rosocha once told me about a textured car game he was working on. And on one of the €-Jagfests Daniel showed us some work in progress artwork for a very colourful jump 'n run. Any chance that any of this might make it out to us as well sometime in the future?

Never knew about these two projects! I do know they were also working on a Starblade-esque project for the Jag before moving to Iron Soldier...

Edited by KidGameR186496

Nuon... A couple weeks ago the topic of light synthesizes came up in conversation. I mentioned how long it took Minter's VLM to gain widespread appreciation. In its earlier forms it wasn't really understood, then he had the misfortune of it being on Jaguar CD. ~30 years passed since his earliest ones before such a thing was exposed to a wide audience and appreciated thanks to Xbox 360.

I completely forgot about the Nuon... so that makes two kicks to Minter's crotch before the 360!

I'm surprised to hear Nuon players/games haven't become as expensive as other retrogaming hardware, especially obscure stuff. I assume that might not be the case if controllers weren't prohibitively expensive. Speaking of, I just took a look at eBay sold listings to get a feel for prices and yikes, usually $200+just for one of them! Not just that, but the majority of these are Logitech controllers which suffer from input lag according to this review. Apparently the input lag was a known issue reported to Logitech in testing, yet they did not fix problem before release - despite assuring testers that they would.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, Chris Brockman said:

Most of them were recalled for some kind of bug.  Very few original boxed copies exist in the wild, the only one I know about K3V from NUON-Dome has.  It was supposed to be released again with the fix for the bug but VM Labs went bustola and about 300 copies were distributed as a free Demo in the NUON-Dome forum at the end.

Interesting... so what we've got here is a rare game on a rare console with rare controllers? I've been involved in enough niche hobbies over the years to know that wherever these enthusiasts with a Nuon and controller are, they probably thrilled to see the news of this re-release.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear Nuon players/games haven't become as expensive as other retrogaming hardware, especially obscure stuff. I assume that might not be the case if controllers weren't prohibitively expensive. Speaking of, I just took a look at eBay sold listings to get a feel for prices and yikes, usually $200+just for one of them! Not just that, but the majority of these are Logitech controllers which suffer from input lag according to this review. Apparently the input lag was a known issue reported to Logitech in testing, yet they did not fix problem before release - despite assuring testers that they would.

I wrote that review and spoke with the Logitech rep at E3 2001. It’s not input lag that’s the problem, it’s a physical design flaw that can be overcome by slightly modifying the controller.

Full explanation and two modding options are available here: https://www.nuon-dome.com/logihack.html
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

Sign-up form is available:

https://tinyurl.com/yyjdunao

This is just an interest gauge for now, and not a formal pre-order. If things are looking good by end of Jan, then this project is a go! :)

Just signed up for one :)

I have an 'original' disk from K3V from way back with DEMO written across the front. Looking forward to this even though I don't have a NUON anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saturn said:

Just signed up for one :)

I have an 'original' disk from K3V from way back with DEMO written across the front. Looking forward to this even though I don't have a NUON anymore.

Aren't you supposed to have three? :D Or does that only apply to Jaguar stuff?:)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, K3V said:

I wrote that review and spoke with the Logitech rep at E3 2001. It’s not input lag that’s the problem, it’s a physical design flaw that can be overcome by slightly modifying the controller.

Full explanation and two modding options are available here: https://www.nuon-dome.com/logihack.html

To follow up (guess my memory was hazy after 20 years and I should've clicked through). Michael Olshansky wrote that review and I posted it as a third-party review. I did have the conversation with the rep at E3 though (my writeup is here if you want to dig for it: https://www.nuon-dome.com/narchive.html). But my original point stands, it's not input lag it's the physical limitation that's the problem. Everything else with it is fine. I've put many hours on my Logitech NUON controllers.

Edited by K3V
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, Songbird said:

Sign-up form is available:

https://tinyurl.com/yyjdunao

This is just an interest gauge for now, and not a formal pre-order. If things are looking good by end of Jan, then this project is a go! :)

FYI to anyone that gets an error, you have to be signed into Google in your browser for the submission to work.  (My browser I use for AA was not)

On 12/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, Chris Brockman said:

Most of them were recalled for some kind of bug.  Very few original boxed copies exist in the wild, the only one I know about K3V from NUON-Dome has.  It was supposed to be released again with the fix for the bug but VM Labs went bustola and about 300 copies were distributed as a free Demo in the NUON-Dome forum at the end.  Awesome that it is getting released again but I bet it does not have the bug fixed.

I have an original boxed copy.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:15 AM, sixersfan105 said:

My understanding is the bug only manifested on the Toshiba SD-2300. 

Also, re your comment on the proprietary polyface chip for the controllers, Lee Olivares has had the only remaining stock for a few years now, handed over to him by Nick Persijn. Glad the boards/new controllers will be available soon!

I have a Samsung DVD-N2000, and the bug occurs there, too.

It's a random crash bug, which can occur at any time without warning. When it occurs, the system abruptly resets. Playing the game is a real gamble--you could play for hours without problems, or you could play 5 minutes and experience a sudden reset.

Even worse, there's also no known way to avoid it, as it can happen anywhere. You could be involved in a fierce firefight, or selecting weapons from the menu, or even watching the opening FMV sequence 20 seconds after popping the disc in.

Regarding the Polyface chips, if someone has a source and is able to utilize them, then I'd prefer that he design and create some sort of adapter to use existing controllers from other platforms, rather than making a very specific controller.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Agent X said:

I have an original boxed copy.

I have a Samsung DVD-N2000, and the bug occurs there, too.

It's a random crash bug, which can occur at any time without warning. When it occurs, the system abruptly resets. Playing the game is a real gamble--you could play for hours without problems, or you could play 5 minutes and experience a sudden reset.

Even worse, there's also no known way to avoid it, as it can happen anywhere. You could be involved in a fierce firefight, or selecting weapons from the menu, or even watching the opening FMV sequence 20 seconds after popping the disc in.

Regarding the Polyface chips, if someone has a source and is able to utilize them, then I'd prefer that he design and create some sort of adapter to use existing controllers from other platforms, rather than making a very specific controller.

Wow - I recall Jeff Minter saying that Tempest 3000 had such an issue.  The difference being VM Labs made him find and fix the issue.  I seem to remember him saying it was over 250,000 lines of hand written assembler.  Sometimes the bug would happen if left on the title screen for 3 days.  Now, the Nuon was insanely interesting architecture.  It could theoretically execute up to 5 (or was it 7) instructions per clock cycle.  The parallelism was allowed if each instruction used a different part of the CPU, meaning one ALU operation, one counter, etc.  Even worse, there was no automatic optimizing assembler for this.  So one could choose to hand optimize the code, creating EACH code "chunk" which was 1 to 5 instructions.  Was Minter the last game developer to fully code in assembler, into the N64 era?

Oh man, love this game.  My 2nd favorite Nuon title behind T3K.  I still have my boxed versions of most of the games but might grab this anyways once I can set up my collection again.  So glad you are putting this out.  Also, just ordered my Evercade from you- super pumped!  It's my "next round of quarantine" gift to myself.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, jongolo said:

It would be awesome if you were able to recreate the gold colored plastic DVD packaging, like the original NUON releases!

LOL...I put that in my comments section of the sign-up page.

I still have my demo marked copy and even downloaded a cover, but just put it in a regular black DVD case.  Looking forward to the Songbird release.

Songbird is on fire with all kinds of news and new releases! Thanks, Carl! ??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Project is CONFIRMED for a March 2021 release, thanks to over 125 sign-ups. Save $5 off the retail price if you pre-order NUON IS3 by Jan 22. Thanks for all the support on this! Great to see so many Atari / NUON fans responding.

Any chance of a Tempest 3000 reprint?

I am checking into some other NUON reprints, but nothing confirmed at this point.

• Like 2