IGNORED

Computers in grade school/high school?

MHaensel

• 1 month later...

In elementary school we had TRS-80 Model 4s in the library. I wasn't really interested in computers at the time, they were just those machines at school they made you do work on. When I started high school they originally had Apple IIs (I don't remember which model exactly) but midway through they all got upgraded to IBM PS/2s. What makes me really sad is they tried to give away all those Apple II computers and no one wanted them, not even me at the time. I'm guessing most of them ended up going to the dump.

• Sad 1

For the longest time I just saw Apple stuff, the ][e, the little Mac all in one with the mouse, and some other early Apple that did color graphics but not more detailed really than the green screen oldie did.  It wasn't I think until jr high/hs I started to see PCs pop up for like typing/computer class and in library too.  Then it was actual IBM or compatible things running VGA level output.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:21 AM, Banquo said:

In elementary school we had TRS-80 Model 4s in the library. I wasn't really interested in computers at the time, they were just those machines at school they made you do work on. When I started high school they originally had Apple IIs (I don't remember which model exactly) but midway through they all got upgraded to IBM PS/2s. What makes me really sad is they tried to give away all those Apple II computers and no one wanted them, not even me at the time. I'm guessing most of them ended up going to the dump.

What year was this that nobody would take a free Apple II?

On 1/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, Banquo said:

A shame in retrospect, but then again all of the PCs I have ever had have (probably) gone to electronic heaven, so I can't say that I am not too surprised.

3 hours ago, zzip said:

Around 94 I think is when they replaced them. I don't believe any of my friends cared much about computers. They were all about Nintendo and Sega consoles, and the people that did have computers at home were probably using Windows PCs by that time and maybe thought of the Apple II as worthless outdated junk; they just weren't old enough yet for anyone to be nostalgic for them. That and the fact that they didn't really advertise to anyone that they were getting rid of them other than piling them out in the parking lot and putting up signs for the students to read. If it had at least been in the newspaper I'm sure more people would have taken them.

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banquo said:

Around 94 I think is when they replaced them. I don't believe any of my friends cared much about computers. They were all about Nintendo and Sega consoles, and the people that did have computers at home were probably using Windows PCs by that time and maybe thought of the Apple II as worthless outdated junk; they just weren't old enough yet for anyone to be nostalgic for them. That and the fact that they didn't really advertise to anyone that they were getting rid of them other than piling them out in the parking lot and putting up signs for the students to read. If it had at least been in the newspaper I'm sure more people would have taken them.

Ok that was around the time my college gave me an IBM 5150 because it was so outdated, so makes sense

When you said they got PS/2s,  I assumed it was 80s, and I think there were a good number of kids in the 80s who would have gladly taken a free Apple II because our families couldn't afford them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

Ok that was around the time my college gave me an IBM 5150 because it was so outdated, so makes sense

When you said they got PS/2s,  I assumed it was 80s, and I think there were a good number of kids in the 80s who would have gladly taken a free Apple II because our families couldn't afford them.

I maybe misremembering about them being PS/2s, I'm not sure exactly what they were other than they were IBMs and they came with both Windows 3.1 and OS/2 preinstalled.

21 minutes ago, Banquo said:

I maybe misremembering about them being PS/2s, I'm not sure exactly what they were other than they were IBMs and they came with both Windows 3.1 and OS/2 preinstalled.

They might have been PS/2's   I don't remember how long the PS/2 line lasted.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I was trashing Apples from about 94-96. Was a point when I had accumulated a good number, maybe as much as 40. Today I have 4 of those left in working order, and 1 for spare parts - which I hadn't had to tear into yet. Maybe I'll spiff it up.

The year was 1983 and our high school computer lab received a new batch of Apple IIe's with dual disk drives and Silentype thermal printers. The lab also had Commodore PETs, Franklin ACE and a couple others that I'm unable to recall.  At home, the family computer (really my Dad's) was a TRS-80, however I had my own C64 and several of my friends owned C64's as well. Good times?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, MHaensel said:

PC Mag talks about the TRS-80 model III being "an appealing and sturdy all-in-one machine that found its way into many school computer labs across the United States."

I grew up in small town in North Dakota, USA. Schools in rural ND were Apple II from one side to the other. My particular school may have had a Model II in the front office, but that's the only exception I remember.

What computers were in your school? Did you have the same kind at home?

Apple IIe up till grade 2 or 3(??) and then my school got an Unisys Icon Network.

My school still had Apple IIs in some elementary classrooms in the late 90s/early 2000s. (My first year at that school was the 1999-2000 school year in third grade). As I have mentioned before I hate myself for nor grabbing one for $5, complete with monitor and disk drives at a school garage sale we had when I was in middle school. 

We also had a lot of old Macs too... the ones with the CD-Rom caddies. That brings back some memories. I remember playing Gizmos and Gadgets on one. 

All manual typewriters in my typing class in junior high. One Selectric reserved for the top student. About the time I graduated 4-banger pocket calculators were just becoming affordable, under $100. In my 1973 senior year, having one might've helped improve my final grade of D in math. :D

A few years later, I'd bought myself a fancy TI-30! Didn't get an actual computer (a Timex TS1000, if that qualifies as a computer), till I was 29 in 1984.

34 minutes ago, Ed in SoDak said:

About the time I graduated 4-banger pocket calculators were just becoming affordable, under $100. In my 1973 senior year, having one might've helped improve my final grade of D in math. :D

Yup. I couldn't handle the tedium of manipulating numbers manually. I so wanted to move above that my incorporating a calculator. But.. NOOOOOhhhh.. Assinine backward school district. Still can't add or subtract numbers right, so I use a calculator till this very day!

I also remember I used a PC for CAD in drafting class in high school back in the early 1990's.  It had one of those mice with three buttons.  I remember hearing some other student was playing SimCity during class and being a smart ass to the teacher.  So the teacher said something like, "Do you want me to delete your progress on SimCity?  Just you watch!"  So smart ass thought he was pulling his leg but I think he deleted his save file.

• Like 2

Grammer school it was all Apple IIes, middle school (a different district) were Laser 128s (Apple II clones), and Highschool was black and white Macs. I graduated in '96. All pretty typical, except...

The odd one was my fourth grade classroom.  For some reason we had three PET computers and a C64 in there. The C64 was exclusively used before the school day started to play Gridrunner, and come to think of it was a brilliant method of getting the kids to arrive early.

The PETs were old even then... This would have been about '87 or '88.

The PETs were actually pretty fun... My 4th grade teacher taught himself how to reprogram some of the games... There was a simple dungeon crawler (maybe called "Dungeon"?)  in which he changed the names of all the monsters to be the names of the students.

Pretty fun. I still remember, "You encounter a Brian!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, Omega-TI said:

My High School electronics class had a Heathkit H8, but all I ever got to do with it was look at it.  At the time it had a "massive" (not) 4K of RAM!

heathkit-h8-h9.thumb.jpg.5a339bfab45bdcd8fcbb6ea888921552.jpg

That 4K RAM board had a mass of a few hundred grams. A modern 4GB RAM stick has less mass and a million times more memory, so that 4K was massive indeed.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2021 at 2:19 PM, frankodragon said:

I also remember I used a PC for CAD in drafting class in high school back in the early 1990's.  It had one of those mice with three buttons.  I remember hearing some other student was playing SimCity during class and being a smart ass to the teacher.  So the teacher said something like, "Do you want me to delete your progress on SimCity?  Just you watch!"  So smart ass thought he was pulling his leg but I think he deleted his save file.

I would actually love to find a three button mouse without a scrollwheel but is a laser or optical mouse for my DOS PC...

Well, my memory is likely wrong, but I know that in 4th grade, we had one computer at the back of the room that we only did a few activities with. I can't recall what it was, but it was likely a Vic-20. I do remember playing a game briefly on it that loaded from a cassette and was kinda like a text/graphical adventure game.

Didn't really start to learn computers until Middle school where in 6th grade we had a room full of Apple IIe, with dual disk drives and color Amdek monitors. That was my introduction to Sierra adventure games. The class was only learning basic and we had most of that done before the end of the year, so like the last 2 months of school we just all sat around playing King's Quest II, Space Quest I, and Police Quest. The Teacher had made pirate copies of all the games hence why so many of us could play at the same time. He also had Leisure Suit Larry as well and a few of the students did manage to wrangle that from him to play a bit but it was on the hush hush.

High school was kinda a shock as we only had two computer courses that were available. Basic computing was once again learning basic only this time the lab was full of TRS-80 model 3 units with dual built in disk drives and black and white monitors? It really felt like a step down from the Apple's I originally learned basic from a few years prior and this was in the early 90s! But the other course was about word processing and data entry. That class focused on Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3. In that classroom the lab was full of IBM XTs with dual floppy drives and IBM CGA monitors. About the only game we played in that class was Wheel of Fortune when we were done with the required formula data entry for the day.

Needless to say, when my family and I bought our first actual computer, it was a considerable step up from what my school had available at the time. My 286-16mhz bought back in '89 ran circles around the stuff I was having to learn from in school. 

Although in my senior year, the drafting class was able to get funding to purchase two decent 386s with math co in them so we could actually play with AutoCad and render stuff. 

• Like 2