IGNORED

After too much FujiNet

manterola

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Good old acoustic couplers, the poor kids of today would be lost...

I showed my 14 year old daughter this picture and told her it's how we used to dial in to what was before the internet , she didn't understand ?

Hello guys

11 hours ago, Gibstov said:

How about "Global Thermonuclear War"?

Today it would probably say: "Global Thermal War"

7 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Lol...Most kids would be too lazy to actually plug the phone in to the coupler..Just way too much trouble :)

I asked my nieces if they had any advice on which brands of power banks are good and told them I would need buy it before today (december 5th) because we'd planned a trip to an amusement park and I didn't want my phone to run out of power like the last time we visited that park (which was this summer).  The youngest one, 18 years old, told me she had some spares and would give me one of hers.  I didn't dare ask if she could either bring it around soon enough or if she could charge it.  Something about a gifted horse... My brother kicked them out of bed 20 minutes (!!!) before we were supposed to leave.  And 20 minutes after I asked her via Whatsapp if she'd charged it.  Guess when she plugged it in...

They really do not have a clue.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

9 hours ago, Mathy said:

They really do not have a clue.

If I had a rotary phone left, I would challenge my 16-year old twins. ?

Finally completely derailing the thread:

;)

But this is not only true for teens. Most of the below 30-year olds in IT projects are the same.

My friend and I call them "Turnbeutelvergesser" which I unfortunately could not find a good English translation for.

The closest in sense were 'dreamer' or 'overhatched-one', but they do not have the funny touch of the German idiom to them.

Edited by DjayBee

Ha ha re the centrefold, boy as kids did we know what they were :)

Sadly kids now have it handed on a plate, there's very little need to think on their part but also there's very little wish to think. I'm lucky, Serena was born and wanted to explore and learn, naturally we encouraged this and we have always had a point of stealth learning, getting her to think and to listen without making it seem like a lesson. She's got here issues just like most kids but she likes to understand which we love.

Ironically because of her getting covid it means learning is on hold while it passes through...

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Technically some modems still exist in the ADSL 1  and 2 range but thankfully not in the way the older days had..

Saying that, one of the most liked noises is the sound of the modem handshake from back then..

Especially after hours of hearing a busy signal. ;)