IGNORED

New 99/4A DC Power Board

dhe

I've wanted to try assembling one of these, as there isn't very many components.

The original YouTube Video can be found here:

This takes you to a place, that, I have never been to before:

https://easyeda.com/jonn.blanchard/ti99-4a-replacement-power-board_copy_copy_copy_copy

Most of these projects usually come with Gerber Files, this comes in an editor?

I'm assuming easyeda, must make their money on getting people to sign up for an account, and unless you sign up for an account you can not save files, which is where you would get a gerber of the board from?

• Like 5

Not trying to rain on everyone's parade, but the board design for this power supply is questionable. All the trace widths are 0.18mm -- under the normal operating conditions of the 4A, some of the traces are going to heat up by ~20ºC, and the voltages the motherboard gets are going to be noticeably lower than they should be (possibly causing instability). The traces should really be double that width *at minimum*. Also looks like it feeds +12V into a +12V regulator, which is pointless and/or inadvisable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, AwkwardPotato said:

Not trying to rain on everyone's parade, but the board design for this power supply is questionable. All the trace widths are 0.18mm -- under the normal operating conditions of the 4A, some of the traces are going to heat up by ~20ºC, and the voltages the motherboard gets are going to be noticeably lower than they should be (possibly causing instability). The traces should really be double that width *at minimum*. Also looks like it feeds +12V into a +12V regulator, which is pointless and/or inadvisable.

Stuff I just don't consider...  Thanks for the warnings!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, AwkwardPotato said:

If anyone is planning on designing a similar board that is not "questionable" on trace size or regulation, and will work with the MeanWell power supply, I have one request... a 5v power tap so if the user chooses, they can connect a USB power port.  Why?  Because it this day and age USB power plugged devices are ubiquitous and having a port on the TI itself could be very useful in the future, if not now.  (For example a VGA to HDMI converter)

Edited by Omega-TI
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:37 AM, Omega-TI said:

If anyone is planning on designing a similar board that is not "questionable" on trace size or regulation, and will work with the MeanWell power supply, I have one request... a 5v power tap so if the user chooses, they can connect a USB power port.  Why?  Because it this day and age USB power plugged devices are ubiquitous and having a port on the TI itself could be very useful in the future, if not now.  (For example a VGA to HDMI converter)

i did a instructional in one of my newsletters (Volume 2, No. 4) of how to add a USB charging port to the existing TI power suppler.

Shift838_News_Letter_V2N4.pdf

I've asked Arcadeshoper to put one together for me, I plan on using it outside the console, to power motherboards outside the case.

The PCBs I order, I asked for double copper thickness.

Further, there are like a maximum of six traces, worse case I can solder some fairly stout solid core wire to replace all the traces, and track them to the board with hot glue.

None of that should of course discourage anyone from creating a better mouse trap.

d.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dhe said:

I've asked Arcadeshoper to put one together for me, I plan on using it outside the console, to power motherboards outside the case.

The PCBs I order, I asked for double copper thickness.

Further, there are like a maximum of six traces, worse case I can solder some fairly stout solid core wire to replace all the traces, and track them to the board with hot glue.

None of that should of course discourage anyone from creating a better mouse trap.

d.

I use one of these to power my all in one 4A/PEB in a pc for the 99/4A.  I also have to power up external 99/4A boards as well.

HERE

And I'm making a 3D case for it too.

Edited by Shift838