IGNORED

WTB: Commodore 1084/1902

mozartpc27

So it looks like my Commodore 1084 monitor is either fried or on its very last legs.  I would think of moving away from that particular format, but from what I can read alternatives that provide full service for a 128 are hard to come by and tend to be as expensive.   I would really appreciate anyone who could point me in the direction of a working 1084 or 1902.

Edited by mozartpc27

I will add that of course if I can reliably fix the one that I have that would be fantastic too.  In addition to the one I have (a 1084) that is semi-working, I also have an old 1084S.  That one didn't last long at all after I purchased it, so I took that one to be repaired, but supposedly the issue was a Flyback transformer, and I was basically informed flyback transformers for these monitors were effectively unobtanium.  On that one, the picture cut out and never came back.

On the semi-working one I am now looking to replace, the picture is cutting out, although it comes back - unfortunately the cutting out is becoming more frequent, and the time to come back is taking longer, so I suspect the same issue - a failing flyback transformer.  If you have any expertise/experience with this, does it sound right?  If so, I am not sure what is to be done about a failed/failing flyback.  I still have the other one I could fix, if it were fixable.

I can also add, by way of information, that on the one I have currently that semi-works, the problem is much more pronounced, it seems, if I use the "Wi-Fly" modem, which I have had for a few years now and that was developed by and purchased from a user on another board.  But I am not sure if it is the modem itself or running DesTerm.  When I have the modem plugged in and run DesTerm, it seems the problem is more likely to occur, and it takes longer for the monitor to recover when it does.  For example, this afternoon I used DesTerm briefly, and while it worked during that process the monitor cut out soon after and did not seem to be on its way back, prompting this post.  Now, I have it unplugged, and while the monitor cut out once, it restored itself immediately, and has been stable since.

This follows a pattern I noticed on Thanksgiving, when I tried to use DesTerm and the problem was bad (I was actually attempting to post on this very forum from my 128 but couldn't get the monitor to work long enough to allow it), then later just used GEOS and it was fine.  At that time I do not believe I bothered unplugging the modem, as I have done now.

Could all be a coincidence I suppose, but since the modem is obviously using radio waves, my limited technical knowledge has me wondering about RF shielding and the like.

Edited by mozartpc27

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Commodore 8 bit hardware since most of it came out. I have had consistent bad "luck" with the 1084 and it's variants. I  have gotten much better service from the Commodore 1080 monitor with both an Amiga, and the C-128. The 1080 does not have stereo sound output, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I even prefer the 2002 to the 1084. I generally have much better performance from the 2002, and rarely have any problems.

The problems I see most on the 1084, are bad flyback, and the on/off switch failing - there are others, but these two seem to happen a lot!

So, I would recommend changing the monitor you use.

If you go with the 1902, they work rather well, but be careful of the 1902a - they usually aren't as sharp, and can have problems.

Edited by motrucker

23 hours ago, motrucker said:

I've been using Commodore 8 bit hardware since most of it came out. I have had consistent bad "luck" with the 1084 and it's variants. I  have gotten much better service from the Commodore 1080 monitor with both an Amiga, and the C-128. The 1080 does not have stereo sound output, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I even prefer the 2002 to the 1084. I generally have much better performance from the 2002, and rarely have any problems.

The problems I see most on the 1084, are bad flyback, and the on/off switch failing - there are others, but these two seem to happen a lot!

So, I would recommend changing the monitor you use.

If you go with the 1902, they work rather well, but be careful of the 1902a - they usually aren't as sharp, and can have problems.

Thank you for all of this advice.  I appreciate it; I am taking my time looking into various options.

• 4 weeks later...

bluejay over in SoCal has been trying to get rid of a (broken) 1902A for a while. Eventually he'll have to toss it.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315227-broken-1902a-monitor-with-video-cables/

Then again you already got a broken 1084 so another broken monitor is of little use even if you'd happen to live next door to him.

18 hours ago, carlsson said:

For an overview of Commodore monitors, the original manufacturers and which chassis is used on each:

https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

This is very overrated site, specially if you are looking for a user's manual. Lodes of holes. You are better off searching for the PDF manual on sites like DLH Bombjack.

None of these will help finding a used monitor though.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:36 PM, bluejay said:

@mozartpc27 If your CRT is still functional I can give you my broken 1902a monitor for free; the only thing that's broken in mine is the CRT itself; everything else works fine.

I appreciate the offer.  For now my 1084 is hanging in there and the 1084S I have had waiting for a new flyback transformer is in good hands awaiting the repair.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the issue with my first monitor, the 1084, continues: it will occasionally effectively lose the picture, but if I tap it lightly on the top or side, most of the time I can get the picture back.  

I haven't pulled it apart just yet, because it had been stable and because I had a second monitor, an old 1084S, that I sent off for repairs to the inimitable Ray Carlsen; it had a flyback that had flybroke, which he did indeed replace and repair; but alas, upon its return to me, it had developed a new issue: when I plug it in, if I get any response from the screen (which eventually I did get an all white screen), I got an overwhelming smell of something similar to burning matches, but slightly sweeter (I think?) and definitely less pleasant. Ozone? I did pull the back cover off of that one as far as I could, and I did not see any indication that the seal to the tube was singed, cracked, or otherwise unsealed. Anyone with any ideas?

I am researching what might be available around my neck of the woods (southeastern PA) by way of repair shops that still deal with these things. Would love to wind up with two working monitors, but I'll settle for one reliable one. Monitors make me nervous to work around, hence the outsourcing.

Any guidance on either one is as always appreciated. Or if you have a lead on an inexpensive-ish "new" one, I'll take that too.

This is where having a local Commodore User Group would be awfully handy.

Edited by mozartpc27

I'm not qualified in monitor repair, but the first one kind of sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere if you can tap it back into operation. The challenge would be to figure out where.

The second monitor, my first thought was a filter capacitor but it would emit smoke and the smell would be bad. Hopefully you can find someone local who feels qualified in doing some troubleshooting and repair. As you know, rather high voltages are generated so one should tread carefully and have ways to discharge it. Someone who is specialized in fixing old CRT TVs probably would be suitable, and fortunately there are enough service manuals, schematics etc around for these monitors to not operate in the blind. Given that old CRTs are becoming popular again, I would assume there are people taking on repairs for those if the skills remain.

• 3 weeks later...

So let me give you all the final resolution to my posts on this topic, and if you are from the vague area of SE PA, you may want to pay particular attention.  I just had such a positive experience I feel the need to share on here with anybody who might be in my area and has an old Commodore monitor that may be broken or need some help.  I have a 1084S that had the sharpest and most beautiful picture I'd ever seen on a CRT monitor when I got it some 7-8 years ago, but I only had it for a few months when the picture went out, in what was finally diagnosed as a fried flyback.

If you have a Commodore monitor for your Commodore computer, you know these are starting to get old and expensive to replace. 7-8 years ago replace is what I did - I wound up getting a 1084 that I paid around $150 or so for plus $50 to ship. Today you'd be lucky to get a 1084 for $450 with shipping and tax, and I watched a 1084S go for $660 at the end of 2020 on eBay.

My replacement 1084 was starting to have problems with keeping the picture (something must be loose on the inside), and that led directly to me making the original post in this thread, but seeing how much these things were fetching these days made me think about taking another shot at getting it repaired . I first contacted Ray Carlsen, who said he could get a replacement flyback for it (when it had first broken years ago I had taken it to a place relatively local to me then in south Jersey, and was told basically that this part was unobtainium in 2014). So I shipped it off to him, and he replaced it and had it working, and shipped it back. Unfortunately, somewhere in that process, a new problem arose, and by the time I got it it produced no picture and smelled of burning.

I live in the northern Philadelphia suburbs. I called around looking for what I thought must exist, some older fella who must have used to work on these who was still in business, no doubt doing other things, but who would remember enough about the old days to have a poke around. It was hard to find. Finally only one shop even agreed to take a look: Carl's TV & Vacuum in Lansdale, PA.

The guy who worked on it for me (Mike) was extremely patient and helpful, and though he was unsure he would be able to do much with it, he was game. In the end, he got it working again, good as new, with that beautiful sharp old CRT picture. Now it sits on my desk proudly. It was a lot of fun and even he seemed to get a kick out of it.

So here are my plugs: if you have anything Commodore, give Ray Carlsen an email. He is quick, reasonable in his pricing, and knows Commodore like no one else.   But y'all knew that already.

But if you live in SE PA or somewhere even within a few hours' drive and you have some old Commodore monitors that could use some repair - and given the prices they fetch, fixing them is worth it! - Carl's TV and Vacuum is a place that will do great work. Ask for Mike!