IGNORED

8bitdo brand of controllers any good?

Keatah

Simply want to get some opinions on the 8bitdo brand. Are their controllers any good? Any faults or annoyances? I never used them and want some comments on experiences. Interested in lag times over BT connection and ease of configuration.

More specifically I intend to use them on some modern PC games, plenty of vintage PC games, and (naturally!) a variety of emus. Have this model in mind: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=8bitdo+sn30+black&ref=nb_sb_noss

I own the SNES30, the SN30 Pro, and the SN30 Pro+. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best 3rd party controller you're gonna get. I use the first two with my Super NT and the last one (the Pro+) with my Switch. They have very good build quality, and all the most recent ones (Pro and Pro+) use USB-C rather than micro USB. (I think all their stuff is USB C now.)

I personally can't feel any lag time when using them with the Switch or the SNES Bluetooth receiver, but I'm also not very sensitive to that. 

I haven't done a lot of configuration with the controllers myself, but the SN30 Pro+ has a special piece of software that offers vast configuration. (They call it "ULTIMATE SOFTWARE.)

https://support.8bitdo.com/ultimate-software.html

I would say it's a really great choice and very versatile as they work with just damn near anything if you have Bluetooth. They're also pretty easy to update the firmware. I personally recommend them, but you might get a few more opinions as I'm pretty easy to satisfy in this regard. lol

8BitDo is absolute trash. Stay FAR away unless it's the M30 2.4g. I wrote about my experiences with their controllers a while ago in the TurboGrafx thread:

I have since stopped using them completely with the sole exception of the M30 2.4g. That controller is excellent. I'd rather put up with the short cables on my SFC controllers than use the SN30 and SF30, so I put them back in their boxes and put the boxes somewhere.

I am getting one of their controllers next week, however, as there is one included with the Nt mini Noir that Analogue FINALLY decided to ship to me. I am looking forward to seeing if 8BitDo has learned how d-pads are supposed to work!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I've never used an 8bitdo product but most of what I've heard seems to be pretty positive. 

They're releasing (or maybe already have) and arcade-style controller which intrigues me a bit because I'd love to have an arcade controller that doesn't need a cord running across the floor for my toddler to trip on.  It was several months ago I decided I had a use for such a thing and assumed there would be a million options out there but I was a bit surprised that such a thing does not appear to be very common.  I think it's because those types of sticks tend to cater to the needs of the fighter crowd and they prefer corded connections for minimized input lag.   

Nice to see I'm not alone in not being pleased, just not the same reasoning as mine is all about batteries.

I've had their wireless adapter they put out for the SNES pad that went to match the SuperNT and the controller too, before that by a year the NES 30 pro with the NES style but dual analogs that would work on Switch.  In both cases I found the battery life a disappointment, especially on the SNES receiver and also the NES controller too.  The SNES receiver wasn't the bigger issue, the NES controller was.  It would refuse to keep a charge for much time and you'd have to tell it more than once to power off, or it would just appear off but suck the life out of it too.  I felt like I was consistently charging them for vastly more time than I was using any of it so I dumped them all on ebay so some fanboy could enjoy them.  I was just happy they didn't get returned.

• Like 1

I have both the GameCube/Classic Controller to Switch wireless convertor and the USB stick Switch convertor, and they work well.

I had the SN30Pro, and I didn't really like it.  It's somewhere in the closet now, but I didn't really like the feel of the joypad.

So I tried the N30 2.4g that came with the Nt mini. Naturally, I tested it by playing Sonic and Gleylancer because Genesis Does and stuff. It seems that 8BitDo has finally figured out how d-pads are supposed to work! The d-pad is stiff, but functional, unlike their previous fake Nintendo controllers. If you need a fake NES or Famicom controller, this one should probably do it. No idea what the battery life is since I only got it yesterday, but it should be pretty decent, like the M30 2.4g's battery, as I believe that the 2.4g versions of their controllers have better battery life than the Bluetooth versions.

I've preferred the Switch Pro Controller whenever I've had the option, but the SN30 Pro+ is arguably the best third-party controller I've ever encountered. I haven't encountered a LOT, mind you, and my frame of reference is basically Mad Catz from the mid-2000s, but still. I think it's solid for the price tag.

My first 8BitDo controller was the Apple-branded NES30 Pro, which is nice but the battery tends to drain itself quickly when not used. I usually don't play for a long time so I can't comment on the battery life in itself, but every time I want to use it I have to charge it first. And it was sometimes a pita to sync it back with the Switch. :( I didn't have the same problem with the M30 though, which is one of my favorite controller to hold, even though it's not completely convenient (in terms of buttons layout) on Switch.

• Like 1

I have a SN30 Pro, and I do like it. Haven't had any connectivity, battery or latency issues with it, and I've used it on PC, RetroPie, my smartphone, and my Switch. They nailed the overall look and feel of the thing, from the colors to the textures and buttons. My only gripe with it is that it feels sorta weird to hold compared to a real corded SNES controller. Using the extra L2/R2 buttons causes my big stupid hands to slip off the controller. Playing it as a regular SNES pad, it works fine. I sorta wish I got the Pro + with the Playstation-like grips instead.

Now that I think about it, the Retro-Bit Sega 2.4 GHz wireless controllers are the ones that I have problems with the batteries dying when not in use. Too bad, as I like having a wireless Saturn controller that also works on Genesis/Mega Drive/Mega Sg and the controllers themselves are extremely nice. I don't recall ever having the M30 2.4g battery kill itself when not in use. Maybe it's something with 8BitDo's Bluetooth models specifically, in their case. I'll pay attention to the 2 8BitDo controllers that I do use (both 2.4g models) to see if they do anything strange now that it's been mentioned twice here, but I've honestly never had a problem with them doing that.

I kind of stopped using the M30 2.4g when I got my Nomad, as that is my primary Genesis/MD now, but I'll try using that controller some more on the Mega Sg just to see what happens with the battery, as this makes me curious.

30 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I had the problem with the earlier NES 30 Pro, not the M30. I recently used the M30 after a long time and the battery was not depleted, which was surprising to me.

I had to check to see which one that is since they are all called the N30 for some dumb reason... turns out I have that one! Well, the Pro 2 version, anyway, but I forgot where I put it. I haven't used it for probably a year or so now because I can never get it to connect to the Switch and the sticks on it like to not recenter themselves. It was like that when I got it.

I have no idea what's with their batteries, but do I suppose that kills my theory that it is something to do with the Bluetooth ones if the M30 (not 2.4g) is good.

I also just realized the SF30 Pro is sitting here on my desk, unused and uncharged for about a year or so... it's pretty dusty, but somehow I managed to pair it to my Switch just now (that in itself is quite remarkable, as for the entire first year I had it I could only get it to connect on the first day that I had it and then nothing for a year. Stopped trying to use it after that...) and the battery indicator thingy on the Switch is full. It doesn't say what percent exactly, but it shows full. Interesting...

On 12/6/2020 at 12:34 AM, KeeperofLindblum said:

I own the SNES30, the SN30 Pro, and the SN30 Pro+. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best 3rd party controller you're gonna get. I use the first two with my Super NT and the last one (the Pro+) with my Switch. They have very good build quality, and all the most recent ones (Pro and Pro+) use USB-C rather than micro USB. (I think all their stuff is USB C now.)

I've got all three of these, too, as well as the arcade stick.  I always recommend this brand whenever someone asks about 3rd party gamepads.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, roots.genoa said:

I had the problem with the earlier NES 30 Pro, not the M30. I recently used the M30 after a long time and the battery was not depleted, which was surprising to me.

Then that's what I had the early NES 30 Pro, that's the NES looking but snes controller like shaped device with the dual analogs correct?  That damn thing was always thirsty and dead if I didn't charge it consistently because if it sat for a couple days or more, it was a paperweight.  Between that and the rapid decline in charge on the wireless SNES module that came with my SuperNT I got entirely turned off to their products.

IF there is something of theirs that doesn't suck ass on battery nor lags due to bluetooth (or works over USB) I'd buy it again as a be all end all for a PC controller.  The 360 usb controller I have is fine, but it sucks when playing vintage games, and the gravis pro (ps1 non-analog style) controller I have is fine but doesn't feel right either, just less wrong.  It's a shame the NES30 pro I had was so garbage, I think it could just qualify as a total single use if it hadn't been annoying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That damn thing was always thirsty and dead if I didn't charge it consistently because if it sat for a couple days or more, it was a paperweight.

Funny you mention this because I could turn mine, which is sitting right in front of me now, in a literal paperweight since the metal base is really heavy:

ap40.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this controller advertised by Castlemania, and I figured I would mention it as several of you didn't like the 8bitdo.

Think of it as an alternative~

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-bit-legacy16-2-4ghz-wireless-controller-black

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-bit-legacy16-2-4ghz-wireless-controller-grey

On 12/6/2020 at 2:34 AM, KeeperofLindblum said:

I personally can't feel any lag time when using them with the Switch or the SNES Bluetooth receiver, but I'm also not very sensitive to that. 

I haven't done a lot of configuration with the controllers myself, but the SN30 Pro+ has a special piece of software that offers vast configuration. (They call it "ULTIMATE SOFTWARE.)

https://support.8bitdo.com/ultimate-software.html

I would say it's a really great choice and very versatile as they work with just damn near anything if you have Bluetooth. They're also pretty easy to update the firmware. I personally recommend them, but you might get a few more opinions as I'm pretty easy to satisfy in this regard. lol

@OP, My son has the SN30 Pro, and I Love that thing. YOu can game with Switch AND Android, and more, so it's a great deal. I just bought the sn30 Pro Plus for myself, as it has analog triggers!

@KeeperofLindblum, I am trying to get my Note 20 Ultra set up w/ 8bitdo's Touch Emulation, have you done that? I am using a Mac, but having problems with the software seeing my phone. Just wondering if you have any input. Thanks!

On 1/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, funkpod said:

@KeeperofLindblum, I am trying to get my Note 20 Ultra set up w/ 8bitdo's Touch Emulation, have you done that? I am using a Mac, but having problems with the software seeing my phone. Just wondering if you have any input. Thanks!

Afraid I haven't used the Touch Emulation feature at all. :(

• Like 1

Honestly I cannot personally complain, I have several controllers for both my Analogue Super NT, Mega SG and AVS...as well as raspberry pi and mini consoles.  They all work flawlessly as far as I have been able to tell especially on the games I am very familiar and "sensitive" to!!