IGNORED

8bitdo brand of controllers any good?

Keatah

I do not like the 8bitdo SNES-style Dpad. They got it exactly right on the N30 for Switch and N30 2.4g for original NES. The M30 dpad is a perfect replica of a Sega D-pad. But the two SN30 2.4g that I own and my SN30 Pro + all have issues with diagonal on the d-pad. I've given up looking for third-party SNES controllers and just use originals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I do not like the 8bitdo SNES-style Dpad. They got it exactly right on the N30 for Switch and N30 2.4g for original NES. The M30 dpad is a perfect replica of a Sega D-pad. But the two SN30 2.4g that I own and my SN30 Pro + all have issues with diagonal on the d-pad. I've given up looking for third-party SNES controllers and just use originals. 

I heard they fixed the SN30 2.4g/SF30 2.4g d-pads to not be total trash. I suppose it really doesn't matter now since they are discontinued and out of stock, though. I gave up on the Bluetooth versions and use SFC controllers since that's what's available to me, but that also means that I am stuck with 1 meter controller cables.

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I heard they fixed the SN30 2.4g/SF30 2.4g d-pads to not be total trash. I suppose it really doesn't matter now since they are discontinued and out of stock, though. I gave up on the Bluetooth versions and use SFC controllers since that's what's available to me, but that also means that I am stuck with 1 meter controller cables.

I heard that, too, but I got one from Amazon in August or September and it is no better. I kept it because it's fine for certain types of games, but I can't do fireballs or dragon punches or even reliably jump diagonally in Street Fighter II. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

I heard that, too, but I got one from Amazon in August or September and it is no better. I kept it because it's fine for certain types of games, but I can't do fireballs or dragon punches or even reliably jump diagonally in Street Fighter II. 

Seems I didn't miss anything other than less latency that I can't notice and slightly less huge receivers, then. I do wonder if they will replace them with another model of controller. It is interesting that they were only on the market for about 6 months before being discontinued, but there's not much point in thinking about it now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Genesis/Megadrive

The M30 pad is really excellent, though I prefer the Krikkz Joyzz for wireless Megadrive gaming.  That's just personal preference though, the M30 has an excellent dpad and slightly better build quality (and a convenient home button for use with the Mega SG).

NES/FC

The NES30 pad was horrible with a mushy and inaccurate dpad, but the N30 is a huge step up and quite nice.  The dpad is still a bit uncomfortable due primarily to its smooth and somewhat slippery surface, but it's not a bad choice (I definitely prefer the RetroUSB wireless pad, though it does take some getting used to).

SNES/SFC

Their first attempt (SNES30) had one of the worst dpads I've ever used; it feels fine at first, but controls nothing like an actual SNES controller.  Playing any game that relies on diagonals, or even quickly switching from horizontal to vertical movement and vice versa is an exercise in frustration.

Their newer controller (SN30) is a huge improvement, but still far from ideal.  Switching from horizontal to vertical movement and vice versa works just like on a genuine SNES controller, but I found that diagonals require slightly more pressure to activate than directionals.  This is actually not much of a problem on most games (specifically, side scrollers and RPGs)... however, for me anyway, it makes games that require accurate diagonals (such as shmups like Gradius or Parodius) impossible to play with any precision.  This could also explain why @derFunkenstein had trouble pulling off moves in SF2.

I eventually just paired a PS3 controller with my 8bitdo Bluetooth retro receiver for playing SNES games, and it's actually a significant improvement (even though I am not a fan of the PS controller dpad).

Edited by newtmonkey

Sorry for the double-post everyone, my edit time has expired.

Just some additional info:

The dpad on N30 is otherwise great, with accurate directionals and no problems when playing shmups, etc.  It feels a bit mushy compared with a genuine NES/FC pad, but not bad at all.

The 8bitdo Bluetooth (NOT 2.4g) "retro receivers" (i.e. used for connecting controllers to actual consoles) can be paired with lots of modern Bluetooth controllers, including PS3/4 and Xbox 360/ONE controllers—and even the Wiimote w/classic controller attached.  I dug my Wiimote out from storage and got it connected without a problem, and I'll probably be using this with my Super NT from now on; very nice controller with a very accurate dpad (really, it is clearly designed for use with SNES games) and the Wiimote apparently only has something like <5 ms of input latency over Bluetooth.

In summary, while I can't recommend any of the the 8bitdo SNES/SFC controllers, I CAN recommend their Bluetooth retro receiver paired with either a Dual Shock 3/4 or Wiimote & classic controller!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like their sn30pro and sn30pro+.

My kid has the sn30 pro, and I love it because of the retro styling and feel. I went w/ the sn30pro+ because with my bigger phone, I needed bigger grips to help support my phone. That, and it has analog triggers, so I can emulate gamecube games properly. 

They're great controllers!

Anyone have experience with the d-pad feel when using one of 8BitDo's conversion kits for original SNES controllers or SNES Classic Edition (SNES Mini) controllers?

The internal board itself is 8BitDo, but the rest is the original 1st party controller. So I'm curious if the hybrid works better, but have only ever seen YouTube videos from channels that received review kits and which possibly didn't fully put the end result through its paces before declaring it a success (Never a post from say someone here at AtariAge that has had 1st hand experience with the end result and has put extensive time on the converted controller).

I bought a second SNES Classic Edition on sale when they were still available a couple of years ago in part to have an extra controller to convert it with the 8BitDo kit to a wireless controller, but never did. I had concerns if the d-pad would be any better so had hoped to see more reports on the quality of the kit, the cost of the conversion kit was a fair bit more than the new 2.4g controller with receiver would cost (I'd of had to buy a standalone receiver if I bought the conversion kit), and last I looked they still only offered the kit in Bluetooth form rather than their lower lag 2.4 technology.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I've had mixed results with 8bitdo. I had the SN30 bluetooth controllers that released with the Super Nt did, and while they felt great the d-pad was not good. I tried all the fixes that people have posted online and couldn't ever get it to not have tons of unintended diagonals. I got the M30 2.4Ghz for the Mega Sg, and was very happy with it. I got the new SN30 2.4Ghz controllers last year for my Super Nt, and while not perfect the d-pad was much improved on both of the samples I got. It's not as good as an original SNES controller, but it's close enough for me to not really have an issue with it. I also have the N30 Arcade stick which was okay. I replaced the stick and buttons and it was a passable stick. I am interested in the newer 8bitdo Arcade Stick since it has a 2.4Ghz option and provides better options for modding.

My initial experience was a bit meh, but since then I've been much happier.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Atariboy said:

I bought a second SNES Classic Edition on sale when they were still available a couple of years ago in part to have an extra controller to convert it with the 8BitDo kit to a wireless controller, but never did. I had concerns if the d-pad would be any better so had hoped to see more reports on the quality of the kit, the cost of the conversion kit was a fair bit more than the new 2.4g controller with receiver would cost (I'd of had to buy a standalone receiver if I bought the conversion kit), and last I looked they still only offered the kit in Bluetooth form rather than their lower lag 2.4 technology.

As an aside -- if you were looking to use it on the Switch, the 8bitdo Gbros wireless adapter is nice -- it turns any "classic controller" plug into a wireless controller.  Bluetooth, of course...

At the risk of getting off topic -- Nintendo's official wireless SNES controller is nice.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 12:32 AM, DavidD said:

As an aside -- if you were looking to use it on the Switch, the 8bitdo Gbros wireless adapter is nice -- it turns any "classic controller" plug into a wireless controller.  Bluetooth, of course...

At the risk of getting off topic -- Nintendo's official wireless SNES controller is nice.

Does it work with the 8bitdo Bluetooth receiver? If so I might have to give it a go. 

I revisited the 8bitdo 2.4g N30 controller (NES), and have to revise my thoughts.  I originally posted:

On 2/1/2021 at 5:07 PM, newtmonkey said:

The dpad on N30 is otherwise great, with accurate directionals and no problems when playing shmups, etc.  It feels a bit mushy compared with a genuine NES/FC pad, but not bad at all.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, because I just tried it again and the diagonals require noticeably more pressure to activate accurately than the directionals. It's perfectly fine for platformers, but I found it somewhat painful for playing anything requiring 8-way movement (shmups especially).  This seems to be a common issue with their latest dpads (which are otherwise excellent), though the M30 (Genesis/Megadrive) for some reason is awesome.

---

I'd still recommend getting their bluetooth receivers though.  They can be paired with a Wiimote, which means you can use the excellent Wii classic controller, or even splurge a bit and get some Raphnet adapters to use original controllers.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, derFunkenstein said:

Does it work with the 8bitdo Bluetooth receiver? If so I might have to give it a go. 

Er... now I'm not sure.

The GBros lets you use any GameCube/Classic controller as a wireless Switch controller OR a wired USB controller.  It has computer support too, I believe.

It seems like it SHOULD connect to the USB receiver, but I've never tested it as I've always just linked directly via Bluetooth.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:59 PM, DavidD said:

Er... now I'm not sure.

The GBros lets you use any GameCube/Classic controller as a wireless Switch controller OR a wired USB controller.  It has computer support too, I believe.

It seems like it SHOULD connect to the USB receiver, but I've never tested it as I've always just linked directly via Bluetooth.

Oh wait I might be able to answer this myself. The SNES Retro Receiver has Switch controller compatibility so it should be fine. I'll have to get one (since I have a Switch online sub) and try it out. 

• 5 months later...

New development!

Nintendo released Wiimote SFC controllers back in the day on the Club Nintendo service, and you can still get them brand new in the box for around 3000 yen on Amazon Japan.  These controllers are absolutely perfect, they feel just like original SNES/SFC contollers in every way, with excellent, accurate d-pads.

Plug one of these into a wiimote, and pair it with an 8bitdo SNES receiver, and you are playing your SNES or Super NT with an actual SFC controller with only minor lag (as someone who is very sensitive to lag, I don't feel a thing).  A bit pricey since you need a working wiimote and would have to import the controller if outside of Japan, but preferable to the 8bitdo SNES controllers.  Definitely my preferred wireless controller now for SNES/SFC/Super NT.

[EDIT]

Now I'm curious.  I know the NES/SNES classic mini controller ports are the same as on the Wiimote.  I wonder if one of those controllers is compatible with the Wiimote?  Has anyone tried?

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, newtmonkey said:

Nintendo released Wiimote SFC controllers back in the day on the Club Nintendo service, and you can still get them brand new in the box for around 3000 yen on Amazon Japan. 

I have one of those. My idiot roommate in the Marines spilled alcohol on it when he used it and the buttons are sticky. I was... most displeased. He discovered how displeased I was. Maybe I should clean it (~11 years later lol) and try it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

New development!

Nintendo released Wiimote SFC controllers back in the day on the Club Nintendo service, and you can still get them brand new in the box for around 3000 yen on Amazon Japan.  These controllers are absolutely perfect, they feel just like original SNES/SFC contollers in every way, with excellent, accurate d-pads.

Plug one of these into a wiimote, and pair it with an 8bitdo SNES receiver, and you are playing your SNES or Super NT with an actual SFC controller with only minor lag (as someone who is very sensitive to lag, I don't feel a thing).  A bit pricey since you need a working wiimote and would have to import the controller if outside of Japan, but preferable to the 8bitdo SNES controllers.  Definitely my preferred wireless controller now for SNES/SFC/Super NT.

[EDIT]

Now I'm curious.  I know the NES/SNES classic mini controller ports are the same as on the Wiimote.  I wonder if one of those controllers is compatible with the Wiimote?  Has anyone tried?

Technically, the SNES CE had 2 of those 'wiimote' snes controllers in every box.  I lucked into someone selling a pair of them like a complete tool at a flea market a month ago for $5 total. :D  I recently when it came back into stock bought a raphnet jack for CE <->USB so I intend to try them out on my pc whenever that Japanese package arrives. :D

Just something to consider if anyone has a SNES CE or found loose controllers (or their system somehow croaked.)

Personally though, if you just want to use a SNES controller on a PC anyway, just order the ones meant for hte Switch on their shop currently, it's just USB based to charge it, and it works on computer if you keep it wired.  I'm sure being Nintendo someone will hack it so it'll pick up as bluetooth anyway if it doesn't already on PC.  I wouldn't waste a dime on 8bitdoodoo, never had anything but problems.

4 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

[EDIT]

1) The NES/SNES mini controllers use the Wii remote plug and are compatible.  Wii Classic Controllers all work on the NES/SNES Classic, with the HOME button bringing up the menu -- something you can't do on the standard NES/SNES controllers.

2) The 8bitdo "Gbros" adapter lets you use Wii/Classic controllers directly, without needing a Wii Remote.  You plug the controller into the adapter, which then can connect to the Switch wireless (or wired!).  The Gbros adapter even comes with the Switch Home and Screenshot buttons.

The Gbros is, seriously, the easiest way to use Classic Controllers and GameCube controllers on the Switch.  The ONLY issue is that Wavebird receivers do not fit in the GameCube port -- although you should be able to use an extension cord to get around that.

gbros.thumb.png.4aac6ed7bad0ca3bc5660288bb051c01.png

https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

Edited by DavidD
  • Thanks 2

Since this thread has been bumped, I thought I'd offer up my limited 8BitDo experience. I first bought the M30 2.4g controller for the Sega Genesis and loved it. It's now one of my favorite controllers to use and I intend to buy a second soon. This next time it will be the one sold with the USB receiver (Which you can't buy separately) so I can enjoy this great controller on other platforms like the PC and Sega Genesis Mini (And a future MiSTer and Switch when I make the jump).

My second and most recent purchase was their TurboGrafx-16 Mini controller, which I bought back in I think January. My TG16 Mini was unhooked so I quickly tested it out with the Stella emulator on my PC when I received it and thought everything was okay. Fast forward a few months later when I got the itch to play some TG16 games, where I quickly discovered that the average rightward press of the d-pad was triggering a right/down diagonal input.

Apparently I must've chosen poorly what 2600 game I had tested it with (Must've been one with just left and right movement...), since the d-pad was absolutely useless for anything like shooters. And of course I was past the return window, so I bought another in the hope it had a decent d-pad. Luckily it did and I was able to return the dud in its place. 

With the latter experience still fresh in my mind, I'm not convinced they're quite there to perfecting every new controller that they put out. But I do know I love their M30 2.4g model and highly recommend it, and I'm overall pleased enough where I intend to acquire more of their controllers. In fact when I buy a Switch, it will likely only be used with 8BitDo accessories (I want to buy their arcade stick and their latest Pro 2 gamepad in lieu of the 1st party Pro Controller when I get a Switch).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3