IGNORED

"Dragonfly" preorder

rj1307

15 hours ago, Fadest said:

Thanks.

Silly question : in order to play an original cartridge or 2600 cartridge on the console, do we need to replug the power supply, or can the Dragonfly act as power through, even if not plugged in the console ?

The question is not stupid at all;)
Maybe just load some game and then the cartridge will allow power to the console. But with the next software update I will do it easier, turning on the cartridge with the ESC button pressed will turn on the power for the console :)

6 hours ago, Special Teams said:

One red with pokey please.  Is this all I need to be able to immediately plug it in and play 7800 ROMs?  Console isn't modded in any way.

Yes, even the Basic version alone is enough to run the vast majority of games.

40 minutes ago, ziggystar said:

I want one. Basic, assuming it will take an original pokey chip right?

Yes, you can insert your own Pokey chip and enable it in the Menu.

13 minutes ago, zezba9000 said:

Ya think I'll probably go with red but would be cool to see close ups of the purple/pink color in the same lighting.

I will try to take photos in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

I figured you'd just get rid of the voltage regulator circuit all together and just get 4.0A 5V supply.  They are a dime a dozen these days, because of LED strips and rPI's, etc!

Well as the DF cart controls some of the power to the console itself, I will stick with the dc-dc regulator in my 7800 as it is. Strange enough I still have a stock power port on my 7800 and use my original 7800 PSU from back in '88 with it. But that does seem to be the in thing all the cool kids are doing now right? Just wiring up USB C ports and the like and power from phone chargers?

I would like the Dragonfly (red), POKEY Max, and YM2151 options. Thank you.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the power. I get that the cartridge plugs into the back of the 7800, but then what do you plug into the cartridge to power both? The standard Atari 7800 power supply?

Edited by Bill Loguidice

6 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Also, I'm a bit confused about the power. I get that the cartridge plugs into the back of the 7800, but then what do you plug into the cartridge to power both? The standard Atari 7800 power supply?

This was mentioned above and also in the manual.

The dragonfly will require a separate PSU that will in the end power both the cart and the console. But it does NOT use the current 7800 PSU to power the DF cart. I requires a 9v 1.5A or better power supply with a 2.1x5.5mm barrel jack center tip positive polarity.

The DF cart will come with a cable to plug from the DF to the 7800's normal power port, but the DF cart itself will not use the 7800 PSU.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The cart has a small cable that goes from the cart to the console... you have to purchase a PSU seperately to plug into the cart... which powers both the cart and console. I think. 

45 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This was mentioned above and also in the manual.

The dragonfly will require a separate PSU that will in the end power both the cart and the console. But it does NOT use the current 7800 PSU to power the DF cart. I requires a 9v 1.5A or better power supply with a 2.1x5.5mm barrel jack center tip positive polarity.

The DF cart will come with a cable to plug from the DF to the 7800's normal power port, but the DF cart itself will not use the 7800 PSU.

So basically a power supply like this? (seems like I've bought these for many modern projects these days): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q2E5IXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

4 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

So basically a power supply like this? (seems like I've bought these for many modern projects these days): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q2E5IXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

I'm not familiar with the brand but it looks to be a switching regulator supply so that +12v will likely remain +12 even with a load on it. I'm sure the DF cart has been built to handle that but would need @rj1307 to confirm that is okay. The rest of the specs aside from the voltage do seem to match what is in the manual yes.