IGNORED

"Dragonfly" preorder

rj1307

7 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

Do you suggest waiting for the version that contains Pokey support or should I just buy the current one for sale? I ask because I’ve been gone for quite some time, and I am unaware of how many hombrew releases (since my absence) 

support the Pokey chip. 

The DF cart supports the standard pokey chip. That was an option when purchasing a DF was no pokey or YM module so that you could supply your own pokey if you wanted. So if you have a pokey that you can use, you can put that into the DF cart and operate fine. You just wouldn't have the ability to set the DF in dual pokey mode or use the COVOX stuff that perhaps others will develop for later down the line.

It might even work with Batari's upcoming HOKEY chip but until those are made available to the general public, we won't know that for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The DF cart supports the standard pokey chip. That was an option when purchasing a DF was no pokey or YM module so that you could supply your own pokey if you wanted. So if you have a pokey that you can use, you can put that into the DF cart and operate fine. You just wouldn't have the ability to set the DF in dual pokey mode or use the COVOX stuff that perhaps others will develop for later down the line.

Thank you, Crossbow - I really appreciate the clarification. It looks like I’ll be buying the version that’s in-stock! ??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It might even work with Batari's upcoming HOKEY chip but until those are made available to the general public, we won't know that for sure.

DF should work with a HOKEY chip. No reason I can think of why it wouldn't.

Dual POKEY should also work. For compatibility with existing dual POKEY stuff, some wiring may need to be done to connect the HOKEY's A4 pin to wherever the POKEYMax A4 pin connects to.

However, HOKEY can support dual POKEY without needing that extra pin, and it works on existing hardware where connecting A4 isn't practical and to support existing POKEY boards and hardware. More details to come about this in time. It is possible to update game code to support both methods of dual POKEY simultaneously with minor changes to game code.

As far as COVOX goes, as I understand, it's a simplistic PCM device that has has no buffer or output oscillator. The HOKEY's PCM/ADPCM output driver employs a ring buffer and output oscillator for easier 7800 programming, but I suppose I can allow the buffer and oscillator to be shut off if reverse-compatibility with COVOX is desired. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is a piece of technological wizardry! Thank you RJ1307 for such an amazingly fast turn around time! I thought I had the correct power supply, mine was center negative. Not a big deal, the correct one is on the way. Cannot wait to fire this baby up in the 7800! FYI - I think the burgundy looks great in person.

20210814_140112.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully my burgundy DF will arrive soon too. I know it's shipping from Poland, but I also pre-ordered the Atari 8-bit game Flob, which came from Poland and it arrived in less than a week. I just payed for DF on Monday though, so I could get it in a week's time still (not that I'm expecting it to reach me that soon, the 8-bit game was sent special courier)

I am getting the YM board with it, but I have extra Pokey's from already upgrading to Pokeymax in my Atari 8-bit computers, so it'll get a regular Pokey to start with and I'll upgrade to Pokeymax when some games that interest me are released with Pokey stereo sound.

Edited by Gunstar

29 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Hopefully my burgundy DF will arrive soon too. I know it's shipping from Poland, but I also pre-ordered the Atari 8-bit game Flob, which came from Poland and it arrived in less than a week. I just payed for DF on Monday though, so I could get it in a week's time still (not that I'm expecting it to reach me that soon, the 8-bit game was sent special courier)

Mine was sent from Poland on July 29th and arrived yesterday via USPS signature required on August 14th to Florida: 16 days.

678069781_ScreenShot2021-08-15at8_47_33AM.thumb.png.6290fc0b744d70f573f0ea9119a0a4e5.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I am getting the YM board with it, but I have extra Pokey's from already upgrading to Pokeymax in my Atari 8-bit computers, so it'll get a regular Pokey to start with and I'll upgrade to Pokeymax when some games that interest me are released with Pokey stereo sound.

One technical note - a PokeyMax postponed from an Atari XL / XE will only function as mono, like a regular Pokey. To run Dual Pokey and Covox mode, it is necessary to reprogram the PokeyMax. The author of the software is a colleague @foft, and I have not been authorized to publish this version of the program. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, Activision games work with both PAL and NTSC versions.
At the moment, I have reserved the last two copies in the full version (with PokeyMax), but people who were interested in them did not respond to my message. If the situation does not change within a few days, the cartridges will be available.
I have two more ready-made cartridges in the version without PokeyMax, or I can put original Pokey chips into them for 80PLN / $21. 

A computer with any operating system is enough to load games onto an SD card. ;) 

Edited by rj1307
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rj1307 said:

Yes, Activision games work with both PAL and NTSC versions.
At the moment, I have reserved the last two copies in the full version (with PokeyMax), but people who were interested in them did not respond to my message. If the situation does not change within a few days, the cartridges will be available.
I have two more ready-made cartridges in the version without PokeyMax, or I can put original Pokey chips into them for 80PLN / $21. 

A computer with any operating system is enough to load games onto an SD card. ;) 

Ok, then I’d like to order one of the two ready made carts if you can put original Pokey chips in them (or if one of the two PokeyMax are cancelled).

But I don’t have money before after August 20th.

Can you reserve one for me?

I’ll need an NTSC version.

Kind regards.

Edited by Giles N

On 8/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, rj1307 said:

No problem, you have reserved the cartridge, on Saturday I will write whether it will be a version with PokeyMax or with the original Pokey chip. 

Whats the difference between PokeyMax and Pokey chip as to

a) performance/compatibility

b) practical use?

29 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Whats the difference between PokeyMax and Pokey chip as to

a) performance/compatibility

b) practical use?

PokeyMAX will replicate all the needed and expected functions of the original Pokey in regards to sound and music. 

But as the PokeyMAX is an FPGA device, it can be programmed to do more. And that is what @rj1307 has done in this case. The PokeyMAX he is using in the DF carts can also simulate having 2 Pokey chips. This would mean that software programmed to look for this and take advantage of it, could actually use all of the 8 total voices you would have with 2 Pokey chips in addition to the 2 voices from the TIA chip in a 7800. 10 voices total. But the PokeyMAX can also simulate the DAC process that was used under the COVOX speech thing of playing back PCM sample audio. 

In other words, having the PokeyMAX installed, gives you the most flexibility for possible future games and programs being made to take advantage of what it can do through the DF cart.

The Pokey it self will just provide you with all of the standard pokey sound and music only functions that actual 7800 released games like Ballblazer and Commando offered. 

In practical use, a standard pokey is all you would need currently to support running the current games that support it on the 7800. But having the PokeyMAX will ensure that you have that same functionality and more should more developers program their games to take advantage of what it can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Dragonfly arrived yesterday. I got the YM2151 board option and installed my own Pokey last night. I'm very happy this arrived as I only have 3 7800 games, on a PAL system, in the U.S.

Overnight I've gained the entire library! The 7800 is staged in between my two Atari 8-bit systems, using my Dell PC as a stand. I still have to locate a PSU for it, though I know I have one or more that will work...but where did I put that bin of PSU's?

20210822_210454.jpg

20210822_210502.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, leech said:

Finally had a chance to play with mine last night, and it is fantastic!  Need more games to utilize pokey / YM, but otherwise this is a top notch device! 

I have to say the demo music having the Shinobi music is spot on!

The Dragon Fly has a YM2151 synth chip. That is the same one that was used in quite a number of arcade games so it stands to reason it would sound the same or really close.

• Like 1